Hungry Midi Note Canibals "Bug"?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chrischrischris

12 Jan 2018

Hi,

When Duplicating Midi Notes then CTRL Left to move them any Midi Notes that "Pass" the same Midi Note Vanishes!

I'm sure this can't be standard behaviour for many reasons?

I have a video but need some way of attatching it here.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Ahornberg

12 Jan 2018

There can't be 2 MIDI notes of the same pitch starting at the exact same time.

WongoTheSane

12 Jan 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
12 Jan 2018
a.k.a. the Paulo Exclusion Principle. :lol:

Ahornberg

12 Jan 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
12 Jan 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
12 Jan 2018
a.k.a. the Paulo Exclusion Principle. :lol:
each midi note has a dedicated spin and is entangled with the other notes in a clip ... so reason seems to be a quantum computing system :cool:

Ahornberg

12 Jan 2018

since today I never duplicated notes and moved them backwards ... this effect only seem to happen in Reason (I tried Reaper, Bitwig and Live too)

WongoTheSane

12 Jan 2018

As Ahornberg said, there cannot be two identical notes in a track, it wouldn't make any sense in the MIDI protocol (much like in the real world: press the same piano key with two fingers simultaneously, it will still only play once). So when two notes are superimposed in a way that would create a duplicate, one of them is automatically removed. In the case where you slide notes with alt-arrow, it's an inconvenience, I agree. The only way around it is to cut the notes and paste them at their destination directly (or circle around the duplicates: move them one semitone up, move them left, then back one semitone down, to avoid superimposing them).

chimp_spanner

12 Jan 2018

Yeah agreed with OP, it is mildly frustrating behaviour. If you mouse drag, there's no problem. The flipside is that Reason doesn't allow double notes, which 9/10 is a good thing!

Ahornberg

12 Jan 2018

Oh you can have to identical MIDI notes. Simply add a new note lane and duplicate a MIDI clip so that they play simultaneously. That's weird :o :shock:

• Information