Parallel Channels Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

17 Jan 2018

Hi

I'm following a new tutorial where they have an audio clip on an audio track and then make 2 duplicate channels to house insert fx (1 for reverb, 1 for delay)

To repeat this in reason, I would just create 2 parallel channels from the source channel?

However they then use the original channel signal to sidechain the reverb and delay. To repeat this in reason would I have to have a spider audio merger/splitter in the original channel and connect from here to each parallel channel input? I'm just not 100% on the best way of replicating this

Cheers
Graeme

Loque

17 Jan 2018

I guess in this case it does not make a difference to use parallel or duplicate channels.

And yes, you need to split the parallel ouput from the original to have multiple outputs for the side chains.
Reason12, Win10

graeme75

17 Jan 2018

Thanks Loque. Does duplicating the channel take more CPU as the sample is replicated 3 times in the sequencer?

Loque

17 Jan 2018

graeme75 wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Thanks Loque. Does duplicating the channel take more CPU as the sample is replicated 3 times in the sequencer?
Never checked, sry. But i guess parallel channels are most cpu friendly.
Reason12, Win10

Voyager

17 Jan 2018

graeme75 wrote:
17 Jan 2018

Hi

I'm following a new tutorial where they have an audio clip on an audio track and then make 2 duplicate channels to house insert fx (1 for reverb, 1 for delay)

To repeat this in reason, I would just create 2 parallel channels from the source channel?

However they then use the original channel signal to sidechain the reverb and delay. To repeat this in reason would I have to have a spider audio merger/splitter in the original channel and connect from here to each parallel channel input? I'm just not 100% on the best way of replicating this

Cheers
Graeme

This is the technique i use too, i parallel channel my fx and set full wet and tweak and blend from there. In order to use sidechain you must split the parallel main channel and connect the splitted outs to your sidechain input devices.

Since recently i use Pump Sidechain from Sonicbits.io , no more need to use a splitter, you just add a Pump device and it's ready to sidechain.

graeme75

17 Jan 2018

Thanks for the info Voyager. So would the set up be

Original channel: has a audio merger on it and connection from parallel goes in here

Parallel channels: connect from merger to inputs

I would then need to take 2 more connections from merger to the side chain inputs on each parallel channel?

I actually managed to pick up the Pump RE during last sale but not managed to use it yet. How would it simplify set up above. Can you feed an audio signal ie the original one into Pump?

Cheers

Voyager

17 Jan 2018

graeme75 wrote:
17 Jan 2018

Thanks for the info Voyager. So would the set up be

Original channel: has a audio merger on it and connection from parallel goes in here

Parallel channels: connect from merger to inputs

I would then need to take 2 more connections from merger to the side chain inputs on each parallel channel?

I actually managed to pick up the Pump RE during last sale but not managed to use it yet. How would it simplify set up above. Can you feed an audio signal ie the original one into Pump?

Cheers

Not a merger, you need a splitter.

You create a audio splitter and connect the original channel parallel output to the splitter input, then you should have four outputs from that splitter were you can hook up to the parallel channel inputs and the sidechain inputs as well.

graeme75

17 Jan 2018

Excellent many thanks. Does this set up mean that the 2 parallel channels only have the processed sound coming through and none of the dry? (Assuming the wet/dry on each effect is at 100%) ?

Voyager

17 Jan 2018

graeme75 wrote:
17 Jan 2018

Excellent many thanks. Does this set up mean that the 2 parallel channels only have the processed sound coming through and none of the dry? (Assuming the wet/dry on each effect is at 100%) ?

Exactly ;)

• Information