The disappearing left and right loop indicators

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
edendrums

09 Jan 2018

I'm brand new on this site. Please be kind
I am also a relatively new user of 9.5 having used Reason 3 for a number of years. I don't currently know what i will be able to bring to the forum with regard to support for others but I'll do my best with any problems someone might need solved where I've encountered similar issues

Anways, Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction as I have tried everything with no result.

My problem.
Then numerical left and right loop indicator marker points for looping etc that are on the transport bar to the right of play record etc have disappeared and i don't know how to get them back. This is probably a very silly post but it's driving me mad. Does anyone know what i must have done for the loop indicators to no longer be part of the transport bar along the bottom of Reasons main screen. It doesn't matter which template i bring up, midi , midi with audio, audio alone etc, no templates now have the left / right marker loop point indicators. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Stephen @ Edendrums

WongoTheSane

09 Jan 2018

You don't have these?

transport.JPG
transport.JPG (36.53 KiB) Viewed 7775 times

What is your monitor's resolution? I know that the rightmost elements can "disappear" with lower resolutions, but the locators seem to be in the safe zone (at least on my screen)...

EnochLight

09 Jan 2018

edendrums wrote:
09 Jan 2018
I am also a relatively new user of 9.5 having used Reason 3 for a number of years. I don't currently know what i will be able to bring to the forum with regard to support for others but I'll do my best with any problems someone might need solved where I've encountered similar issues

Anways, Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction as I have tried everything with no result.

My problem.
Then numerical left and right loop indicator marker points for looping etc that are on the transport bar to the right of play record etc have disappeared and i don't know how to get them back. This is probably a very silly post but it's driving me mad. Does anyone know what i must have done for the loop indicators to no longer be part of the transport bar along the bottom of Reasons main screen. It doesn't matter which template i bring up, midi , midi with audio, audio alone etc, no templates now have the left / right marker loop point indicators. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Stephen @ Edendrums
Keyboard shortcuts are your best friends. CNTRL+left click in the sequencer to set the left loop marker; ALT+left click to set the right loop marker.

You can also just select the audio or MIDI clip and hit the letter "P".
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

edendrums

09 Jan 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
09 Jan 2018
You don't have these?

Hello. Thanks for your reply. Yes that's exactly what is missing from my transport bar

transport.JPG

What is your monitor's resolution? I know that the rightmost elements can "disappear" with lower resolutions, but the locators seem to be in the safe zone (at least on my screen)...

turbopage
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2018

Menu
Window: Show Transport
Music Will Save Us

edendrums

09 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
09 Jan 2018
edendrums wrote:
09 Jan 2018

My problem.
Thanks in advance.
Stephen @ Edendrums
Keyboard shortcuts are your best friends. CNTRL+left click in the sequencer to set the left loop marker; ALT+left click to set the right loop marker.

You can also just select the audio or MIDI clip and hit the letter "P".

edendrums

09 Jan 2018

Thank you. That is great to know, but I would really like to find out why the left and right locators have vanished . Appreciated all the same.

WongoTheSane

09 Jan 2018

I'm almost certain that it's because your window is too small. The locators disappear when the window is shrunk below 1290 pixels (give or take a few, depending on the window's border width, etc). Is it possible that your window is smaller than that? Is your display 1280x960 by any chance?

normen

09 Jan 2018

This topic title would have been so much cooler in the "Reason Music" subforum ;)

Raveshaper

09 Jan 2018

Are you in Block Mode?

Bring up the sequencer view and click on "Song" in the top left above the instrument tracks.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

EnochLight

10 Jan 2018

Raveshaper wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Are you in Block Mode?

Bring up the sequencer view and click on "Song" in the top left above the instrument tracks.
You should be able to control/show loop points in both block or song mode. The demo video I did above was in block mode.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

calebbrennan

11 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
Raveshaper wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Are you in Block Mode?

You should be able to control/show loop points in both block or song mode. The demo video I did above was in block mode.
I also have not been able to access the left and right markers in the transport bar
I assumed they were eliminated in reason 10
I am at work now but will experiment with screen resolution when I get home tonight glad to hear that they still there somewhere

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

EnochLight

11 Jan 2018

calebbrennan wrote:
11 Jan 2018
I also have not been able to access the left and right markers in the transport bar
I am at work now but will experiment with screen resolution when I get home tonight glad to hear that they still there somewhere
No, they would never eliminate the loop markers - it's a fundamental part of any sequencer. They're right where they left them. Just drop any audio from Reason's own library into the sequencer. When an audio clip is created, select it, and hit the letter "p" on your keyboard. You'll instantly see the R/L loop markers engulf the clip as it plays back in a loop...

WongoTheSane

11 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
11 Jan 2018
calebbrennan wrote:
11 Jan 2018
No, they would never eliminate the loop markers - it's a fundamental part of any sequencer. They're right where they left them. Just drop any audio from Reason's own library into the sequencer. When an audio clip is created, select it, and hit the letter "p" on your keyboard. You'll instantly see the R/L loop markers engulf the clip as it plays back in a loop...

I think they're not talking about the locators markers in the time bar, but the numerical counters in the transport bar (see my pic in the second post of this thread), which do disappear when there's not enough space to accommodate them (as do several other elements). Simply shrink your window horizontally to see this. I remembered this because during the R9 public beta, Joey said that the "Drop to Allihoopa" icon had disappeared, then realized he was testing on a laptop with a low resolution. It's weird that there's no mechanism to show/scroll the missing elements.

EnochLight

12 Jan 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
11 Jan 2018
I think they're not talking about the locators markers in the time bar, but the numerical counters in the transport bar (see my pic in the second post of this thread), which do disappear when there's not enough space to accommodate them (as do several other elements). Simply shrink your window horizontally to see this. I remembered this because during the R9 public beta, Joey said that the "Drop to Allihoopa" icon had disappeared, then realized he was testing on a laptop with a low resolution. It's weird that there's no mechanism to show/scroll the missing elements.
Ahhhhh - got you. I can honestly say I rarely - if never - use the counter controls in the transport for the loop markers! I've also worked at the same resolution for many years, hence why I probably never noticed this issue. Yeah, it would be nice if there was a scroll bar or something when people do this.

That said, Reason's minimum operating resolution is 1280x768 resolution. Maybe Props should add an additional note to the system requirements that states "using Reason not in full-screen may result in some controls disappearing from the transport"?

househoppin09

12 Jan 2018

For god's sake, yes, there needs to at least be some visual indication of the fact that not all controls are being displayed. They could show just the edge of the first hidden control, fading off after a few pixels, or something like that. Otherwise you get very confused users, as in this thread and other previous ones. This is pretty basic UX stuff.

joeyluck

12 Jan 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
11 Jan 2018
EnochLight wrote:
11 Jan 2018

It does this as well for things in the Sequencer tool bar, such as transpose when editing audio.
Having an option to either edit/rearrange, or to scroll the toolbar and transport would be helpful (not only indicating to the user that there is more, but also allowing the user to access it without resizing a window or resolution). Would also be cool if being able to edit, have the ability to add things as well as subtract them. Like any of the other various things you find in the tool window.

calebbrennan

13 Jan 2018

by making my resolution 1280 x780
I can now see LR loacator in the transport bar

But if I ever go laptop I'll jus t use the sequencer LR indicators

some lessons learned here.

EnochLight

13 Jan 2018

calebbrennan wrote:
13 Jan 2018
by making my resolution 1280 x780
I can now see LR loacator in the transport bar

But if I ever go laptop I'll jus t use the sequencer LR indicators

some lessons learned here.
Virtually all laptops suitable to handle a DAW are at least 1280x780 these days. Is yours an older model?

EnochLight

13 Jan 2018

edendrums wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Thank you. That is great to know, but I would really like to find out why the left and right locators have vanished . Appreciated all the same.
Did you ever determine if this was because you are using Reason on a monitor with a resolution lower than the required 1280x768 resolution, or were you using Reason "windowed"? Seems like it was either one of these issues....

Welcome to the forums, BTW!

Voyager

18 Feb 2018

My monitor is a 22inch and i have some distance from it so i always used 1024x768 and if a use another resolution everything look too small and uncomfortable . I recently noticed too that some elements from the below menu have disapear like the marker indicators, the delay compensation and on left side, keys and groove, quantize, sync mode and send clock.

Problem is that i can't use a higher resolution because as i said it isn't comfortable and my eyes get tired quickly and replace it by a bigger monitor isn't possible because of space, so this is quite embarassing...

I maybe should try use a higher resolution and then try using a higher dpi see if it can compensate a bit.

EnochLight

18 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
18 Feb 2018
My monitor is a 22inch and i have some distance from it so i always used 1024x768 and if a use another resolution everything look too small and uncomfortable . I recently noticed too that some elements from the below menu have disapear like the marker indicators, the delay compensation and on left side, keys and groove, quantize, sync mode and send clock.

Problem is that i can't use a higher resolution because as i said it isn't comfortable and my eyes get tired quickly and replace it by a bigger monitor isn't possible because of space, so this is quite embarassing...

I maybe should try use a higher resolution and then try using a higher dpi see if it can compensate a bit.
Well, Reason's required minimum resolution is 1280x768, so... there's that. Why not use the required resolution (at least) and then use Windows scaling to make things look larger (though that might still make things disappear in Reason depending on how big you scale it)?

Set it to 1280 x 768, right click on your desktop, select "Display settings", and on the Display menu increase the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" to 125% or larger. You might have to restart Windows (or log off and back in) for the changes to take affect.

Voyager

22 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
18 Feb 2018

Well, Reason's required minimum resolution is 1280x768, so... there's that. Why not use the required resolution (at least) and then use Windows scaling to make things look larger (though that might still make things disappear in Reason depending on how big you scale it)?

Set it to 1280 x 768, right click on your desktop, select "Display settings", and on the Display menu increase the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" to 125% or larger. You might have to restart Windows (or log off and back in) for the changes to take affect.

That's was my initial thoughs as well, tried but didn't work. On top of my monitor i have my mono mixcube and the height and were it seats is fixed. Well i mean i could modify it but i feel it has a perfect position like that and don't want to mess with it.

So i need a monitor that has the same height as my 22" but could be slightly wider. After some research i found that a 29" ultrawide is exactly what i need. Same height but more width ( approximatively 8cm more on each side ). I think this would give me a little bit more comfort and help me to use a higher resolution to display everything in the bottom bar menu.

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2018

Wow I didn't even notice the numerical loop indicators. What do people use this for?

EnochLight

22 Feb 2018

aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2018
Wow I didn't even notice the numerical loop indicators. What do people use this for?
Precision. Also, sometimes entering a number is helpful.

• Information