VST plugin folder woes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
wils

14 Dec 2017

Hi folks. Okay I messed up. I was adding a new location for VST plugins, and in error I missed out the last couple of folders, so NOW whenever I load up Reason, it scans my entire "Programs" folder for VSTs. I booted Reason 10 up last night at about 8pm, and the scan's still going....

So - is there a way I can get inside Reason 10 to change the VST folder without opening it up? i.e. the VST locations must be in a file somewhere, does anyone know where this is and if it's possible to change it? I'm guessing no, but I wanted to check first just in case... Otherwise I either wait and wait and wait, and hope the scan completes before my PC decides to close Reason for being unresponsive, or I uninstall it and start again.

FlowerSoldier

14 Dec 2017

In the Preferences/Advanced tab you will find your VST folder settings. You can add or delete them to taste. I have 2 different VST locations set so I know it works. Hope that helps.

fotizimo

14 Dec 2017

FlowerSoldier wrote:
14 Dec 2017
In the Preferences/Advanced tab you will find your VST folder settings. You can add or delete them to taste. I have 2 different VST locations set so I know it works. Hope that helps.
I think the questions is to see if you can change the setting without opening up the program. What you are writing requires opening the program to change, but which OP cannot do as Reason is scanning a major section of his computer looking for VSTs.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

RandyEspoda

14 Dec 2017

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason

the file is : Reason Plugin Folders.prf

Open with notepad, I believe you can change the data in the file and it will reflect in Reason ;)

RandyEspoda

14 Dec 2017

Just mind to leave all spaces and special symbols as they are, just change the pathnames.
And remember to backup the file to a safe location first. IF it doesn't work, you can still revert back.

wils

14 Dec 2017

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated!

To add to the fun, I've just discovered that my C drive now has 0 bytes free! Looking into it a bit further, I've found the Reason log folder is almost 30 gb! In just a couple of days. So I think the epic VST scan is causing epic logs, which have basically destroyed my available memory, which may or may not be compounding the VST scan in a vicious circle kinda way.

Just deleting all the logs now to see if that helps... I'll do that before attempting manual changes to config folders. Ah the fun!

wils

14 Dec 2017

Deleting the log files took too long, so I rebooted instead after copying and then basically deleting the contents of the .prf file.

Opened up Reason somewhat apprehensively, but it works a dream. I'll now take a little more care with my VST folders :P

Thanks once again for the replies, hugely appreciated!

RandyEspoda

15 Dec 2017

wils wrote:
14 Dec 2017
Deleting the log files took too long, so I rebooted instead after copying and then basically deleting the contents of the .prf file.

Opened up Reason somewhat apprehensively, but it works a dream. I'll now take a little more care with my VST folders :P

Thanks once again for the replies, hugely appreciated!
:thumbs_up:

• Information