Anyone using a PhatBoy still?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
audiomidiman

02 Dec 2017

Purchased this thing around Rebirth 1.0 I believe. Remember everyone wanting one. It’s been sitting in a box and plan on hooking it up back into the MIDI chain.

motuscott

02 Dec 2017

Phat beat alert!

What is?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

audiomidiman

02 Dec 2017

motuscott wrote:Phat beat alert!

What is?
Just a simple midi controller. It came out about version 1.5 rebirth (if I said reason i was wrong). Everyone running rebirth wanted one. It was a good way to automate your knobs and sliders in rebirth. I was using Cubase VST w/ rewire running rebirth and retro as1.

groggy1

02 Dec 2017

I used to have a PhatBoy years ago, but one of the knobs got stuck. I miss it dearly.

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Dec 2017

I remember wanting one of these so bad in 98-99 for rebirth 338, but at the time they were crazy expensive for my budget.

joeyluck

02 Dec 2017

audiomidiman wrote:
02 Dec 2017
Purchased this thing around Rebirth 1.0 I believe. Remember everyone wanting one. It’s been sitting in a box and plan on hooking it up back into the MIDI chain.
Awesome! Yes, it's a great piece of hardware. You own a part of MIDI hardware history!
Would be cool to have one :)

In our interview with Dave of GForce Software, he talked about his involvement in making the Phat.Boy.
https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/11/inte ... -software/

Resonator

03 Dec 2017

I bought a phatboy back then too. Wish I would have kept it.

ejanuska

03 Dec 2017

I guess the closet thing to something like that now is a MIDI Fighter Twister

audiomidiman

04 Dec 2017

So, it's worth it to start using it again? :)

16BitBear

06 Dec 2017

I bought one then and still use it today. It has a preset mapping for Roland's JV 2010 which is fantastic. So it sits on top of it in my rack and makes it so much easier to get great sounds still out of the unit. I haven't used it with software in years though.

Faastwalker

07 Dec 2017

One of the original & best MIDI controllers. Just a solid box, bank of knobs for synth control. Spot on really. I had a cheap Evolution equivalent that was basically the same thing in a less fancy box and some control buttons that I hardly ever used;

The UC-33 was it's bigger brother & a very nice bit of kit. A golden age of affordable & capable MIDI controllers that were excellent for controlling soft synths? There are not so many of these sorts of controllers around these days for such purposes. On the other hand we're literally swimming in Ableton Live controllers and 8 knobs / sliders / buttons type configurations. We need a new Phat Boy with twice as many endless encoders & some sort of display feedback to show parameter position. The Behringer BCR2000 is one of the only widely available options out there.

audiomidiman

14 Dec 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
07 Dec 2017
One of the original & best MIDI controllers. Just a solid box, bank of knobs for synth control. Spot on really. I had a cheap Evolution equivalent that was basically the same thing in a less fancy box and some control buttons that I hardly ever used;

The UC-33 was it's bigger brother & a very nice bit of kit. A golden age of affordable & capable MIDI controllers that were excellent for controlling soft synths? There are not so many of these sorts of controllers around these days for such purposes. On the other hand we're literally swimming in Ableton Live controllers and 8 knobs / sliders / buttons type configurations. We need a new Phat Boy with twice as many endless encoders & some sort of display feedback to show parameter position. The Behringer BCR2000 is one of the only widely available options out there.
Wow, that Evolution is pretty damn cool... I have an Evolution keyboard controller which has low miles on it... but, is acting funny. :(

• Information