I wish we heard more from Props here

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RoryM0

11 Dec 2017

I know that Props keep tight-lipped about the upcoming developments of Reason and their other products (as do many companies) and there are probably totally legitimate reasons for doing that - but I wish they were more transparent about what's coming...! TEASE US PROPS WE LOVE IT.

What's being worked on? Give us a tightly-cropped jpeg of something on the horizon. Juices will flow and wallets will open!

While I'm here I'd also like to say hello to everyone that posts on this forum, Props staff included, and give Reason a big up. Big up Reason!

Rory :)

fotizimo

11 Dec 2017

I find the Props team is pretty chatty on Instagram these days, although it isn't anything future related. They do seem to post around here during betas and new releases, but stick to topic-specific threads.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

QVprod

11 Dec 2017

That's just how Propellerhead works. Even when they had their own forum we didn't know about developments until they were developed.

Zac

11 Dec 2017

I wanna know what bitcoin's gonna do. I have a major share of thought invested. My losses are reasonable that way.

scratchnsnifff

11 Dec 2017

HEllo props and peeps!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ejanuska

13 Dec 2017

They troll around here and there. Don't expect any mindblowing revelations from them.
I would guess there are a million legal reasons why they steer clear.

selig
RE Developer

13 Dec 2017

ejanuska wrote:They troll around here and there. Don't expect any mindblowing revelations from them.
I would guess there are a million legal reasons why they steer clear.
Indeed - that and the fact that whatever they say gets twisted and used against them by someone eventually. Take the comment “We won’t add audio to Reason until we can do it right” which gets turned into “You said you would never add audio, and now you added it - so we can’t trust anything you say…”.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

ejanuska

13 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
13 Dec 2017

Indeed - that and the fact that whatever they say gets twisted and used against them by someone eventually. Take the comment “We won’t add audio to Reason until we can do it right” which gets turned into “You said you would never add audio, and now you added it - so we can’t trust anything you say…”.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
I'm guessing that is the main reason for sinking the PUF.

chaosroyale

13 Dec 2017

Props don't have any duty to make comments outside of their official channels and the potential for misunderstandings is too great.

They are always very polite and nice when they occasionally make direct comments but I'd actually be worried if they put too much effort into communicating with (read- marketing to) individual forum members rather than getting on with developing and coding.

Psuper

13 Dec 2017

Propellerhead has always been particularly non-forthcoming about their thoughts and direction, and place little emphasis on what the community demands - unless it's 6 years after {insert feature request here} has been stated by the overwhelming majority (aka Native Audio in, VST support). An occasional yet consistent "I hear you" goes a long way and commits nothing.

When they shut down their official forums, didn't even archive the vast knowledge lost to us -- that act let us know exactly what Propellerhead thinks about their community - they do virtually nothing with our input and suggestions.

Not my style, nor do I feel their approach has ever helped Propellerhead. With that sort of style, you end up with "The Biggest Upgrade Ever" being 3 crippled existing 3rd party re-packs and a couple synths that RE devs couldda done.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Oquasec

13 Dec 2017

Tbh, I feel like Reason was built in a way that was completely different from, and will never be comparable to a "Traditional" daw ever and anybody looking for something like that can hit the rewire hay, honestly rewire will get you the results you need outside of just migrating tot a new daw altogether.

Props understandably has to maintain this neat little system they have going on right now and for what it does it actually works fine.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

normen

13 Dec 2017

Heres a tightly-cropped jpeg of one of the developers screens :o

;)

scratchnsnifff

13 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Heres a tightly-cropped jpeg of one of the developers screens :o

;)
Must be a combinator 2 :p
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Dante

13 Dec 2017

Reason speaks for itself

teddymcw

13 Dec 2017

If I was a dev there I wouldn't want anyone talking about my upcoming release until it was squarely near Beta at least. Teasing can get you in so much trouble if you can't really deliver. We've had devs tease on here only to get swept up by the wind a la Mary Poppins. A team of devs would feel all sorts of pressure from managers and clients and other stuff.

Someone like Panda probly isn't teasing until he's confident he's got the product down pact, I'm guessing. So imho this is a great case of not to count your chickens until they hatch. Don't count your software until it doesn't glitch or however you like.

On that note, damn it's dope when we get teased and delivery is made. Love the action potential of anticipation!!! Seriously, hahah

dioxide

13 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Take the comment “We won’t add audio to Reason until we can do it right"
Erm, did they ever actually say that? My recollection is that they really had absolutely zero interest in adding audio input into Reason, seeing Reason as a synth rack that was output only - despite already having a vocoder!

Not to dredge up the past as it isn't relevant to where we are now, but you know, historical accuracy and all that. From what I recall PH didn't at all want to add audio input or audio tracks for many years, which resulted in them losing a lot of users. I love Reason as a platform for making music, but this decision was a monumental fuck up from a business perspective.

Getting back to the original point, I agree there is nothing in it for PH to start talking about future plans here. Someone is always going to get their panties in a bunch about a promised feature so better to say nothing.

Psuper

13 Dec 2017

dioxide wrote:
13 Dec 2017
selig wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Take the comment “We won’t add audio to Reason until we can do it right"
Erm, did they ever actually say that? My recollection is that they really had absolutely zero interest in adding audio input into Reason, seeing Reason as a synth rack that was output only - despite already having a vocoder!
You are correct, they never said that -- they had no interest in having Audio in.
Oquasec wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Tbh, I feel like Reason was built in a way that was completely different from, and will never be comparable to a "Traditional" daw ever and anybody looking for something like that can hit the rewire hay, honestly rewire will get you the results you need outside of just migrating tot a new daw altogether.

Props understandably has to maintain this neat little system they have going on right now and for what it does it actually works fine.
Reason wasn't even a DAW until V6. Some wouldn't even purchase it until VST was added. So being a DAW wasn't anything Propellerhead aspired Reason to be... except most of us wanted and continue to want that.

The problem? Reason is half-baked in the DAW compartment, yet virtually the same as it's always been in the Rewired Instrument department. And not having some core DAW features, GUI enhancements, Backend options, Performance focused, etc, hurts it in both departments immensely. Hurts far more than not having a few more instrument devices done in-house.

R10 was a waste of time and resources, and a major opportunity lost as I outlined plenty of times before. You're seeing much more overall criticism than typically seen because of it and has ZERO to do with anyone wanting it to transform into some other 'traditional' DAW.

No one who uses Reason in any meaningful way would have balked had Reason 10 been "Many of the DAW features you've been wanting, a few select REs from the RE pool, with Grain and Europa as optional RE purchases" Insta buy for me. Hell I could pick 10 from that list of things most people want every "upgrade" and I'd pull out my money every. single. time.

Reason doesn't need to change its identity to become the DAW it wants to be.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

• Information