How many songs did you finish in 2017?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How many songs did you finish in 2017?

23%
1-5
34%
5-10
8%
10-20
12%
20-50
16%
50-100
3%
100 or more
3%

Total votes: 73
teddymcw

09 Dec 2017

moneykube wrote:
09 Dec 2017
100 or more? impressive!!!!
If one uses the method of habitually writing every day, even when one doesn't desire to, you'll break through diff kinds of barriers and yield diff results. Esp on the days you really don't want to write some funny stuff comes out haha. You'll get plenty redundancy and crud too, but it's a great method imho.

I even have an "Ode to Forgotten WIPs" songs that I need to record and mix.

It's the numerical and often mundane activity of finishing stuff that delays finished projects and releases in my mind. It's basically akin to just wanting t to make a mess playing in my room w my toys and have me mum clean up when I'm done.

moneykube

09 Dec 2017

:lol: that's funny... yes when I was younger we used to average at least a 100... I know what you say hey hey :puf_wink:
of course it was a 4 track cassette recorder in those days... reason not born yet
Last edited by moneykube on 09 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

CaliforniaBurrito

09 Dec 2017

I can only dream of pulling off a hundred tracks in a year. Sketches or eight bar loops is easy but actual flushed out arrangements and mixes take an incredible amount of focus. Congrats to whoever pulled that off. :wtf:

teddymcw

09 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
09 Dec 2017
I can only dream of pulling off a hundred tracks in a year. Sketches or eight bar loops is easy but actual flushed out arrangements and mixes take an incredible amount of focus. Congrats to whoever pulled that off. :wtf:
Keep in mind my statement was 'in my head I've completed the loop on over 100' which essentially means flushing out the arrangement and of course the mix in my thoughts bc everything sounds so lovely in isolation between the ears. 80% of the actual files don't sound nearly good enough to post nor are even arranged fully yet, but with free time and enough rough mixing skill any of one's even "eight bar loops" stringed together w decent transitions thought through could take form into a whole.

Prince said he used to write a song each day, which is prob hyperbole even for someone with his mind, not to mention surrounding resources, but the statement had value. In college a buddy and I took that statement to heart and tried to keep pace. Tho a lot of crap sputtered out at the beginning of music journey. Then things like work get in the way but hey you know.

btw, your newer name as of this year always makes me consider taking a walk down to the taco truck here in Oakland. Not quite SD style and sometimes less quality but the pavlovian response is still overwhelming lol

CaliforniaBurrito

09 Dec 2017

teddymcw wrote:
09 Dec 2017
btw, your newer name as of this year always makes me consider taking a walk down to the taco truck here in Oakland. Not quite SD style and sometimes less quality but the pavlovian response is still overwhelming lol
:lol:

I'm sure Oakland is still good though. For the longest time I didn't know the California Burrito was actually invented in San Diego. I recently read that Taco Bell just came out with their version of a California Burrito which looks pretty gross! They launched it in West Virginia of all places. Those poor people don't know any better.

Anyways, back to topic. I can relate to what you said about playing with toys and not wanting to clean up the mess. Arranging a track would be cleaning up the mess for me and it is hard to get going on that sometimes. This is where the discipline factor that Tritone mentioned comes into play for me.

teddymcw

09 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
09 Dec 2017
I'm sure Oakland is still good though.
Oh we're def not lacking in great spots but idt the quality fresh Mex is as ubiquitous here as it is in SD.
Starting burrito places across America was always the easy billion dollar idea since I was 10 yrs old or so. Chipotle didn't quite do it right. I get the craving wherever I go, sure I'm not alone in that.
CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
09 Dec 2017

Anyways, back to topic...
Discipline is what I'm learning and it's slowing me down but it's part of the maturation process.

Lastly, to qualify my statement of 100, which I still stand by, I'm including picking up the ac guitar and doing some folksy type of guitar / vocal stuff where I have all the sections down but certainly not a great recording.

Roughly 10 songs per month isn't too much too ask while sacrificing a healthier social life, haha. I def don't wanna be that misplaced machismo guy who is like "oh that's cute but I write like way more" haha. Just wanted to point out pros and cons of one method / mind state of a music practice.

O1B

10 Dec 2017

By finished, do you mean -
'saved to disk'? Friends have a copy / can listen?
Internet distribution?
Radio play?
just saying, "Im done"...?

regardless, I'm 'bout here:

freeing...

motuscott

10 Dec 2017

C'mon zeros, we can win this thing!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

ilikestargazing
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2017

About a dozen. A song reaches a certain point when I just feel like it's said what it has to say and any other ideas are better suited for another song.
Usually songs will take anything from a couple months to a couple years to finish. I'll spend a few minutes tweaking something now and then, or full day sessions when mood and time line up. Probably at least half the work is just the odd adjustment and a/b testing which can often go on for months.
The biggest struggle for me is simply structure, A to B to C. I like to play around a lot but that doesn't always make for a good song and I can get lost in elements.

Finished this album in October this year:

• Information