Is there a pitch detector RE or VST

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
grizelda

09 Jan 2018

hello all friends,

Just to wondering if there is anything as RE or VST that I can put in the rack after an audio track for example to tell me the pitch of certain sounds if I loop/isolate them.

currently I am using reason 8 but upgrading to 10 when my new computer arrives. I use a piano tuner app on my phone at moment but it is not super accurate and he results vary depending on where I am holding the phone in the room

thank you for any helps

Grizel

Ahornberg

09 Jan 2018

Enable Rec.Source on the audio track you want to analyse, then create another audio track and use the previous track as record input, then click on the tiny tuning fork left beneath the record input selector and you should see it.

normen

09 Jan 2018

And this is not intended to sound condescending but learning how to hear pitch and adapting it by ear is a skill everybody doing music should acquire. Just play the right note alongside and tune the kick, sub or whatever until it "locks in". Doing the routing or inserting a pitch detector is so much wasted time, especially when you need to tune a whole drum kit or something.

Loque

09 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
09 Jan 2018
And this is not intended to sound condescending but learning how to hear pitch and adapting it by ear is a skill everybody doing music should acquire. Just play the right note alongside and tune the kick, sub or whatever until it "locks in". Doing the routing or inserting a pitch detector is so much wasted time, especially when you need to tune a whole drum kit or something.
Not everybody has the perfect ear. Nothing is wrong in using a tool for it, but maybe the creators of tuning tools for pianos that cost around 500 may be wrong...
Reason12, Win10

normen

09 Jan 2018

Loque wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Not everybody has the perfect ear. Nothing is wrong in using a tool for it, but maybe the creators of tuning tools for pianos that cost around 500 may be wrong...
You don't need the perfect ear, just training. I'll admit that I am quite bad at hearing music vertically (i.e. harmonic) myself, I am more of a horizontal (i.e. rhythm/timing) listener so I also had a hard time with that in the beginning.

Again, this is advice from somebody who has been there and had to deal with it because profession, not somebody saying "Lulz, y u no hear pitch?"

Edit: And Piano tuning is a WHOLE different topic :)

FLVZ

09 Jan 2018

Loque wrote:
09 Jan 2018
normen wrote:
09 Jan 2018
You've missed the point of what he's saying. His advice is actually quite relevant to the original post!

Ahornberg

09 Jan 2018

It depends on what you want to achieve by the tuning process. For me, tuning a guitar with a tuning device feels like painting by numbers. On the other hand, tuning unusual microtonal intervals seems rather impossible without a tool, at least for me.

grizelda

09 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
09 Jan 2018
hi norman no it is ok i have seen you are long time contributor to this board and very experienced and i value you input. thank you.

my one problem with your advice is just that a lot of the stuff i have sampled from records on record players pitched down or up (usually down lol) but i never remeber this or know the key of the original song. from what i can tell a lot of the time it is not a perfect note if that makes sense

grizelda

09 Jan 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Jan 2018
On the other hand, tuning unusual microtonal intervals seems rather impossible without a tool, at least for me.
yes this one is my problem

normen

09 Jan 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Jan 2018
It depends on what you want to achieve by the tuning process. For me, tuning a guitar with a tuning device feels like painting by numbers. On the other hand, tuning unusual microtonal intervals seems rather impossible without a tool, at least for me.
Of course you need a reference note but if you have it it's relatively easy. You have to listen to the "beat" (Schwebung in german) instead of the pitch. When the notes get very close they start to do a "wobbling" effect and the slower that "wobbling" gets the closer you are to the correct pitch.

selig
RE Developer

09 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Of course you need a reference note but if you have it it's relatively easy. You have to listen to the "beat" (Schwebung in german) instead of the pitch. When the notes get very close they start to do a "wobbling" effect and the slower that "wobbling" gets the closer you are to the correct pitch.
My personal rant:
I totally agree with Normen here, that you CAN learn to do this and it’s a skill worth learning for so many things in music production.

Secondly, one problem with tuning everything perfectly is that you loose one quality that defines your style. From singers that don’t know how to bend notes, (and drummers that don’t know how to push and pull for tension), to using samples that are not quite in tune but sound “right” (better than if they were in tune). De La Soul, Public Enemy, and others were masters of this IMO

There are also cases where there is no perfect “in tune” at all points in a sample due to the performers using pitch (and again time) expressively, so you have to learn to use your gut and “feel” the music.

Grab that pitch bend level and “play” the sample to make it “yours”! Try not to get seduced by “instant gratification”.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

09 Jan 2018

There are times when matching by ear is better but I've also had instances where I've needed some help from software. It really depends on the sound and what is going on around it.

I'm unsure if this will work, as I picked up a copy cheap in a sale and haven't yet had a chance to use it.
https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/h ... ngkey-mk2/

I have also used this to try and see what frequencies are contained in a sample or synth sound.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ianalyz ... 9513?mt=12

Dante

09 Jan 2018

You can render a monophonic audio track to MIDI in Reason. Viola - pitch info in piano roll.

MAL9000

09 Jan 2018

Buy a copy of Computer Music Magazine and install this from their free plugs (You can buy a print copy or buy from the CM App)

Some of the Free plugins aren't bad

grizelda

10 Jan 2018

hi everyone i just wanted to say thank you for all the great response! i totally agree with normen and selig and others saying to learn by the ear which is what i mainly try to do but sometimes i get pesky sample that i just cant match for many reason that the selig pointed out perfectly.

thank you mal and dante and dioxide and ahornberg for their practical suggestions which i will be certainly to try!

thank you

Joe Kold

10 Jan 2018

Grain Can do that for you [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Information