Redrum Pattern Lane with Redrum in Combinator

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Manic_Mayhem

12 Dec 2017

I'm building a combinator to sorta emulate Native Instruments DrumLab, ... in my case I am specifically interested in being able to use a knob to either dial in the mix between two drum kits or switch between kits in the middle of a running beat (so the kit and or effects (other knobs), can add accent to the beat).

I have most of it figured out, but I have been unable to add a pattern lane to the redrum that controls the beat sequence shared between kits.

I "accidentally" created a pattern lane by beginning the build with a Redrum kit, then creating a pattern lane, then right clicking and selecting combine and finally creating the remainder of the combinator -- in this case, the original pattern lane remained and remained connected to the original Redrum, even though it had been moved to the combinator, resulting in two tracks in my sequencer. This isn't "horrible", but it isn't very tidy.

Ultimately, I plan to build and save one nice combinator which is a work in progress, to handle my desire to sequence two kits and switch between or blend the two at will. I suppose I could build it out with a Redrum at the bottom of the rack to receive and distribute gate input and then insert the saved combinator, a new Redrum (wiring it into the combinator), and then tweaking as needed from there. That isn't too difficult, but I find the idea interesting and may wish to share it somehow someday, so minimum operational complexity would be desirable.

If anyone knows a good way to add a pattern lane to a Redrum that resides inside of a Combinator, that would be great. Otherwise I'll continue as planned.

Thanks!!!

househoppin09

12 Dec 2017

I'm a bit confused--it sounds like, as you described it, you've already got the pattern lane you want. Are you saying you want the Redrum's pattern lane in the Combinator's sequencer track, so that you can have no sequencer track at all for the Redrum, and then just have one sequencer track total instead of two?

Manic_Mayhem

12 Dec 2017

I'm creating a combinator that has a Redrum inside of it and saving it as a patch. It would be nice to be able to simply select the patch and use it as any Redrum Instrument (as it is driven essentially by Redrum, although it has a ton of other moving parts). It looks like I will probably just have to save the patch and wire in an external Redrum which can have a pattern lane to drive it. Not a huge problem, just an extra step that would be nice to avoid if possible.

househoppin09

12 Dec 2017

Ah, I see. Yeah, unless I'm overlooking something (which is always likely), I think you've already pretty much answered your own question.

RandyEspoda

13 Dec 2017

You CAN recreate the pattern on the combinator note lane if you want, then you can save it within the combinator itself, but it requires a bit of extra work.

ejanuska

13 Dec 2017

Manic_Mayhem wrote:
12 Dec 2017
I'm creating a combinator that has a Redrum inside of it and saving it as a patch. It would be nice to be able to simply select the patch and use it as any Redrum Instrument (as it is driven essentially by Redrum, although it has a ton of other moving parts). It looks like I will probably just have to save the patch and wire in an external Redrum which can have a pattern lane to drive it. Not a huge problem, just an extra step that would be nice to avoid if possible.
Just save the combinator patch with the ReDrum in it. If you want to use the combinator with a different ReDrum just load the new ReDrum patch from the one saved in the combinator.

As far as pattern lanes go, all you have to do is click on upper left of the redrum, even if its in a combinator, so that triangular arrow thing is pointing at the redrum.

Example of selection using a RV7000:
ph.png
ph.png (25.85 KiB) Viewed 984 times
A sequencer lane for the device will be created if one doesn't exist. In the sequencer lane for the ReDrum create a new pattern lane. Pattern lanes are not created by default.

There is no reason to hook up an external redrum for what you are doing.

Flako

21 Sep 2018

I needed the same information. It works.
Clicking on the redrum inside of the combinator creates a redrum track and enables a pattern lane.
Thank you Ejanuska!

• Information