Bouncing something to put in Grain - Rename it!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

05 Dec 2017

I have had a really great flow with bouncing something I'm working on and then dragging it from the desktop in to Grain. Usually I just solo the track in question, bounce it, and drag it back in. What I should be doing is renaming the sample instead of using my current project's working title - because it can come back to bite you!

I just lost something I was really enjoying working on, namely a psytrance squelch transformed through the awesome Grain. I had bounced the sample earlier in the session and had just kept it as the project's working title and dragged it in to Grain. I didn't actually save much in this session, and as I usually do through good habit - I bounce my project to .wav when doing a final save and finishing the session - here in lies the problem - as the sample in Grain was named the same as that final bounce I did at the end of my session - that is what was in Grain when I reopened it to next work on it :'(

I'm really bummed out as that sample was playing really well with another sound I was working with. Now I can't ever get that back. Reminds me how lucky we are we practically never get Reason crashes.

Anyway, we live and we learn - now I'll always name stuff that I am bouncing for Grain.

Loque

05 Dec 2017

Always save with all samples contained!

And btw, you can directly bounce the track to a new sample, that shows up in Reason File Browser under "Song samples" and you can drag that into Grain. This works great, as long as you dont have parallel channels which produces several bounced samples. But in this case you can still use file->bounce to song track and bounce this sample to a new sample in the file browser. You need Reason 9+ for this.
Reason12, Win10

Jagwah

06 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
05 Dec 2017
Always save with all samples contained!

And btw, you can directly bounce the track to a new sample, that shows up in Reason File Browser under "Song samples" and you can drag that into Grain. This works great, as long as you dont have parallel channels which produces several bounced samples. But in this case you can still use file->bounce to song track and bounce this sample to a new sample in the file browser. You need Reason 9+ for this.
That samples conatined thing really needs to be automatic imo.

I'll just get used to naming my quick dumps to desktop, thanks for the reply ;)

Oquasec

06 Dec 2017

Since The Reason 8 days I kept the self contain settings checked.
Should be in options menu somewhere
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

33db

06 Dec 2017

I've been having fun playing with Gregorian Monks singing in grain.

• Information