Recycle 2.2

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
d-i-s-c-o-v-o-i-d

13 Jan 2018

Do you see any added benefit using Recycle 2.2 in addition to Reason 10? You are able to pencil in and manipulate markers, then bounce to REX file in Reason. What I can't figure out is how pitch shifting samples in Reason 10. Also, can you auto-generating transient markers at 0-points in Reason 10? I used to use Recycle for this function, can't figure out how to do this in Reason 10... Do I have to get Recycle 2.2 to do these things? Just curious what reasons any of you might have for still using Recycle - or whether some of this functionality has been built in to Reason.

Thanks!

Harmen

13 Jan 2018

There are some modulation options in Recycle; envelope and LFO, EQ, compression. This you can't do in Reason.
Maybe also the Time sign of the loop you can change in Recycle, I believe reason can't make a 3/4 into 4/4 Rex file and visa versa.
Other than that you can slice audio and put it in Dr Rex or Nurse in Reason.

wahla

d-i-s-c-o-v-o-i-d

14 Jan 2018

Harmen wrote:
13 Jan 2018
There are some modulation options in Recycle; envelope and LFO, EQ, compression. This you can't do in Reason.
Maybe also the Time sign of the loop you can change in Recycle, I believe reason can't make a 3/4 into 4/4 Rex file and visa versa.
Other than that you can slice audio and put it in Dr Rex or Nurse in Reason.

wahla
Thanks for your reply! I think I'm gonna have to buy Recycle. I work with sampled loops and need to be able to transform them.

I love Kong in a lot of ways, and acknowledge the modulation and transformation capabilities, but I think there are some real problems with that instrument that could be easily fixed in an update. I'm in the process of making a list of these problems. I feel like I've absorbed the Kong section of the user manual and peeped enough tutorials that these issues I'm identifying are real and not just a user deficiency. That being said, I hope to float a few of these issues to the forum to make sure I have overlooked anything before I make my feature suggestions in the correct forum section.

Thanks again!

d,void

groggy1

14 Jan 2018

I have recycle, but haven’t used it in a while. I think now that reason supports creating Rex loops directly, I don’t find recycle needed.

About the only thing I miss from recycle is the ability to choose the sensitivity for transients manually.

But the workflow in reason to create a Rex loop is just so much more natural and easy. If you have any questions on how to do it, feel free to ask

syncanonymous

15 Jan 2018

ZOOM!!!

previous discussion, check out my screenshots (near end of pg2)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7502704
a MASSIVE difference in waveform height zoom
Recycle allows nearly full screen lane height
Reason is nowhere near that amount of detail
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

d-i-s-c-o-v-o-i-d

16 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
15 Jan 2018
ZOOM!!!

HELL YEAH! I'm gonna have to get it. No doubt. Thanks for your reply.

dustmoses

16 Jan 2018

Recycle is absolutely worthwhile you can chop stuff up much more quickly and easily. I would NEVER pay full price though, check KVR classified and ask around here, I paid under 50 for my license transfer.

househoppin09

16 Jan 2018

I also have ReCycle and can confirm that it's still worthwhile if you tend to do a lot of detailed loop manipulation, slicing, etc.

syncanonymous

17 Jan 2018

d-i-s-c-o-v-o-i-d wrote:
16 Jan 2018
syncanonymous wrote:
15 Jan 2018
ZOOM!!!

HELL YEAH! I'm gonna have to get it. No doubt. Thanks for your reply.
but of course :-) now, using those zoom sliders can be a real drag, tho...that is one area Recycle could really use improvement. Nevertheless, the control is there.

syncanonymous

17 Jan 2018

dustmoses wrote:
16 Jan 2018
Recycle is absolutely worthwhile you can chop stuff up much more quickly and easily. I would NEVER pay full price though, check KVR classified and ask around here, I paid under 50 for my license transfer.
I do not understand this don’t pay full price for Recycle business. If you want to support PHeads, then pay them, no? I just purchased a new computer which has been spec’d to run Reason. I am gonna buy a new full version of Reason 10 so I can have multiple versions on multiple machines.

pushedbutton

17 Jan 2018

I'd say it's borderline worth it on sale if you're a casual user. If, however, you want to get into refill production and take it seriously then it's essential. I have it, I don't use it a lot but when that certain time comes along when you know you're going to be sampling a beat and messing with it's tempo it's a more direct solution to the built-in Reason way.
I don't go in for this 'support the developers by buying everything' view. It was was useless crap then then I'd advise you to treat it as such and not buy it. It's not useless, it's just a very specific tool for a very specific but common use scenario. You can get by without it but you can also get by without a fridge in your house if you're willing to visit the shop every day.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

United South

17 Jan 2018

Just bought it for $99 playing with it now. Being able to align/chops to bars for perfect loops,beat detection and the slider sensitivity control was worth it to me.

syncanonymous

17 Jan 2018

ok, I had a look at prop shop today. Those screenshots I posted are of Recycle 2.1. I don’t see an upgrade path from 2.1 to 2.2. In the case of upgrading a version, I agree it should be discounted for owners of previous versions. I’d rather pay 50 than have to pay the full 100 for 2.2 cuz I paid in full for Recycle 2.0 back in the day. I didn’t check with Props about upgrade path, tho...Is there one or do they expect full whack for a point update? Apologies if it sounds like I am flip-flopping

I am usually not one who goes for the software rental model either. My upgrade path through Reason has been 1.0 to 2.5 to 4.0 to 8.0, so I don’t bite on every interation...that said, I am using Reason more in the past few years than ever before, so I am likely to upgrade more often.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

submonsterz

17 Jan 2018

I think it's so very over priced and not that good what so ever....
I still use an old non developed and abandoned
Software to do most rex stuff.
PH could take note of it and see why it wipes the floor with recycle still to this day from many many years ago .
Only problem and only thing that guts me and the software is it was only allowed to do mono rex :(. If it had been allowed to develope the creating of stereo rex files recycle would had died a sudden death way back then.
Ohh the software is zero X beat creator .
If you have ever used it you'll know what I am talking about and why I say what I do here.
If you haven't used it then look it up before knocking what I say .
And recycles beat detection is rubbish in comparison even to zero X trust me on that .
And zero X shuffle and re arrange is so awesome too.
Look it up and see how props really are taking the biscuit with recycle any version .

United South

17 Jan 2018

submonsterz wrote:
17 Jan 2018
PH could take note of it and see why it wipes the floor with recycle still to this day from many many years ago .
Only problem and only thing that guts me and the software is it was only allowed to do mono rex :(. If it had been allowed to develope the creating of stereo rex files recycle would had died a sudden death way back then.
If you have ever used it you'll know what I am talking about and why I say what I do here.
And recycles beat detection is rubbish in comparison even to zero X trust me on that .
Look it up and see how props really are taking the biscuit with recycle any version .
I agree recycle is not the best editor but we have no choice if you want to work seamless with loops that match the tempo in Dr Rex using stereo files. You just got to pay to play.

submonsterz

18 Jan 2018

United South wrote:
17 Jan 2018
submonsterz wrote:
17 Jan 2018
I agree recycle is not the best editor but we have no choice if you want to work seamless with loops that match the tempo in Dr Rex using stereo files. You just got to pay to play.
If I remember when just before it dissapeared from the face of the earth it was in FL
mixman and FL had something going on.
I heard at the time they were planning to upgrade it to rex 2 etc but think it came down to props licensing issues etc etc if that's true shame
Props really needed to bring recycle into the future but they didn't and they showed the format up stopping anyone taking it further than they did or could and for a price that would shame Thier own product. It seems like it's been one of props leaving it niche to them leave it and milk the daylights out of it because as you say people had no other choice if they wanted that as I'd say very basic functionality.
I wished that props would had implemented something very similar as Thier reason integration of rex and sample editing into reason instead of the milk method they have right now with recycle ....... If people refused to buy at any price they would have to do something to move on. But too many people are happy to give in and just join the milk wagon giving them no need to. Why would they when they don't need to .

AttenuationHz

18 Jan 2018

Technically you could use Kong the same way you would use Recycle. Load a loop onto Kong and copy the loop so the loop is on 4 pads. Once you have the loop on 4 pads you can slice the samples similarly to how you would with a rex file using the edit sample window, crop or L/R marker position. Have the kick on 1 pad Hat on the next Kick and snare on the next etc. When in the edit sample window just rename each slice to something different [0], [1].... You won't be able to export as rex but it will be the same as a rex slice. What ReCycle can do compared to doing that in Kong is apply envelopes to the crossover between slices so you can achieve slices with no glitches on the 0 crossing (waveform getting cut off before 0 causing an audible click), The way around that is to use either a gate in Reason or use the amp envelope on the sample.

The thing about rex is it automatically decreases the volume of audio -3dB. It is well worth using and having if you have a lot audio loops. There is a form of rex editing on the sequencer but it is very light in terms of what ReCycle is capable of. Still on sale?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

syncanonymous

01 Feb 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
17 Jan 2018
ok, I had a look at prop shop today. Those screenshots I posted are of Recycle 2.1. I don’t see an upgrade path from 2.1 to 2.2. In the case of upgrading a version, I agree it should be discounted for owners of previous versions. I’d rather pay 50 than have to pay the full 100 for 2.2 cuz I paid in full for Recycle 2.0 back in the day. I didn’t check with Props about upgrade path, tho...Is there one or do they expect full whack for a point update? Apologies if it sounds like I am flip-flopping

I am usually not one who goes for the software rental model either. My upgrade path through Reason has been 1.0 to 2.5 to 4.0 to 8.0, so I don’t bite on every interation...that said, I am using Reason more in the past few years than ever before, so I am likely to upgrade more often.
I stand corrected! :-D
https://www.propellerheads.se/download/ ... le_updates

I went to DL Recycle 2.1 from my PHead acct and lo and behold, the upgrade to 2.2.4 is free as far as I can tell! hoorah!

syncanonymous

01 Feb 2018

Ok, but dang it propellerheads!!! I greatly suffer staring at white backgrounds. With Recycle 2.1 the ui colours could be user configged. Not on 2.2....white and blue YUK!...doesn't appear possible anymore. I don't know if 2.1 will run on Win 10 :x

• Information