Master FX order

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
lakinlakin

05 Jan 2018

Hi,
Anyone know whether the Master FX in the main mixer are processed in any kind of sequence?
e.g. if I have a reverb in slot 1, then an echo in slot 2, and distortion in slot 3 etc. Do the effects get processed in that order (in series) i.e. reverb, then echo then distortion. Or are they processed in parallel?

I am assuming they are processed in parallel, it's just the way some synths (Europa etc) allow you alter the flow of effects got me thinking.

Thanks

antic604

05 Jan 2018

lakinlakin wrote:
05 Jan 2018
Anyone know whether the Master FX in the main mixer are processed in any kind of sequence?e.g. if I have a reverb in slot 1, then an echo in slot 2, and distortion in slot 3 etc. Do the effects get processed in that order (in series) i.e. reverb, then echo then distortion. Or are they processed in parallel?
If you put the effects after / below Master Section, they'll be treated - and wired - as sends, so will be processed in parallel to each other, taking the signal from the channel strip post-fader - I believe this is what you refer to with "slots", i.e. the Sends and Returns.

If you put them as inserts to the Master Section, then they'll be processed sequentially (in series) and - by default - post Compressor and EQ and pre-fader, although you can change that routing at the top of the channel strip. This is where you'd typically put your mastering effects.

LudvigC
Reason Studios

05 Jan 2018

lakinlakin wrote:
05 Jan 2018
Hi,
Anyone know whether the Master FX in the main mixer are processed in any kind of sequence?
e.g. if I have a reverb in slot 1, then an echo in slot 2, and distortion in slot 3 etc. Do the effects get processed in that order (in series) i.e. reverb, then echo then distortion. Or are they processed in parallel?

I am assuming they are processed in parallel, it's just the way some synths (Europa etc) allow you alter the flow of effects got me thinking.

Thanks
Since there are no separated slots for Master Insert FX, I assume you're talking about Send FX here?

They are indeed parallel (or separate, might be a better word, since they don't necessarily process the same signal). The outputs of the different Send FX are mixed together with the master mix in the FX Return section.

/ LudvigC

lakinlakin

05 Jan 2018

Thanks that clears it up for me.

• Information