RV7000 is highly under rated

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Voyager

10 Jan 2018

Love RV7000 for sure, use it in every project. Still i though it was capable of almost everything until i heard the Synapse DR-1...good lord on pads this reverb is glorious, couldn't achieve that with RV7000 ( could anyone ? ).

BRIGGS

11 Jan 2018

RV7000mk2 rules!!!

I gets even better as Impulses can make it sound like anything!!!

I haven't bothered to sample impulses from the Blackhole. It's a different beast. You could if you wanted to.

Also...I've spent so many hours programming the Subtractor...It's like an extention of my brain now!!!
r11s

househoppin09

11 Jan 2018

Exowildebeest wrote:
10 Jan 2018
I only wish it took a bit more of a "hybrid" approach to IR - e.g. some sort of internal modulation of the IR to make it less static. Some algorithmic wizardry, pre-convolution EQ or anything exciting.
Another thing you should check out is Overloud REmatrix (https://overloud.com/products/rematrix), which I haven't used but seems tailor made for what you want.

Krell

11 Jan 2018

Yep agree, the RV is a great verb that sounds way better than I expected. I quite like darker sounding, dense reverbs so I'll use Valhalla Vintage Verb and my old go-to the UAD Lexi 224 which is really great too.
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

EdGrip

11 Jan 2018

Lots of Lexicon talk here. If that's your flavour, do check out Valhalla VintageVerb. It's my favourite. DR-1 is in that vein too, but I don't find it to sound as interesting, and of course the controls are much more limited. It's a simpler thing.

But I must spend some more time with RV7000ii. I neglect it.

sdst
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2018

the one that sounds like Lexicon is the synapse Reverb

RV7000 has the best interface, but I notice the Decay a plastic sound, or am I doing something wrong?

or maybe using the cv Decay input?

miscend

11 Jan 2018

I have the Eventide Blackhole plugin. It only does one thing and I never find it useful for my own stuff. Maybe if I was mixing sci-fi films.

Anyone ever tried a Bricasti reverb?

Hydrosonic

11 Jan 2018

miscend wrote:
11 Jan 2018
I have the Eventide Blackhole plugin. It only does one thing and I never find it useful for my own stuff. Maybe if I was mixing sci-fi films.

I use the Bricasti IRs with RV7000mkII sounds really nice. Just google search for them. I would like to try Liquidsonics - Seventh Heaven reverb but I don't have an Ilok USB dongle.

selig
RE Developer

11 Jan 2018

Hydrosonic wrote:
11 Jan 2018
miscend wrote:
11 Jan 2018

I use the Bricasti IRs with RV7000mkII sounds really nice. Just google search for them. I would like to try Liquidsonics - Seventh Heaven reverb but I don't have an Ilok USB dongle.
Just use Reverberate 2 (no iLok required) - the included Bricasti Fusion IRs are amazing!
Selig Audio, LLC

Hydrosonic

11 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
11 Jan 2018
Hydrosonic wrote:
11 Jan 2018

Just use Reverberate 2 (no iLok required) - the included Bricasti Fusion IRs are amazing!
Ahh right thanks for the heads up :)

strangers
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2018

RV7000 is generally the first reverb I reach for. It's very straightforward and gets the job done nicely. I have been experimenting with a few other reverbs lately, one of which I'm surprisingly impressed by since it rarely seems to get much talk around here. Going to throw it out there... Rob Papen's RPVerb. At first, the interface/layout can give off an unwelcoming impression but dive in and you'll quickly change your mind. At least, I did.

seqoi

11 Jan 2018

And verdict is...we all love RV7000 and it is and was highly superb coded reverb for that times back then and even now. I just wanted to point out that it's not LX480 replacement because it does not even sound the same (difference can be easily heard). Reverbs are (imo) like instruments. You need it for specific scenario or not.

The thing is RV7000 appear to be one damn fine instrument capable to play on almost any scenario. Plus it is VERY easy to work with.

EnochLight

12 Jan 2018

seqoi wrote:
11 Jan 2018
And verdict is...we all love RV7000 and it is and was highly superb coded reverb for that times back then and even now. I just wanted to point out that it's not LX480 replacement because it does not even sound the same

The LX480 is a plugin - I would imagine they sound a bit different. What you prefer is completely subjective. But if you meant an actual hardware Lexicon 480L, I'd say that the RV7000 - with the ability to have an almost infinite amount at one cost - sounds perfectly fine compared to a single $3000+ USD Lexicon 480L! Just say'n... ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

FrankJaeger

12 Jan 2018

I love the RV7000 a lot. One of my favorite presets is the Filmscore one. I just turn the decay up for a longer tail and voila, spacey reverb goodness.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

seqoi

13 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
12 Jan 2018
seqoi wrote:
11 Jan 2018
And verdict is...we all love RV7000 and it is and was highly superb coded reverb for that times back then and even now. I just wanted to point out that it's not LX480 replacement because it does not even sound the same

The LX480 is a plugin - I would imagine they sound a bit different. What you prefer is completely subjective. But if you meant an actual hardware Lexicon 480L, I'd say that the RV7000 - with the ability to have an almost infinite amount at one cost - sounds perfectly fine compared to a single $3000+ USD Lexicon 480L! Just say'n... ;)
Yes what you and i prefer is subjective but OP said he is thinking RV7000 sound just as good as 480. I may not understand him well and if this debate goes under "we are speaking subjective thing here" then okay we can all say various things and all of us are right in their own subjective way.

I merely tried to point out that RV7000 is not 480 replacement simply because it does NOT sound the same and difference is actually not subtle. And you can try if you don't have access to real hardware by testing Relab LX480. Not saying RV7000 is worse or better just different.

On top of that Relab is offering free license to anyone capable on pinpointing plugin vs hardware (it's on their site or youtube or GS i can't remember now). All i know noone from GS to this day was able to pinpoint it and many tried. Including people which own real hardware. There was even funny drama back then where some user reported real hardwware is different then plugin and developers publicly asked for his own samples of difference and it turned out that user lied completely and not even owning real hardware (that was funny episode). All of that speak volume about Relab emulation of iconic reverb which is why i pulled it out in this thread because OP (i think) does not have access to real 480L (i had real hardware for more then a decade and my opinion is Relab nailed it perfectly - just my opinion). That's why i told him to try Relab480L and compare it to RV7000 and i pointed him smaller spaces, ambiences and rooms to compare. I don't think there's harm in pointing a plugin especially if he think two various reverb devices sound the same like he is thinking (maybe i totally missed his point).

It truly was friendly advice. Like i said i am very emotional about reverbs and i truly want to recommend best of the best. And yea i use RV7000 while at the same time owning all Relab, TC and Lexicon reverb plugins (i never liked Aether and few others which are famous and IR never did the rick for me for music poroduction but for weird FX and manglig it is awesome).

Cheers and have some nice weekend.

EnochLight

13 Jan 2018

seqoi wrote:
13 Jan 2018
Yes what you and i prefer is subjective but OP said he is thinking RV7000 sound just as good as 480. I may not understand him well and if this debate goes under "we are speaking subjective thing here" then okay we can all say various things and all of us are right in their own subjective way.

I merely tried to point out that RV7000 is not 480 replacement simply because it does NOT sound the same and difference is actually not subtle. And you can try if you don't have access to real hardware by testing Relab LX480. Not saying RV7000 is worse or better just different.

On top of that Relab is offering free license to anyone capable on pinpointing plugin vs hardware (it's on their site or youtube or GS i can't remember now). All i know noone from GS to this day was able to pinpoint it and many tried. Including people which own real hardware. There was even funny drama back then where some user reported real hardwware is different then plugin and developers publicly asked for his own samples of difference and it turned out that user lied completely and not even owning real hardware (that was funny episode). All of that speak volume about Relab emulation of iconic reverb which is why i pulled it out in this thread because OP (i think) does not have access to real 480L (i had real hardware for more then a decade and my opinion is Relab nailed it perfectly - just my opinion). That's why i told him to try Relab480L and compare it to RV7000 and i pointed him smaller spaces, ambiences and rooms to compare. I don't think there's harm in pointing a plugin especially if he think two various reverb devices sound the same like he is thinking (maybe i totally missed his point).

It truly was friendly advice. Like i said i am very emotional about reverbs and i truly want to recommend best of the best. And yea i use RV7000 while at the same time owning all Relab, TC and Lexicon reverb plugins (i never liked Aether and few others which are famous and IR never did the rick for me for music poroduction but for weird FX and manglig it is awesome).

Cheers and have some nice weekend.
I hear you; it's all good. ;) The last time I had access to a hardware 480L was approximately 13-14 years ago (spent about 2 months with one in a friend's studio which, sadly, has since closed). At the time I was using Reason 3.0 (I think), and to my ears - the difference was negligible - if anything at all (hence my "subjective" comment earlier). That said, maybe one of the chips or cards inside his unit was bad and the sound of his unit was different from yours? Who knows...

At any rate, I'm just very glad we have software versions of these things now. The cost for hardware has always been ridiculously high, IMHO, and prohibitive. It's such a different world we live in now. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

13 Jan 2018

Its true that the RV7000 is not a Lexicon, its "sound" is more of a bow to Lexicon imo. Its also hard to emulate a 480 on it with impulse responses as you don't capture the modulation.

But in terms of objective quality RV7000 its actually quite a bit better than the old Lexicon devices (i.e. 224 480 etc.). I mean obviously, those devices had terrible bit depths, slow processors and hence lots of noise and other compromises built in. But then again they have been built by people who know how to turn even the shortcomings into something usable (i.e. aliasing, noise levels etc) and make a "sound" from it.

As Enoch says, its just wonderful what one can play with these days without spending thousands of dollars. And its actually better than what your father had :)

selig
RE Developer

13 Jan 2018

seqoi wrote:
13 Jan 2018
EnochLight wrote:
12 Jan 2018

For me it all depends on what algorithms you're comparing to, and whether you're tying to find an exact match that you could substitute in a mix and not hear the difference, or whether you're trying to find another device that gives you the same end results. For me, RV-7000 is the latter, and not the former.

But to understand specifics you need to know as much about the person expressing their opinion as about the devices in question! It all depends on what you're using it for, and what is your typical use. For me, I'm talking more about hall algorithms, and uses on instruments/vocals (not drums). So does the plate algorithm sound the same? Haven't ever compared. Do the delays sound the same? Pretty sure not, due to how Lexicon does diffusion. Is there a resonance delay type effect in the RV-7k? Nope, neither is there a non-linear type - but the 480 doesn't have a spring either…

So there is nothing close to a 1:1 comparison between the two.

That being said, the Hall algorithm with room 4, and a bit more chorus/mod added, plus a few more things, allows me to use the RV7000 exactly as I would use the 480 in a mix on instruments and vocals. Nothing more, nothing less - but it's the only thing in Reason that even comes close.

It's a very similar thing to how I describe the master compressor in Reason. Does it sound exactly like the SSL quad (bus) compressor? I don't know, I've never compared side by side. But what it DOES do is allows me to use it EXACTLY how I use the SSL bus compressor, and get very similar results. But so does the Alan Smart compressor, and a few others, all of which do not stand up to a side by side comparison test.

But that's not the point - the point is "can it replace the device in question for the applications I need?". And that's a question ONLY the individual asking it can answer, because we all use things differently and for different purposes, and thus all have different opinions if just because of those facts.

And then when you mix in opinions…well, you get the idea. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

seqoi

15 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
13 Jan 2018

For me it all depends on what algorithms you're comparing to,
For me as well. Which is why i will repeat RV7000 is no replacement for 480 (if you want that sound). You said it yourself it's about algos - They both even exhibit different algorithms. On top of that 480 and plugin which emulate it will offer you about 80% more tweaking of mentioned algorithms.

Note that this (at least for me) is not debate whether you need or know to use additional controls i am again trying to point out there is vast difference to both devices and difference is not small. Starting from sound up to controls. I can hear that difference no problem. In busy mix - think not but then i am not mixing more then 8 tracks (i am old and simple person haha) again i am creating music by my own hearing sensibilites (when creating it) not by "will anyone be able to point that out in a mix" rule.

Anyway you better stop talking here i can not wait your new secret device. I feel bad because i am under impression public know more about it then i do. Can't wait as i own all of your devices. I can't guess by blurry photo..any ETA :)

selig
RE Developer

15 Jan 2018

seqoi wrote:
selig wrote:
13 Jan 2018

For me it all depends on what algorithms you're comparing to,
For me as well. Which is why i will repeat RV7000 is no replacement for 480 (if you want that sound). You said it yourself it's about algos - They both even exhibit different algorithms. On top of that 480 and plugin which emulate it will offer you about 80% more tweaking of mentioned algorithms.

Note that this (at least for me) is not debate whether you need or know to use additional controls i am again trying to point out there is vast difference to both devices and difference is not small. Starting from sound up to controls. I can hear that difference no problem. In busy mix - think not but then i am not mixing more then 8 tracks (i am old and simple person haha) again i am creating music by my own hearing sensibilites (when creating it) not by "will anyone be able to point that out in a mix" rule.

Anyway you better stop talking here i can not wait your new secret device. I feel bad because i am under impression public know more about it then i do. Can't wait as i own all of your devices. I can't guess by blurry photo..any ETA :)
We’re not saying the same thing. I’m saying the RV7000 IS a replacement for the 480 - but maybe only for me! I can get the same results from RV7000, but I’m only comparing the one or two things I used a 480 for.

More importantly, as a fan of Lexicon gear, the RV7000 works for me better than any other device or RE in reason as an algorithmic reverb. So if you compare features, they are not the same. But if you compare the two things I use a 480 for, they are.

This is why it’s important to know the person making the claim, their music, and their application. If you don’t know the above about me, you would think I’m crazy comparing the RV7000 to a Lexicon. But hopefully once you know how limited my comparison is, my statement makes more sense.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

hurricane
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2018

Oh god.

Subtractor can pretty much recreate a bare bones single oscillator sawtooth dinky bass that I can create on my Minimoog Voyager XL. Thereby according to your logic, the Subtractor is a suitable replacement for a Minimoog Voyager XL IN THAT SPECIFIC CASE.

So yes, that's true. But you are totally snake charming the f*ck out of the comparison. You can claim that about ANYTHING and then use that to stack it up favorably to ANYTHING.

"Well this corolla has 4 wheels and it drives me to the gas station at the same speed as your Lambo. The corolla is therefore a suitable replacement for the Lambo."

Triple double dare you to go on Gearslutz using your real name and start a topic called "My Reason RV700 is a Replacement for your Hardware/Software 480s Because I Can Get the Same Results For The One Or Two Things I use It For" :mrgreen:

Not disagreeing with your statement, but C'MON man...you're reaching a bit to make the RV7k appear more shiny to your Reason audience.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

normen

15 Jan 2018

hurricane wrote:
15 Jan 2018
Oh god.

Subtractor can pretty much recreate a bare bones single oscillator sawtooth dinky bass that I can create on my Minimoog Voyager XL. Thereby according to your logic, the Subtractor is a suitable replacement for a Minimoog Voyager XL IN THAT SPECIFIC CASE.

So yes, that's true. But you are totally snake charming the f*ck out of the comparison. You can claim that about ANYTHING and then use that to stack it up favorably to ANYTHING.

"Well this corolla has 4 wheels and it drives me to the gas station at the same speed as your Lambo. The corolla is therefore a suitable replacement for the Lambo."

Triple double dare you to go on Gearslutz using your real name and start a topic called "My Reason RV700 is a Replacement for your Hardware/Software 480s Because I Can Get the Same Results For The One Or Two Things I use It For" :mrgreen:

Not disagreeing with your statement, but C'MON man...you're reaching a bit to make the RV7k appear more shiny to your Reason audience.
The Moog can't make a nice aliasing sound, the Lambo can't go to a parking lot with speed bumps. I think you might be reaching a bit to make some 40 year old hard- and software seem like a holy grail of sound or something. Its a great reverb but its not "better quality" than the RV700 per se.

normen

15 Jan 2018

Heres an interview with Michael Carnes, who worked on the PCM line of Lexicon, it gives some nice insight on the development of the Lexicon reverbs:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... ael-carnes

QVprod

15 Jan 2018

hurricane wrote:
15 Jan 2018
Oh god.

Echoing above, the argument makes complete sense actually. Replacement doesn't mean replica. It can simply mean comparable quality or attains similar results. Besides that, both the Lexicon and the RV7000 are digital reverbs with the Lexicon being decades older so the idea of them being equal isn't far fetched at all. As far as Gearslutz goes, a lot of those guys are older dudes stuck in their ways so While there are plenty of gems to pick from there, I take their hardware vs software debates with several grains of salt.

selig
RE Developer

15 Jan 2018

hurricane wrote:Oh god.

Triple double dare you to go on Gearslutz using your real name and start a topic called "My Reason RV700 is a Replacement for your Hardware/Software 480s Because I Can Get the Same Results For The One Or Two Things I use It For" [emoji2]

I’m not doing anything but saying what works for me. Sorry to get you all worked up over nothing - none of your comments related in any relevant way to the point I was making as far as I can tell.

I totally feel the way I feel. I have no agenda here - why on earth would I care what other folks think about the RV7000? It’s not MY product - why would I be hyping it for the Props? It’s not even for sale…

I always work this way - been doing this for long enough to have to replace gear several times over. First time I came up with this approach was when I got my first record deal and had $15k to spend on gear. I worked at a studio with a CMI, a DX1, a JP8, and a 480. I could not afforded to replace the gear I was used to using, so I got an Akai S900, TX816 rack, Matrix, and two PCM70s.

I’ve also had to replace several sequencers over the years, and take the same approach. No replacement is EVER the same - there are always some things gained and some things lost. So I do my best to find a suitable replacement and move on with my life.

No need to “dare” me to defend what I know is real. Not sure your point except I seem to have either offended you, you are calling me out as a liar, or you’re just trolling.

If you were really interested in understanding my point of view, you would have come at this in an entirely different way IMO!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information