Thor/Europa FM creative tip

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scratchnsnifff

15 Jan 2018

Over the weekend I rediscovered Thor’s ability to use an audio input as a modulator for Thor’s 3 oscillators

Using a waveform in Europa with the audio routed into Thor’s inputs

Thor’s matrix
Audio input 1 -> osc1 FM

Find a wavetable in Thor (fixed or random sines works like a charm)

Either draw a waveform in Europa or pick a wavetable

Mess with any and every knob in Europa
Harmonic engine on random gain with an LFO on the position
Modifiers
Spectral filter

Makes me wish the props would make even more creative features for their synths

Does anyone else have any awesome creative routings they would like to share with the class?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

15 Jan 2018

I like my fm scaled by a short envelope, mainly for plucks to give it a more aggressive attack. Sometimes a LFO is better for that. Put this on a filter for trumpet metallic sounds too. Try to figure out the right scale amount.
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

15 Jan 2018

Loque wrote:
15 Jan 2018
I like my fm scaled by a short envelope, mainly for plucks to give it a more aggressive attack. Sometimes a LFO is better for that. Put this on a filter for trumpet metallic sounds too. Try to figure out the right scale amount.
Ahh that’s a good one! I like making Thor fm basses with fm scaled by the modifier and then automating the modifier 1 knob in small amounts to add some variation, never thought of trying an envelope or LFO though

Marco Raaphorst

15 Jan 2018

yes, that kind of programming on the Thor is great. FM is what I love.

still own my DX100 which nowadays sounds more analog than back in the day :)

wireless

15 Jan 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
15 Jan 2018
Over the weekend I rediscovered Thor’s ability to use an audio input as a modulator for Thor’s 3 oscillators

Thor’s matrix
Audio input 1 -> osc1 FM

Modifiers
Spectral filter

Does anyone else have any awesome creative routings they would like to share with the class?
Hya scratchnsnifff,
What a great idea - thanks for sharing. I've had loads of unusual results from playing with this.

Can I offer a tip for anyone trying this - put both the Europa and Thor inside a Combinator (after you have them set up, select both, right-click and select 'combine'). I tried setting this up and was initially getting frustrated with lack of any output. Then I realised that the issue was to trigger both instruments at the same time from the keyboard - hence put them in a combinator and job done!

Thanks again...

scratchnsnifff

15 Jan 2018

wireless wrote:
15 Jan 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
15 Jan 2018

Thor’s matrix
Audio input 1 -> osc1 FM

Modifiers
Spectral filter

Hya scratchnsnifff,
What a great idea - thanks for sharing. I've had loads of unusual results from playing with this.

Can I offer a tip for anyone trying this - put both the Europa and Thor inside a Combinator (after you have them set up, select both, right-click and select 'combine'). I tried setting this up and was initially getting frustrated with lack of any output. Then I realised that the issue was to trigger both instruments at the same time from the keyboard - hence put them in a combinator and job done!

Thanks again...

Haha I always forget not everyone automatically creates a combinator, the combinator is 100% always the first thing added. Then I add instruments. But anyways I’m glad you like the tip/idea! It’s fun and works with any reason synth. It’s just more interesting when using instruments that have waveform modifiers
:D

• Information