Rob Papen's Quad doesn't work with my CPU

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
househoppin09

18 Dec 2017

Agreed on the SSD side-discussion. My understanding has been that, as a rough rule of thumb, "computer too slow" indicates insufficient CPU resources, whereas the "disk overload" light on the transport indicates insufficient RAM and/or insufficiently fast storage.

You definitely need a better CPU, but in the meantime, you can try turning off Reason's hyperthreading feature as has already been suggested upthread. That should help at least somewhat.

DoctoralHermit

18 Dec 2017

Thank you all for the support! It might be hard to imagine, but I'm super stoked on how my computer has been performing in Reason, because this is the nicest computer I've ever owned. Although based on this thread, if I ever drop more serious money on a computer, it sounds like I'll be going Intel

Turning off hyperthreading in Reason is an interesting idea... It seems counterintuitive that it would speed things up. What's the drawback?

househoppin09

18 Dec 2017

On CPUs that support hyperthreading, having it enabled in Reason generally has the effect of giving increased parallel capacity (more mix channels at once before you hit your DSP limit), at the expense of some per-channel capacity (fewer devices on a single mix channel before you hit your DSP limit). My informal tests seem to show that the increase in parallel capacity is anywhere from +50% to double, whereas the decrease in per-channel capacity is anywhere from 10% to 25%, although that could be specific to my setup.

However, the whole thing is moot in your case, because your CPU doesn't support hyperthreading to begin with! As such, you may or may not notice any difference one way or the other when you disable it, but there's clearly nothing to be gained by your having it on, so disabling it can only help. You probably shouldn't expect to make any huge gains when you disable it, possibly none at all, but with your CPU I'd say you need all the help you can get! ;)

• Information