Turning off HyperThreading, less cpu usage

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ahornberg

09 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
09 Jan 2018
There are also VSTs that perform better when multi-core is turned off in Reason preferences (e.g. 2CAudio Kaleidoscope). My approach is to choose that setting that works best (even it is against common sense) and go with it without overthinking.
The weird thing is: why do we need to do that kind thinking? Why can't a computer not decide what type of processes it starts doing?

Imo there's just one problem in all cases: audio glitches. A computer has a CPU so it should use it. It should use it 'till 100% because that's the power it has. The only thing it should never do is start glitching.

I find it strange that for many decisions WE need to do the thinking. This makes computers not so smart...
Yes, it's 2018 and we're still not having AI capable DAWs that let us focus more on making music and less on technical issues. :(

Marco Raaphorst

09 Jan 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Jan 2018

The weird thing is: why do we need to do that kind thinking? Why can't a computer not decide what type of processes it starts doing?

Imo there's just one problem in all cases: audio glitches. A computer has a CPU so it should use it. It should use it 'till 100% because that's the power it has. The only thing it should never do is start glitching.

I find it strange that for many decisions WE need to do the thinking. This makes computers not so smart...
Yes, it's 2018 and we're still not having AI capable DAWs that let us focus more on making music and less on technical issues. :(
Yes, very strange. I guess they are too much following each other. Like chip manufacturers :)

normen

09 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Jan 2018

Computers are generic devices, thats the issue. We (audio people) are using them for things they're not really made for, i.e. low latency processing.

I was often cursing about the fact that theres no professional computers. I mean think about it, for everything theres a professional version like race cars and excavators for cars but with computers we all have to use the same shit.. Even computer hardware in hospitals is put together using existing pieces of consumer hard- and software oO

As for the question "how to know when to enable it" - it's a checkbox, just try ;) As was said in this thread its highly dependent on the setup and project.

Marco Raaphorst

09 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Jan 2018

Computers are generic devices, thats the issue. We (audio people) are using them for things they're not really made for, i.e. low latency processing.

I was often cursing about the fact that theres no professional computers. I mean think about it, for everything theres a professional version like race cars and excavators for cars but with computers we all have to use the same shit.. Even computer hardware in hospitals is put together using existing pieces of consumer hard- and software oO

As for the question "how to know when to enable it" - it's a checkbox, just try ;) As was said in this thread its highly dependent on the setup and project.
I don't want check boxes I want smart computing.

normen

09 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Well maybe you just let the computer do the music as well, thats already a thing :) Otherwise, you have your amp and your guitar, what do you need a computer for? ;)

Marco Raaphorst

09 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Well maybe you just let the computer do the music as well, thats already a thing :) Otherwise, you have your amp and your guitar, what do you need a computer for? ;)
:D

Yes, I always come to the conclusion that the guitar is all I need. I am exploring sounds but always realise that everything I can do is hidden in the guitar.

• Information