My love of Electro Harmonix pedals realized in 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
calebbrennan

29 Nov 2017

In previous posts I've been on a journey to recreate EHX pedals.

One response said "just buy the pedals" good advice it would be easier but more costly

My personal challenge was to
program it in reason

Using
Polar
Pulverizer
sream
synchonous
rv 7000 REverse reverb

I have been achieviing what I was looking for

wireless

15 Dec 2017

Hey, that sounds intriguing! I enjoy playing guitar and those pedals do make amazing sounds. I've never taken the leap myself into real hardware but have drooled over them in the odd guitar shop. Are you up for sharing your patches?

MannequinRaces

15 Dec 2017

What pedals are you modeling? I’d be interested in the patches also! :)

strangers
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2017

Interested in hearing some clips to know which pedals you're talking about. I always had limited real estate on my pedalboard. Ehx pedals were usually too big. It was a good day when they released a manageable sized version of the Holy Grail Reverb.

ejanuska

17 Dec 2017

What a tease.

I have more EHX pedals then any other brand. Lots of bang for the buck.

Quiloc Lim

17 Dec 2017

calebbrennan wrote:
29 Nov 2017
In previous posts I've been on a journey to recreate EHX pedals.

One response said "just buy the pedals" good advice it would be easier but more costly

My personal challenge was to
program it in reason

Using
Polar
Pulverizer
sream
synchonous
rv 7000 REverse reverb

I have been achieviing what I was looking for
Time to make & sell a refill, me thinks. ;)

calebbrennan

18 Dec 2017

Quiloc Lim said :Time to make & sell a refill, me thinks
I have several questions for all of you.

1)Quiloc, I never entertained that I might be able to sell a patch. Is there any money in it?

I know Marco Rapost does and I want to buy his Rockmen Patch. In fact I give a shout out to Marco here as it was Marco's free advice on this forum about the Pulverizer that allowed me to achieve what I was looking for as I didn't really understand how much it was capable of.

In particular I was trying to emulate the ehx micro synth and I have done that and more because now that I have upgraded to R10 and bought Polar and have access to synchronous i am bedazzled.

)ejanuska
What a tease
Data_Shrine
We want proof... :D
2)
I'm willing to share a patch gratis but guess what? I don't know how to do that here! I made a combinator patch, copied it and tried pasting here but after I copy the patch it won't let me paste it. What is the protocol to do that here?

As far as being a programmer I'm very intuitive but also very slow as I don't even know how to post a patch here. What's the trick? I go into full editor and preview but I don't see a button on the menu to allow that.

3)Questiion about synchronous. Why are the Mod control color coded +/- knobs sometimes unresponsive? It seems I can adjust them at times and sometimes not.

Thanks in advance

househoppin09

18 Dec 2017

See that "attachments" tab below the text area where you type your post (in the full editor)? Click that and there should be an "add files" button which will open up a file dialog. Find the .cmb patch in there and attach it to your post. Looking forward to checking out the patches!

calebbrennan

18 Dec 2017

I tried attachments to upload and I get an error message saying it's not a recognized file

The Instructions in help say I can just drag and drop a file to my comment on a thread so I opened reason talk in one window and the combinator folder in another window and it would not drag and drop?

What Am I doing wrong?

calebbrennan

18 Dec 2017

I checked my files are .cmb

Frustrating but then again it is Mercury retrograde till late december.

Merry Chistmas

househoppin09

18 Dec 2017

Try this: make a .zip file of the .cmb and then attach the .zip to your post. (If on Windows you can right click on the .cmb and go to "Send To -> Compressed (zipped) folder". Not sure about Mac, but it can't be too difficult.)

calebbrennan

19 Dec 2017

Lets see if this works. Let me know
calebEHXmicrosynthPolarupPitchFB clean A.zip
(4.02 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
This patch is mostly pulverizer slow attack combined with a polar dual pitch shift
Synchronous here in a tame mode compared to other patches I'm working on.

Just like the micro synth the picking strenght decides the envelope
Attachments
calebEHXmicrosynthPolarupPitchFB clean A.zip
(4.02 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

calebbrennan

19 Dec 2017

I don't want to take away business from EHX

I think electro harmonix should create RE's as there is no way I can emulate what they have done with Ravish Sitar,

https://www.ehx.com/blog/ravish-sitar-a ... e-matthews

or organ

https://www.ehx.com/organsgb

Or piano

https://www.ehx.com/blog/electro-harmon ... no-machine

But from a sound designers perspective I thought it could be a challenge for every one of you synth nerds who play guitar

EHX design was fascinating using only a guitar as the oscillation and pitch and creating such wide variaty of timbres attack and modulation.

With only a six string electric as the source. Yes I know they are finicky pedals you have to learn to play

But still,.....How did they do that?

calebbrennan

19 Dec 2017

Electro Harmonix pedal are too large and unweildly

this calls to mind a thread from a guy here who created a rack for his bands entire performance. And he posted pictures of his rack and I can't find it, He's on an island somewhere.

What was that thread?

They elimated amps and went direct with amp emulations through the sound system.
I love that thread because it reminded me of two things.

The first time I saw a concert with no amps on stage and the drummer behind plexiglass was Todd Rundgren Utopia when I was a teenager. Rundgren knew that Amps on stage were voltile so he designed a small 12 x 12 box with an enclosed speaker and mic to mimic the lead guitar sound absolutly brilliant and imitated

I played NYC clubs as using a Rockman and it was a fragile setup with
mini plug to the stage diret box but sounded better than my vintage fender vibroverb.

Go figure

wireless

19 Dec 2017

Hi calebbrennan, Thanks so much for sharing. This patch seems to need plug-ins that I don't own. The link to the Props shop says that I need the Polar Dual Pitch Shifter (at 69 Euro) and the kHs Chorus (free).

I downloaded the freebie Chorus plus a trial of the Pitch Shifter, so that I could play a little.

Here's some feedback below - but please take this as it is intended - constructively.
1) The output was mono. I could imagine this being even better if it was put into stereo, so that further stereo processing can be applied.
2) The volume output was low meaning that my speakers had to be ramped up (strange but the volume jumped up when I went into record...)
3) The sound output level is very heavily related to the volume level in from the guitar (adversely). This setup seems to go into soft-limiting with the volume turned up (a bit like turning up the 'A' in the ADSL envelope) so that you get a soft hit followed by a ramp up in volume. I personally preferred the results with my guitar level turned way down (but that's a detail).
4) The kHs chorus effect that was suggested by Reason 10 when Ioading the Combinator patch does not actually appear to be located in my copy of the patch when I look at the devices actually loaded. Is it meant to be there, or is this some weird artifact of the Props shop?
5) I have no idea what Synchronous is actually doing here as it appears to be loaded with the default patch and when switched into bypass and back there was no difference to the sound I was getting.

I got some pleasing new effects out of this as it stands - this seems to be coming from the combination of an instrument I didn't have before plus the Pulversiser. I would be interested to have your thoughts on the Synchronous patch I should be using, as I suspect that this was not what you intended.

PS I enjoyed watching your links.
For info, it was the EHX Synth9 that first attracted me to EHX pedals, but so far I've not felt it was worth spending that much cash - it was this video that 'sold it' for me:-

wireless

19 Dec 2017

As to your 'challenge' - how do we emulate those. In my view we need to start with an audio to midi core, and then the ability in Reason to be able to route that midi to core instruments, REs and to VSTs. I'm not minimising the effort in emulating an EHX pedal, but we're a little bit stuck with Reason 10 in that it can't even get to the second part of this solution whereas other DAWs do have that capability.
The first part of the solution is well served by, for example, Jam Origin's Midi Guitar 2. Outside of Reason, this product runs as a stand-alone software solution that can convert guitar audio to midi and route it to any VST instruments that you choose. It's a fantastic product that produces latency at sufficiently low levels as to be useable. Put it into Reason as a VST and you can still select any VST instrument and go on to record the resulting audio as a Reason track. But you cannot route the midi produced into Reason core instruments or into Rack Extensions since that capability is missing in Reason.

Propellerheads.... Please Please......

ejanuska

19 Dec 2017

I never thought EHX pedals we're finicky. That comment is strange.
They have been reissuing popular larger pedals in smaller formats, for example the POG, Big Muff, Small Stone and more have been shrunk. Some are still pretty large, Memory Man, Cathedral, etc. But they have too many controls to shrink much more without requiring fingers of a child. You never know when you have to adjust something with your foot. Can't do that with a tiny knob. That didn't sound right.

calebbrennan

20 Dec 2017

What none of you can explain to me is how electro harmonix can can take a guitar audio signal and transform it so brilliantly.

I tried to emulate the EHX micro synth and succeeded but how the hell do they make a polyphonic synth sounds? It boggle the brain. My challenge was someone tell me how they can take a guitar signal and do that?
All us sound designers here. Maybe Selig has an answer

I'm not interested in guitar to midi via vst. I've been through the midi guitar thing and have used it on tracks successfully but it is annoying as shit.

I'm baffled

calebbrennan

20 Dec 2017

I never thought EHX pedals we're finicky. That comment is strange.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finicky was not the right word,.. noisy and problematic when i owned the original mirco synth and memory man. Don't get me wrong I loved them.

MarkTarlton

20 Dec 2017

calebbrennan wrote:
19 Dec 2017

this calls to mind a thread from a guy here who created a rack for his bands entire performance. And he posted pictures of his rack and I can't find it, He's on an island somewhere.

What was that thread?

They elimated amps and went direct with amp emulations through the sound system.
I love that thread because it reminded me of two things.
I'm thinking that was normen.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7504246&p=367340#p367340

wireless

20 Dec 2017

Calebbrennan, I tinkered around with your idea a little and came up with the
CMB_Overtone_Guitar_Effect_Wireless.zip
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
attached Combinator. As other readers may have noted, it requires a copy of the Polar Pitch Shifter (available for trial, or currently in the Shop on offer at 49 euros).
Any comments for improvement welcome - early days, but I'm enjoying my first taste of real-time pitch-shifting.

BRIGGS

21 Dec 2017

r11s

O1B

22 Dec 2017

I wouldn't say they RULE... but they do do their thing.
Their distortion has a digital 'rounding' to the sound - where Moog/others leaves it frizzy and effervescent.

I have a few and could care less about the size - if the pedal is right.
(After a Moogerfooger, 4X6" is nothing.)

Big ONES:
EPITOME (controllable, nice FLANGE control), STEREO
SuperEGO+(has FREEZE built-in),
Super Pulsar (TAP w/divisions, variable or CV, envelope control, not as cutting as Zvex, but nice stereo) *** Guitar Center shows $89 instead on $250 at sweetwater. just not available till Jan18... ***
- I'd own QTron+ if it was stereo.
- I went with KOMA Delay/Gate (BBD-1) over the EHX Tone Tattoo.
Pan Pedal (or - Expresion)

Medium:
Platform - Good Roadie - SUSTAIN, and Overdrive Circuit good for RnD.
Overlord - STEREO, EQ, Distortion

Little:
Pitch-FORK - AWESOME!
Crayon 76 - Quick n Dirty OD - but, I prefer Moog
Silencer - (Main and Fx Send line) - i prefer Rocktron Hush 2x.
can't forget Canyon - but, I prefer MXR Epitome or Strymon - ANY!
Cant't afford... no room for... can't justify (yet)
HOG2, POG2, Ringthing, V256 Vocoder, HOAX, etc... and,....
a new polyphonic pitch shifter pedal: Slammi Plus Polyphonic Pitch Shifter Pedal
now, thats the way to pitch shift!

• Information