New stock devices using repatch extensions and icons.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

20 Jan 2018

I think you guys should point Props to this thread, and in particular this pre-8.0 browser feature and ask for it to be re-introduced:

help_computer.JPG
help_computer.JPG (243.91 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

20 Jan 2018

What I think should have been done years ago, and would address this problem as well, is if they finally added a proper “Tags” system for patches. Additionally, if you could automatically save the device tag (#europa, for example) with each new patch, it would be easy to filter by tag (device) and see only patches for a particular device. You could also choose to browse Combinators that used these devices if the same rule applied to saving Combinators (auto device tagging for all devices in the combinator). It would also allow generating a file showing all devices used for a song file, handy for collaborating.

Not to mention all the other HUGE benefits of tag based patch browsing that would allow you to browse across all ReFills to see ALL patches in your entire file system that had a “bass” tag (rather than searching each ReFill for a file with the letters “B-a-s-s” in the name, the highly limited and only way to search patches at present).

And to complete the picture, I agree each patch should use it’s unique device icon if that’s possible to add easily.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

miscend

20 Jan 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
19 Jan 2018
Name that file :cool:

reason-extensions.jpg

I'm sure you'll agree it's so much nicer when devices have their own icon and extension, they even go to the trouble of saying exactly what the device is in the status bar. Now that's what I call attention to detail. )
Well there are literally hundreds of rack extensions and if they all each had their own file extension. You can imagine that there would likely be a high possibility of file extension clashes with other software programs.

miscend

20 Jan 2018

househoppin09 wrote:
19 Jan 2018
Actually, it's even worse than I thought--put a bunch of .repatch files in a folder and there's STILL no way to restrict Reason's browser to show only the ones for the particular RE that has browse focus! Ugh, what a mess. Would love to know how you got the behavior you're describing, EnochLight.
That’s a genuine feature request. Reason used to be able to do that.

What you can do is sort repatch files by device using the tool bar.

EnochLight

20 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
20 Jan 2018
What I think should have been done years ago, and would address this problem as well, is if they finally added a proper “Tags” system for patches. Additionally, if you could automatically save the device tag (#europa, for example) with each new patch, it would be easy to filter by tag (device) and see only patches for a particular device. You could also choose to browse Combinators that used these devices if the same rule applied to saving Combinators (auto device tagging for all devices in the combinator). It would also allow generating a file showing all devices used for a song file, handy for collaborating.

Not to mention all the other HUGE benefits of tag based patch browsing that would allow you to browse across all ReFills to see ALL patches in your entire file system that had a “bass” tag (rather than searching each ReFill for a file with the letters “B-a-s-s” in the name, the highly limited and only way to search patches at present).

And to complete the picture, I agree each patch should use it’s unique device icon if that’s possible to add easily.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
+10000 for tags!!!!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Namyo85

21 Jan 2018

miscend wrote:
20 Jan 2018

Well there are literally hundreds of rack extensions and if they all each had their own file extension. You can imagine that there would likely be a high possibility of file extension clashes with other software programs.
Please read the previous posts. Following written for clarity and for new viewers of this discussion:
I'm requesting that Reasons stock devices have their own file extensions. E.g. Europa, Grain, Klang, Synchronous etc... In the same way that Thor, Subtractor, The Echo, Alligator etc... have them. I don't expect third party rack extensions to have their own icon and extension.

miscend

21 Jan 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
21 Jan 2018
miscend wrote:
20 Jan 2018

Please read the previous posts. Following written for clarity and for new viewers of this discussion:
I'm requesting that Reasons stock devices have their own file extensions. E.g. Europa, Grain, Klang, Synchronous etc... In the same way that Thor, Subtractor, The Echo, Alligator etc... have them. I don't expect third party rack extensions to have their own icon and extension.
Europa and Grain are built using the Rack Extension SDK. Like the Softube Amps they are not any different to the other REs in the shop like Parsec or PX7. Think of them as bundled REs.

Namyo85

22 Jan 2018

Didin't know that. I understand what you're saying, however, the difference to ones in the shop is they are core parts of Reason. Perhaps how they got to be parts of the core program makes a difference though, you could have a point. Does the fact they were built using the SDK mean it's impossible for them to have icons and extensions? I don't know but I doubt it... what about the Players? They have a .repatch extension, does anyone know if they were built using the RE SDK?

EnochLight

22 Jan 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
22 Jan 2018
Does the fact they were built using the SDK mean it's impossible for them to have icons and extensions? I don't know but I doubt it...
Correct. It's impossible for this very reason. Props use the exact same RE SDK as 3rd party RE devs use.

Namyo85 wrote:
22 Jan 2018
what about the Players? They have a .repatch extension, does anyone know if they were built using the RE SDK?
Players are an entirely new device category, but they do share some tech with RE's, though, which is likely why the patch extension is the same.

Namyo85

23 Jan 2018

I don't believe it's impossible, not at all. How difficult is it to make a small thumbnail pic, type a few letters and a dot. ;) If scientists can send rockets to the moon I'm sure software programmers can make a small thumbnail pic, type a few letters and a dot. :roll:

EnochLight

23 Jan 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
23 Jan 2018
I don't believe it's impossible, not at all. How difficult is it to make a small thumbnail pic, type a few letters and a dot. ;) If scientists can send rockets to the moon I'm sure software programmers can make a small thumbnail pic, type a few letters and a dot. :roll:
Well, not to be pedantic - but of course it's not impossible - no more than for the reasons you listed above. :lol: But it's highly improbable to happen, since that's not how RE's have been handled. Since release. For almost 6 years.

Sorry! :)

miscend

23 Jan 2018

Yeah it’s more improbable than impossible. There’s a certain logic to how Prop’s do things, it’s not something I would imagine they would change.

Namyo85

23 Jan 2018

Well, as Jeremy Clarkson would say... 'and on that bombshell, it's the end of the show, goodnight'. Yep, I gave it my best shot but I think it's time to concede. :re: :(

• Information