Newbie step sequencer questions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

31 Dec 2017

Hi all

Wondering if anyone can help with any of these questions please. I like to use step sequencers for creating drum patterns and bass patterns.

REDRUM SEQUENCER
I have been following a tutorial (cubase) where they build up the drum track by dropping the audio samples into the main sequencer. I wanted to replicate this with redrum sequencer. It started off fine (Kick on 1,5,9,13, snare on 5,13 and hat on 3,7,11,15). Then they placed a quick hat 5/64 in.
i dont think its possible to set the drums in 1 redrum to different step amounts so what is the best way to do this in redrum:-

1) Go back and change all kicks, snares and hats from 16 steps to 64. (Is there no way of copying the steps put in 1-16 and then copy in 17-32, you have to put them in manually for each 16 section?
2) Create a 2nd redrum and have that set to 64 steps and use this 2nd redrum for fills, etc?
3) Create a clip in the main sequencer to run in conjuction with the pattern?

MATRIX/THOR SEQUENCER
If i want to create a 16 step bass pattern and then have that same pattern play and auto transpose to the relevant midi key. So if i wanted to play the same 16 step pattern for C then F then G, I could:-

1) Create the pattern in matrix for C, then copy this to pattern 2 and change note to F, copy to pattern 3 and change note to G, then can switch between them

2) Use Thors sequencer as this can transpose: but what i cant figure out is how to use Thor as just a sequencer for say Europa, I cant work out the routing

3) Are there any more efficient approaches or REs?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Graeme

MannequinRaces

31 Dec 2017

For #2 of use 'Thor as a sequencer for Europa' all you have to do is take the note and gate cv outputs on the back of Thor and plug those into the Gate and CV inputs of Europa.

For your Redrum questions all of those options would work. As far as I know you can't copy steps 1-16 and paste them on 17-32. Another option is to use the notes to track function of Redrum and then edit or add in fills later that way.

If you have R10 (which I assume you do because you talk about Europa) you can use a Scales and Chords player to transpose the key that way (but not sure if it works with Thors sequencer (I don't think it does but I could be wrong).

Some REs offer different alternatives to workflow (some more efficient yes) but I HIGHLY recommend learning what you have rather than buying new REs. The REs will still be there after you've master Reason's native devices and will be on sale again in the future.

Hope that helps with a few things! :)

ravisoni

31 Dec 2017

Redrum is an old machine, and obviously lacks advanced functionality for us perc enthusiasts, but I digress. To answer your Redrum question, what you've listed are really the only ways without using other tools. I've used all 3 of those based on the nature of the percussion patterns.
There're a few REs: Korde Sequencer, Propulsion Sequencer, Grid64, System 9, TM-1 Trigger Multiplexer etc (and these afaik are the major ones).

I'll defer to MannequinRaces for your Thor question.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

graeme75

01 Jan 2018

That’s great. Many thanks for the replies

AttenuationHz

01 Jan 2018

I was using ReDrum up until last year then started using propulsion and never looked back!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

graeme75

01 Jan 2018

What’s the advantages of propulsion over redrum?

AttenuationHz

01 Jan 2018

graeme75 wrote:
01 Jan 2018
What’s the advantages of propulsion over redrum?
Main advantage and the only one that really matters is viewing all drum triggers at the same time. There is better control of shuffle with offsets for each channel and of course control over the speed at which each channel plays.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

MannequinRaces

01 Jan 2018

Plus ratchet, and different playback modes (forward, reverse, pendulum, random). Also the ability for random pattern generation with Propulsion. If you do lots of drum sequencing it is really nice.

ejanuska

02 Jan 2018

If you want to keep your sanity get Propulsion.
After I got it I wonder why I waited so long. Then I remembered, I was waiting for a sale.
(next sale is in the summer)

keysperson

03 Jan 2018

I am having trouble in Reason 10 figuring out how to transpose a clip. I don't know how to take a collection and move it and paste it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I had to add this to another post because no comment available settings are being showon to me.

AttenuationHz

03 Jan 2018

keysperson wrote:
03 Jan 2018
I am having trouble in Reason 10 figuring out how to transpose a clip. I don't know how to take a collection and move it and paste it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I had to add this to another post because no comment available settings are being showon to me.
CTRL and dragging will copy a selection. If it is audio you mean you can transpose by selecting the clip and adjusting the arrows up/down.
Tanspose.JPG
Tanspose.JPG (28.15 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

ejanuska

03 Jan 2018

keysperson wrote:
03 Jan 2018
If you take a audio clip and drop it in NN-XT that's the easiest way to transpose it using a rack extension.
Read the manual for more info on operating NN-XT.

Take a collection of what and move it where? Be more specific using specific terms like "sequencer" "rack" "name of rack extension".

graeme75

03 Jan 2018

Those that have Propulsion, how can I make 1 bar with the following elements?

Lane 1 - Kick on 1/4 notes
Lane 2 - Snare on every other 1/4
Lane 3 - Hat on 3/16 then every 1/4 after
Lane 4 - Percussion hit on 6/64 and 60/64

I can set up Lane 1, 2 and 3 ok, but really struggling with how to introduce lane 4 at the correct timings, and Propulsion only has 32 steps. I cant seem to alter the Div Rate to get it to do what i want

Cheers
Graeme

• Information