Redrum pitch in semitones?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
songsmite

06 Dec 2017

Hi all. First post here, I've been Reason user for long time but since Propellerheads forums closed down I never really knew about this place.

First question I have is regarding using Redrum pitch control to make pitch accurate adjustments. The manual states the control is +/- 1 octave. However they've used -63 to + 63 (for midi compatibility?) instead of noting the semitones.
Using some math I've come to think that it's impossible to move say 1 semitone because that would require far more precise control, or, 5.25 on the pitch control.
Any thoughts on this?

thanks

Creativemind

06 Dec 2017

Sounds like a normal parameter reading for a Reason device :)

Boggles me. Why isn't it in -12 to +12?

It's -64 to +63 too. Yes the manual says + or -1 octave so I can only presume -64 is -12 semitones and +63 is + 12 semitones which like you say, each increment would be 5.33. So if you want to pitch it down by 1 semitone, -5.33 will be it and +5.33 the other way.
Last edited by Creativemind on 06 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

househoppin09

06 Dec 2017

-12 to +12 would be no good for fine-tuning samples that are off-pitch. Normally in a situation like this you'd have a semi knob and a fine-tune knob, but they only wanted to dedicate the space for one knob, so we got a mishmash of both functions that doesn't fully satisfy either one.

Creativemind

06 Dec 2017

How does Npehaton / Drumazon or the original 808 or 909 work on their tone knobs.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

househoppin09

06 Dec 2017

The 808 and 909 are analog devices, so you have "infinite" resolution on the knobs. It's just a matter of how minutely you can physically manage to make the knob motions. I don't have enough experience with Nephaton or Drumazon to say for sure, but suspect that they use suitably high-res parameter ranges to simulate the analog experience. This is only an issue on the Redrum because of the dreadful 0-127 MIDI CC parameter resolution. As selig pointed out earlier today, newer Reason/RE devices are higher-res "behind the scenes" so that the 0-127 can be mapped onto a much larger value range, but the older Reason devices really do seem to be strictly limited to 128 total values, unfortunately.

• Information