Reason 10 and Roland A800 Pro

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
luckytzim

14 Dec 2017

Hello everyone, Im totally new to Reason and I just discovered this lovely forum.

Does anyone here owns Roland A800 Pro? If so, does it work well in R10? Do I have to correlate manually each knob of the keyboard to make it function in R10?

Thanks

luckytzim

24 Dec 2017

Any ideas?

Catblack

24 Dec 2017

luckytzim wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Any ideas?
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... les-reason is still your best bet.

That article talks about modifying an M-Audio Oxygen 8, but I think the M-audio Axiom series has the same controls as yours. You might be able to edit your Roland's midi output in the Roland editor to match what the Remote codec for a device with the same controls as yours expects. You wouldn't be able to auto detect, but it'd save you a lot of pain.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

luckytzim

24 Dec 2017

I dont get it..Why isnt there an auto detect option from Reason? The Roland model is more than 4-5 years old and still in production. Why cant Reason add a update support for this midi keyboard and why should I spend days of setting it manual? Are you sure there is no other way to make this keyboard work in Reason? Thanks

Catblack

24 Dec 2017

luckytzim wrote:
24 Dec 2017
I dont get it..Why isnt there an auto detect option from Reason? The Roland model is more than 4-5 years old and still in production. Why cant Reason add a update support for this midi keyboard and why should I spend days of setting it manual? Are you sure there is no other way to make this keyboard work in Reason? Thanks
I took a look at Roland's site for your keyboard and saw no support for Reason. Reason doesn't support any Roland devices. The auto-detect feature in Reason depends on it auto-detecting a supported device (or one that a 3rd party has written a codec for.)

But as I say, the midi output from your keyboard is probably configurable, so you could take a look through and find another manufacturer's keyboard that has the same number of pads, dials and faders and it's not too hard to see what you could change in your device's outputs to (via the Roland editor for your keyboard, your manual mentions it, I think,) and have it working, just using the other keyboard's codec. Or you could go the route suggested by the soundonsound article and duplicate that other codec and rename what you need (and edit the input strings that the codec uses) to match your keyboard.

But as someone with 6 or 8 midi devices sitting here that aren't officially supported in Reason, I can tell you that whining and wishing isn't going to ever make it work. In fact given that Roland sent it's horrible cease and desist to Propellerhead over their ReBirth software last year, I'm pretty sure you are never going to get those two companies to work together to solve your problem. It's not that hard of a fix. Good luck.

Damn.

Data_Shrine

24 Dec 2017

Catblack wrote:
24 Dec 2017
luckytzim wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Reason doesn't support any Roland devices.
I used a Roland Edirol MIDI controller for years and it worked fine.

Catblack

25 Dec 2017

Data_Shrine wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Catblack wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Reason doesn't support any Roland devices.
I used a Roland Edirol MIDI controller for years and it worked fine.
I meant that Reason doesn't ship with any Roland remote codecs. I didn't know about the Edirol, just saw there was no Roland folder in there.

Damn.

luckytzim

25 Dec 2017

Thank you very much, my Roland is on the way, should arrive in a month. So I will post about it when i receive it.
Thank you Catblack and Datashrine ,
happy holidays!

Btw, which midi keyboard works fine in Reason and needs no extra settings at all?

Data_Shrine

25 Dec 2017

luckytzim wrote:
25 Dec 2017
Thank you very much, my Roland is on the way, should arrive in a month. So I will post about it when i receive it.
Thank you Catblack and Datashrine ,
happy holidays!

Btw, which midi keyboard works fine in Reason and needs no extra settings at all?
Check out theses :
http://www.nektartech.com/reason-integr ... pdate.html

dancing fool

26 Dec 2017

Just a little thing but it is a calkwalk a 800 pro made by roland.
i do have a a 300 pro
and is hast remote maps in reason
look in the remote map folder and you find a calkwalk folder.
in the manual there is somewhere an explenation on how to active in all. It has something to do with dynamic mapping.

GRB

14 Sep 2020

dancing fool wrote:
26 Dec 2017
i do have a a 300 pro
in the manual there is somewhere an explenation on how to active in all. It has something to do with dynamic mapping.
Did you finally get it working with Reason? All knobs and sliders?
There is a Roland A 800 PRO in offer here, just thinking about it.
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

dancing fool

17 Sep 2020

GRB wrote:
14 Sep 2020
dancing fool wrote:
26 Dec 2017
i do have a a 300 pro
Did you finally get it working with Reason? All knobs and sliders?
There is a Roland A 800 PRO in offer here, just thinking about it.
I do use the pro 300 for years with reason. All is working fine. Knobs, sliders, buttons keyboard

• Information