Why Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Zac

24 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
24 Dec 2017
I like when I press tab and the virtual cables jiggle.
Mmmmm.... jiggley.

Bouncey wouncey fun fun fun

splangie

24 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
24 Dec 2017
I like when I press tab and the virtual cables jiggle.
Yeah, and the serial number on the back of the Echo.

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2018

I was using Computer Muzys when Reason was introduced to me in 2002. Having had years of experience making music in Cubase VST with some hardware, I found Reason a natural fit.

What works for me in Reason:

1. I enjoy using it
Not to say I don't enjoy making music in Logic, but reason just fits naturally for me.

2. It comes with a range of highly capable effects, synths and samplers
What's great about the samplers is that they are stupidly simple to use. Whenever I watch people working with samples in VSTs it just looks a few steps awkward (and annoying). Ableton Live and FLStudio have it right IMO.

3. The workflow works for me
Even if I have to do workarounds, the workflow just feels right.

4. RE sync is frikkin' awesome!
Nobody can deny this is uber cool.

5. The Reason community is nice and upbeat too
When I look at other forums this community is a lot less depressed. Is it down to brilliant moderation, or is this the result of people being calmed by the intuitive workflow?

--

I started out with instruments, spent a few years using Cubase, learned how to record and arrange with hardware, used various other DAWs, and even tried an MPC/Triton LE combo for a year.

For another year I worked exclusively in Logic, but Reason just does it for me. It might be by a slim margin, because for everything in Reason I can find an equivalent that does roughly the same job. I just find myself happily able to plod along in Reason without any complaints.

Maybe I'm just in a stage where the DAW doesn't matter at all. I just feel that I have everything I need, especially now that I can load VSTs should I need them (I've actually not added any of my VSTs to Reason yet).

I am also curious to try out Ableton Live with Push.

wendylou

06 Mar 2018

i had a massive MIDI hardware studio in the 80s and 90s that was sold after job loss. I honestly thought i could never afford to make music like that again. Then in 2002, a friend told me about Reason. I could barely believe my eyes how hardware had become virtualized in software! I was hooked big time. Other DAWs aren't the same for me.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

NekujaK

06 Mar 2018

Back in the 80s I had a small MIDI setup and recorded to tape. In the 90s got rid of all the hardware and just focused on songwriting, guitar, and performing. In the early 2000s got the urge to record again and was blown away to discover the existence of soft synths - no more clumsy and expensive hardware needed! A friend who ran a ProTools studio suggested I look into Reason. I did. It looked awesome, so I took the plunge and fell in love instantly. But I still needed to record guitar and vocals, so I paired Reason with Cubase, and for the remainder of the decade, that's how I worked. When Reason added audio, I ditched Cubase. But I still needed to use EZdrummer, so Reaper was brought into the mix. When Reason added VSTs, I ditched Reaper and my ultimate dream had come true - to be able to produce all my music entirely in Reason!

Why Reason? It just makes sense. It gets out of the way and just lets me think about the music. And the Rack is pure genius. I tried using Cubase and Reaper just by themselves, and it was never very fun or interesting, and often it was just plain confusing and frustrating. Never felt that way with Reason.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

BRIGGS

06 Mar 2018

GeiddE wrote:
22 Dec 2017
Because Reason makes me happy !
^^^^thisx1000

If Reason was a hot chick, it would be the hottest one on the planet!!!

Supamodelz!!!
r11s

motuscott

06 Mar 2018

It's like that ex spy in Britain who was getting all retired an shit and then Putin's guys find him, sorry MOTU...
seriously we're living in one fucked up world...
Love your product Ernst, wouldn't think of changing.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Biolumin3sc3nt

07 Mar 2018

Gorgon wrote:
22 Dec 2017
Hey Hydlide, how you doing.
Well that's pretty much a poke in the eye statement Gorgon - I've learned a few tricks of the trade from Hydlide! Honestly, I think he's a funny Guy, and very informative! We all know that quote: "Opinions are like ********... everyone has one"

Faastwalker

07 Mar 2018

Best DAW I've ever used. Tried & used loads of others over the years starting with Cubase VST. Loved Reason when it came out but it was hardly a DAW back then. Always used it or came back to it pretty quick whilst I changed DAW's like the weather. I've used Logic & Pro Tools on Mac. On PC Cubase, Acid Pro, Tracktion extensively & less so FL Studio, Ableton Live. I find Reason far better than any of them.

Pralijah

07 Mar 2018

I like the mixer and the rack. Have a lot more to desire when it comes to sequencer and midi functionality. It really needs an upgrade at that field.
Make music shake again!

ckoehler

07 Mar 2018

Why Reason?

After a long time and many big tries with DAWs like Ableton, Reaper, Bitwig, Renoise and Cubase I'm switched back to Reason. I loved to get rid of all the different VSTs with there different licenses philosophies. What a waste of time and money. The last time I used Reason was in the year 2005. Now I bought Reason10 and could work with my old stuff without any adjustments...that was an awesome experience. I love to by home in Reason, where everything I need is in the box in one product. It feels like a complete musicstudio again.

Now I will stay with Reason on my side and will never use any VSTs again.

Thanks Propellerhead for being alive such a long time :reason: :re: :thumbs_up:
:reason: Reason 10 @ Windows 10

SoulState

07 Mar 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
06 Mar 2018

Supamodelz!!!
Reason is a bit more than a "hot chick" and so are Women!
:reason:

jappe

07 Mar 2018

Because I like it. It's like a really good old song, still going strong.
I'm not even comparing it with the new alternatives. Biased and happy, I make music with it.

BRIGGS

07 Mar 2018

SoulState wrote:
07 Mar 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
06 Mar 2018

Supamodelz!!!
Reason is a bit more than a "hot chick" and so are Women!
More than a hot chick?

Nah, thanks anyway, I'm not into girls with too much baggage.

I like my low maintenance chickies.
r11s

fieldframe
RE Developer

07 Mar 2018

I got into Reason for its comprehensive set of starting tools. I stayed for the usability and simplicity: Nearly every time I've tried another DAW, I haven't liked the buffet of toolbars and menus that they pack in everywhere. It's not so much about floating windows versus the rack (Reason has floating windows too, after all), but about how things are organized, how you switch between modes, and so on.

It's like, sure, I can make a track in Studio One. It just feels like working on a big, messy desk, with lots of tools I don't need sitting out and getting in the way. With Reason, nothing's ever in the way. Sure, it's missing some features that I hope to see added in the future, but I'd rather have too few features in a neat, easy-to-navigate package than every feature I want but having to slog through a heavyweight UI.

SoulState

07 Mar 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
07 Mar 2018

Ahh you mean - WOMEN with low self-esteem, that allow you to refer to them as chicks. Clever boy...you and your president have similar views.

SoulState

07 Mar 2018

Your analogies and sexiest rhetoric have got f*ckall to do with Reason (or this post)...so I'll leave it there.

BRIGGS

07 Mar 2018

SoulState wrote:
07 Mar 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
07 Mar 2018

Ahh you mean - WOMEN with low self-esteem, that allow you to refer to them as chicks. Clever boy...you and your president have similar views.
I find you prejudiced, and offensive. Disgusting.
r11s

motuscott

07 Mar 2018

SoulState wrote:
07 Mar 2018
Your analogies and sexiest rhetoric have got f*ckall to do with Reason (or this post)...so I'll leave it there.
Reasontalk, calling bullshit on bullshit.
Lovin' it
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

SoulState

07 Mar 2018

motuscott wrote:
07 Mar 2018
SoulState wrote:
07 Mar 2018
Reasontalk, calling bullshit on bullshit.
Lovin' it
Damned right! Can't let sexist bull go unchecked my daughters would never forgive me! ;)

...now let's get back to chatting about :reason: Reason.

selig
RE Developer

07 Mar 2018

BRIGGS AND SOULSTATE - not only are you off topic (and off color), but… never mind, both of you take it to PM if you really feel the need to discuss this subject.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

07 Mar 2018

I tend to gravitate towards daws that are somewhat "sandboxed"
Like Reason & Live that focus on their own ecosystem and favors those over the thirdparty addon crap.
Not to mention those dirt cheap permanent things they call rack extensions
Last edited by Oquasec on 07 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

SoulState

07 Mar 2018

selig wrote:
07 Mar 2018
BRIGGS AND SOULSTATE - not only are you off topic (and off color), but… never mind, both of you take it to PM if you really feel the need to discuss this subject.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
That's your opinion.

I respect your knowledge regarding all-things Reason. But don't begin to tell me I'm "off colour" for talking someone down for sexist comments and objectifying women.

If you did your job I wouldn't have to. Read your own rules.

Rule No. 4
No sexist posts.
Last edited by SoulState on 07 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2018

Reason is the tits

BRIGGS

07 Mar 2018

aeox wrote:
07 Mar 2018
Reason is the tits
Quick... somebody call Dr. Octorex, cause I think I'm dying of laughter!!! :lol:
r11s

• Information