Winter Competition: Next step

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Kenni
Site Admin

19 Dec 2017

Hi ReasonTalkers!

The submission form is now closed. Thank you for participating! We landed on a whopping 59 entries!

I'll try to outline what's going to happen for the time to come and also announce that we'll have a lottery as well for this competition. We have 4 additional prizes that we will draw at random between every single entry that didn't make it to the top 3 when we have the results.

Lottery prizes
  • Blamsoft: Distortion Trifecta Bundle (one RE/individual)
  • Kuassa Efektor Modulation Bundle (one RE/individual)
  • Kuassa Efektor Distortion Bundle (one RE/individual)
  • Mathieu Demange RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
The voting process

First and foremost, I want to ask all of you to be patient. Not only is it "that time of year", but 59 entries is a lot, and we want to take our time with this. We're really happy about the interest, that's for sure!

Now, the voting process will be split in two:

Step 1

We are 17 judges all in all and each and every one of us will now go through all 59 entries. Although we didn't have a huge set of requirements for this competition, we'll go through the entries with the requirements we did have in mind. During this iteration, we will narrow the field down from 59 entries to a yet-to-be-announced number of entries that makes it to the final stage. At this point, we will post all the entries that makes it to the final stage to the public.

NB: Please, do not change privacy settings on your entries on SoundCloud! It will change the link and render what we've registered about your entry invalid!

Step 2

When the entries that makes it to the final stage are public, the judges will focus on these entries only. At the same time, we will announce the date for the final votes. The final voting process will be a live streamed event, carried out in a EuroVision-esk fashion!

For the live stream voting, we will have a scoreboard with all the entries. Each and every judge will then go through their personal top 10 and score them accordingly following this scoring card:

#1: 12 points
#2: 10 points
#3: 8 points
#4: 7 points
#5: 6 points
#6: 5 points
#7: 4 points
#8: 3 points
#9: 2 points
#10: 1 point

1st judge score from 1 point and upwards, until all 10 scores have been assigned. Then the next judge do the same, rinse, repeat. The scoreboard will be updated live on the stream to add to the excitement! At least we're really looking forward to this as it is kind of a "first" for these kind of competitions in our community. We want to get away from the "Here are the winners" thread and do something transparent instead. We hope you'll embrace this decision!

To all the participants, good luck!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Zac

19 Dec 2017

That's a bumper haul, congrats! I'm not surprised though, great compo.

Bes
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2017

wow this all sounds great. super excited for the live stream.
- Certified Reason expert

strangers
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2017

This has been a fun song competition to take part of. The voting process will keep plenty of interest even while waiting for results. Looking forward to hearing everyone's work along with the live stream to determine the top spots.

Re8et
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2017

Ooooops... I guess I made that change on the private settings day one after providing the link....
Good luck everyone! :puf_bigsmile:

demt

20 Dec 2017

isle send my boys round to help with the judging there very good at that sort of thing not a single complaint
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Kenni
Site Admin

20 Dec 2017

Re8et wrote:
20 Dec 2017
Ooooops... I guess I made that change on the private settings day one after providing the link....
Good luck everyone! :puf_bigsmile:
Please check your inbox. :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Zac

20 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
19 Dec 2017
Hi ReasonTalkers!

The submission form is now closed. Thank you for participating! We landed on a whopping 59 entries!

I'll try to outline what's going to happen for the time to come and also announce that we'll have a lottery as well for this competition. We have 4 additional prizes that we will draw at random between every single entry that didn't make it to the top 3 when we have the results.

Lottery prizes
  • Blamsoft: Distortion Trifecta Bundle (one RE/individual)
  • Kuassa Efektor Modulation Bundle (one RE/individual)
  • Kuassa Efektor Distortion Bundle (one RE/individual)
  • Mathieu Demange RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
The voting process

First and foremost, I want to ask all of you to be patient. Not only is it "that time of year", but 59 entries is a lot, and we want to take our time with this. We're really happy about the interest, that's for sure!

Now, the voting process will be split in two:

Step 1

We are 17 judges all in all and each and every one of us will now go through all 59 entries. Although we didn't have a huge set of requirements for this competition, we'll go through the entries with the requirements we did have in mind. During this iteration, we will narrow the field down from 59 entries to a yet-to-be-announced number of entries that makes it to the final stage. At this point, we will post all the entries that makes it to the final stage to the public.

NB: Please, do not change privacy settings on your entries on SoundCloud! It will change the link and render what we've registered about your entry invalid!

Step 2

When the entries that makes it to the final stage are public, the judges will focus on these entries only. At the same time, we will announce the date for the final votes. The final voting process will be a live streamed event, carried out in a EuroVision-esk fashion!

For the live stream voting, we will have a scoreboard with all the entries. Each and every judge will then go through their personal top 10 and score them accordingly following this scoring card:

1st judge score from 1 point and upwards, until all 10 scores have been assigned. Then the next judge do the same, rinse, repeat. The scoreboard will be updated live on the stream to add to the excitement! At least we're really looking forward to this as it is kind of a "first" for these kind of competitions in our community. We want to get away from the "Here are the winners" thread and do something transparent instead. We hope you'll embrace this decision!

To all the participants, good luck!
I've just re-read this. Does this mean that the entries that don't make it to the second phase won't be discoverable and therefore listenable to us all?

I can understand if they are held back untill the winner is announced to save arguments. But i want to hear all 59 entries not for ranking but because they should be heard whatever the ranking or percieved quality. A lot of effort was obviously put into this one.

Seckin

20 Dec 2017

This is just great. My excitement has just doubled now and I can't wait to witness the voting live stream.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

WongoTheSane

20 Dec 2017

Zac wrote:
20 Dec 2017
I've just re-read this. Does this mean that the entries that don't make it to the second phase won't be discoverable and therefore listenable to us all?

I can understand if they are held back untill the winner is announced to save arguments. But i want to hear all 59 entries not for ranking but because they should be heard whatever the ranking or percieved quality. A lot of effort was obviously put into this one.
They will be, we're just asking contestants to not make them public just yet to avoid any external influences until the votes are closed. Chances are we'll make a full playlist here, either shortly before or shortly after the announcement, for convenience. It would be a shame not to share these with all of you! :)

Zac

20 Dec 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
20 Dec 2017
Zac wrote:
20 Dec 2017

They will be, we're just asking contestants to not make them public just yet to avoid any external influences until the votes are closed. Chances are we'll make a full playlist here, either shortly before or shortly after the announcement, for convenience. It would be a shame not to share these with all of you! :)
Indeedy. Glad to hear it and the very exciting finalé. Well done the 59.

Seckin

20 Dec 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
20 Dec 2017
Zac wrote:
20 Dec 2017

Is it OK if I share my song with friends on an entirely seperate platform through which there'll be no external influence on the original Soundcloud file? Like send them an MP3 or upload on youtube (I have only 23 followers lol) with no indication of the contest? I'm guessing this won't pose any problems but I thought I'd ask just in case.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

Ahornberg

20 Dec 2017

great

Kenni
Site Admin

20 Dec 2017

Seckin wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:
20 Dec 2017
Is it OK if I share my song with friends on an entirely seperate platform through which there'll be no external influence on the original Soundcloud file? Like send them an MP3 or upload on youtube (I have only 23 followers lol) with no indication of the contest? I'm guessing this won't pose any problems but I thought I'd ask just in case.
We don't own your music! :)

Secrecy weren't a direct requirement, but it will make this voting session work better. The most important part was not sharing them while the submission was open, so that the judges aren't influenced by public opinion up front.

You can share with your friends as freely as you want to!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

#JAMAL4EVER

20 Dec 2017

I am so excited for what's next. This contest was a challenge and I truly enjoyed it! Win or lose I'm grateful for the opportunity! Good luck to everyone!

EpiGenetik

22 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
19 Dec 2017
Step 2

1st judge score from 1 point and upwards, until all 10 scores have been assigned. Then the next judge do the same, rinse, repeat. The scoreboard will be updated live on the stream to add to the excitement!
Hahaha, this could be agonizing :) Any idea of roughly what date the finals will occur? Not looking for anything definite, just a before New Year/January/February kinda thing.

Many thanks,
B

• Information