Q: What is the point of the CPU Limit option in Prefs?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

05 Dec 2017

LOL, what a thread - if your computer fries because you've set Reason to 'none' then you have a problem with your config (thermal paste, heatsing, ventillation / cooling) and not with Reason. CPUs are designed with appropriate tolerance buffers and are able to operate at 100% for prolonged periods of time. Unless you overclock themheavilly and/or and your colling isn't efficient, you should be fine. Yes, even with the 'none' setting :)

antic604

05 Dec 2017

BTW, I'm always amazed at how efficient Reason 10 is (with it's own devices) - all of the demo songs I tried barely register 1, max 2 bars on a i7 Surface Pro 4 running off of battery (so the clock is limited to 2.4GHz, instead of 3.2). That's crazy & I love it!

RandyEspoda

05 Dec 2017

Reason NEVER uses the full '100%' of your cpu's capabilities 'within the running OS'. Never.

Even when in reason you set cpu at 'NONE', in windows still only 40-50% of the actual cpu capabilities will be in use.
You can easily check it by opening the Task Manager while cranking up Reason's DSP. Even at 'NONE' and DSP full, in the task manager you'll see that only 50% (at MAX) will be in use by Windows (or mac for that matter).

I guess that is what OP is trying to say here.
So no, not in a million years will that setting cause any kind of cpu harm, unless your system is in terrible shape and running way too hot to begin with.

antic604

05 Dec 2017

RandyEspoda wrote:
05 Dec 2017
Reason NEVER uses the full '100%' of your cpu's capabilities 'within the running OS'. Never. Even when in reason you set cpu at 'NONE', in windows still only 40-50% of the actual cpu capabilities will be in use.
Well, it depends on the project - if some tracks are much "heavier" (CPU-wise) than others and there's some complex routing involved, then - due to the serial nature of audio processing, i.e. single chain -> single core; one may be putting a lot of stress on 1-2 cores and have others do much less, hence the CPU monitor in Windows will show 50-60%, even if Reason's playback starts to crack. If project is more balanced, then it is quite possible to push the CPU close to 100%.

normen

05 Dec 2017

RandyEspoda wrote:
05 Dec 2017
Reason NEVER uses the full '100%' of your cpu's capabilities 'within the running OS'. Never.

Even when in reason you set cpu at 'NONE', in windows still only 40-50% of the actual cpu capabilities will be in use.
You can easily check it by opening the Task Manager while cranking up Reason's DSP. Even at 'NONE' and DSP full, in the task manager you'll see that only 50% (at MAX) will be in use by Windows (or mac for that matter).

So no, not in a million years will that setting cause any kind of cpu harm, unless your system is in terrible shape and running way too hot to begin with.
That depends strongly on how your system is set up and how / what plugins you use. DSP load isn't CPU load but if you have for example a slow CPU and fast RAM/disk/everything with a PCI interface then yes, it can very well be that the CPU is the bottleneck and that it runs at 100%.

In most cases its as you say though, the CPU isn't really the bottleneck so even with 100% DSP load you only have 50% CPU load or whatever.

RandyEspoda

06 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
05 Dec 2017
RandyEspoda wrote:
05 Dec 2017

That depends strongly on how your system is set up and how / what plugins you use. DSP load isn't CPU load but if you have for example a slow CPU and fast RAM/disk/everything with a PCI interface then yes, it can very well be that the CPU is the bottleneck and that it runs at 100%.

In most cases its as you say though, the CPU isn't really the bottleneck so even with 100% DSP load you only have 50% CPU load or whatever.
Well yes, I agree, IF the cpu is the bottleneck to begin with. That's actually what I meant, and also falls under the idea of "unless your system is in terrible shape".
A system running on a truly slow cpu is imo a system in terrible shape (for reason).

I was going under the assumption of a fairly 'modern' cpu...

Though with a modern cpu, say a 5th gen i7 or something similar, you could never have it run at 100% within Reason.
Regardless of what 'kind' of project you run.
DSP will increase until full, when full it still won't be running the full 100% in windows. Never.

SA Studio

06 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
05 Dec 2017
SA Studio wrote:
No Reason user has ever "broken their CPU" by setting the CPU limit to none.

Ever. To assume you'd harm your CPU by setting the software limit to none is insane, man.

Enough is enough with that setting. It should be removed. You guys can't even properly explain why it's there.
We did properly explain it. Even within the first 3 replies. You just refute it, and that's fine. Even if you're wrong. :)
You think I'm wrong, Kenni?

You think people can fry their computer by setting the CPU Limit to Reason to none?

Are you serious?

SA Studio

06 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
05 Dec 2017
SA Studio wrote:
No Reason user has ever "broken their CPU" by setting the CPU limit to none.

Ever. To assume you'd harm your CPU by setting the software limit to none is insane, man.

Enough is enough with that setting. It should be removed. You guys can't even properly explain why it's there.
We did properly explain it. Even within the first 3 replies. You just refute it, and that's fine. Even if you're wrong. :)
I can't believe you think someone can damage their computer by setting Reasons CPU limit to none.

People, you cannot harm your computer by setting the CPU limit to none. I have thousands of hours with Reason. Don't listen to people who say Reason can damge your CPU - it can't.
Last edited by SA Studio on 06 Dec 2017, edited 2 times in total.

SA Studio

06 Dec 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
04 Dec 2017
Show me one person thats ever damaged their computer by setting Reasons CPU limit to none.

Show me one.

Seriously. Some of you people choose the wrong people to argue with. I know Reason so well it's not funny. There is no way Reason can damage your computer.

I'm really amazed at some of the replies here. You guys don't know Reason to well if you think it can damage your computer.

You don't know software or anything about computers if you think software in 2017 can fry your computer. That's dumbest thing I've ever heard. :lol: :lol:

househoppin09

06 Dec 2017

Doesn't this depend entirely on the computer? In systems that don't handle heat very well (which is plenty of them, laptops especially), pretty much anything that puts major strain on the CPU can fry things. Now, that'd obviously be the fault of the user and/or the system, and not Reason's fault, but having the option to do a CPU restriction in Reason can help such people protect themselves. I know that on my laptop, the temps get dangerous well before DSP is fully maxed out. Even at 70% DSP, they start to get pretty iffy. I've tried removing the limit and the temps climb beyond what I feel is safe for my system. It has nothing to do with the question of 100% CPU utilization, which of course is rarely observed even with DSP at 100%. It's just a matter of many systems not even having the heat management capacity to handle CPU loads well under 100%.

Now, I do see the argument that it should be off by default, and I think there's a case to be made there. FWIW, I think the Props actually see the limit as being more for the purpose of pre-emptively preventing DSP loads where the audio will start to glitch and drop out, which is admittedly a bit silly.

househoppin09

06 Dec 2017

Can't... resist...
SA Studio wrote:
06 Dec 2017
You don't know software or anything about computers if you think software in 2017 can fry your computer. That's dumbest thing I've ever heard. :lol: :lol:
Yes, you're clearly a genius when it comes to computers and what can or can't fry them, since you're apparently unfamiliar with the concept of system temperature going up when software places increased demands upon the system, and/or with the fact that many systems don't dissipate heat well enough to safely handle the resulting temperature increases. Thanks so much for enlightening us... :roll:

Goriila Texas

06 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
04 Dec 2017
Or that! ^
I guess you not going to change my forum name? It's been months.

SA Studio

07 Dec 2017

househoppin09 wrote:
06 Dec 2017
Can't... resist...
SA Studio wrote:
06 Dec 2017
Yes, you're clearly a genius when it comes to computers and what can or can't fry them, since you're apparently unfamiliar with the concept of system temperature going up when software places increased demands upon the system, and/or with the fact that many systems don't dissipate heat well enough to safely handle the resulting temperature increases. Thanks so much for enlightening us... :roll:
And you think Reasons CPU limit set to none is going to fry a computer???

HAHAHAH!! Dude!!!! At what point do you realize you're talking to someone who has used Reason for 1000's.....LITERALLY.......1000's of hours?

At what point are any of you going to admit that?

No matter = If you think SOFTWARE CAN UNSAFELY INCUR MELTDOWN IN A CPU IN 2017, YOU SHOULD SEEK HELP.

No software company would ever run the risk of starting fires in people homes and properties and the fact I even have to vocalize this should say a lot about who's listening. This is ridiculous!
Last edited by SA Studio on 07 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

SA Studio

07 Dec 2017

Look at what's happening here.

People here, including the moderator, are catering to the notion that software could start a fire in your house or melt your computer if you set an option in Preferences to None.......

This is a real shame.

jayhosking

07 Dec 2017

I think we can safely say this thread is incurring a meltdown

SA Studio

07 Dec 2017

Yes, because telling people that you could damage your property by setting Reasons's CPU Limit to none is absolutely stupid! :lol: You can say I'm melting down if you want.

Look at what people are saying!

That an option in a software's preferences could melt someone's CPU.

Go ahead and think I'm the crazy one if you want. Thinking a company would put an option in software that could damage property is the dumbest thing anyone said on the internet in 2017.

Kenni
Site Admin

07 Dec 2017

From the guidelines:

Code: Select all

4. It’s not only about the words you use, but also your intentions. Keep this in mind at all times
Seeing as OP et al. has problems actually carrying this one out in a respectable tone, this thread is closed.
You think people can fry their computer by setting the CPU Limit to Reason to none?
I never said that, please re-read my reply.

PS: normen and I are, as far as I know, both developers. We know software and you could have settled for the first two replies you got in this thread.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information