Reason 10 too slow with VST

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
normen

13 Dec 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Individual buffer for each VST device would be a nightmare, I'd say, if each one had a button on the back for more buffer +64 how would each user determine what is better from device to device.
Hm, yeah. But I guess it would be a better solution than a simple "VST buffer size" in the Reason settings - which would make ALL VSTs have additional latency. If you could set a buffer size for single VSTs that would allow solving the problem only where it actually occurs. And people seem to notice when their stuff doesn't work :)

chaosroyale

13 Dec 2017

Surely there's a compromise option -> "allow VSTs with no CV input to use an arbitrary buffer (based on a sample of popular VST real world performance stats) that usually increases performance and at least won't make it worse, VSTs with CV inputs will continue using 64 sample buffer".

The performance increase doesn't need to be optimal, it only needs to be a good compromise that gets increased performance in most situations.

AttenuationHz

13 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
13 Dec 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Individual buffer for each VST device would be a nightmare, I'd say, if each one had a button on the back for more buffer +64 how would each user determine what is better from device to device.
Hm, yeah. But I guess it would be a better solution than a simple "VST buffer size" in the Reason settings - which would make ALL VSTs have additional latency. If you could set a buffer size for single VSTs that would allow solving the problem only where it actually occurs. And people seem to notice when their stuff doesn't work :)
How does rewire in other DAW's handle VST's (Reaper) that could be another solution! ReWiring Reasons native devices from Reason and back into Reason. Or even ReWiring buffers everything on 64 grouped, everything on 128 another group, 256 another group. What would be lost in terms of CV with those higher buffer rates and would there be a way to compensate for that loss i.e. higher sample rates for the buffer. Higher sample rate more resources so that would be counter intuitive I know but would using a non standard sample rate compensate for a loss of clarity for CV.

I only ask because Reaper is another sort of beast but any time I've used it there has been no apparent differences when rewiring Reason, no delays anyway. Ableton I have noticed delays just using VST's.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

normen

13 Dec 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Dec 2017
How does rewire in other DAW's handle VST's (Reaper) that could be another solution! ReWiring Reasons native devices from Reason and back into Reason. Or even ReWiring buffers everything on 64 grouped, everything on 128 another group, 256 another group. What would be lost in terms of CV with those higher buffer rates and would there be a way to compensate for that loss i.e. higher sample rates for the buffer. Higher sample rate more resources so that would be counter intuitive I know but would using a non standard sample rate compensate for a loss of clarity for CV.

I only ask because Reaper is another sort of beast but any time I've used it there has been no apparent differences when rewiring Reason, no delays anyway. Ableton I have noticed delays just using VST's.
Totally overblown :) It's really not an issue per se, giving VSTs a larger buffer - its just that it doesn't fit into Reason as its based around a small buffer.. Simple as that.

So its not really Reason that has an issue, Reason works beautifully with VSTs that scale linearly in terms of buffer size. But of course I understand people who want to use plugins that don't. So either a simple global VST buffer setting or even a backpanel switch to set it per plugin would help for those, with PDC it's really not an issue. The PDC as its implemented in Reason now wouldn't counter the CV or other routing latency anyway, no matter how the latency was generated.

Jmax

22 Jan 2018

You need more Ram..8gb is a joke. You want to use Kontakt instruments. 32gb is what you need.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Gorgon

22 Jan 2018

Jmax wrote:
22 Jan 2018
You need more Ram..8gb is a joke. You want to use Kontakt instruments. 32gb is what you need.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Lol. No. You can see the amount of RAM you need. If you run on 90% you should probably upgrade. If you don't even use half your RAM it's useless to upgrade.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

33db

27 Jan 2018

Update: I rebuilt my computer added 16 GB RAM and it's a clean drive with just the music software on it (no chinese drone software or Adobe software) and so far Exhale is playing nice, get 3 iterations of it going before it starts to crackle.
So it appears to be the typical Windows problem, numerous installs and uninstalls of various software leave junk behind and/or cause issues.

RANT Komplete 11 was an upgrade for me, so no ISO's are available.
It appears you either got the harddrive when you bought the whole thing or you get to use their "Native Access" app to download 50+ GB's of files.... sigh.... you can not imagine the tedious nature of this. /RANT

Mark7ones

28 Aug 2018

I've read the thread looking for answers, but I'm even more confused than before.
I do not understand ... but if they already knew that 90% of the VSTs would not work, why did they decide to support them?
Here (https://help.propellerheads.se/hc/en-us ... erformance) they write that I should set the buffer at 512 and the sample rate at 44.1 kHz, so let's go back to twenty years ago...
But let's forget everything for a moment and talk about Bias Amp.
I can not use it because my "computer is too slow" (8-core, 16 GB of ram, ssd... it's a shit...).
But I see on Youtube that others can use it.
My suspicion is that things are better on the Intel platform; but I have AMD.
Can someone confirm?

EnochLight

28 Aug 2018

Mark7ones wrote:
28 Aug 2018

I do not understand ... but if they already knew that 90% of the VSTs would not work, why did they decide to support them?
This is not even remotely true. Sorry.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Mark7ones

28 Aug 2018

EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2018
Mark7ones wrote:
28 Aug 2018

This is not even remotely true. Sorry.
"Walk left, safe. Walk right, safe. Walk in the middle, you get squished like a grape." (as Miyagi said...)
Just put 2 Dr.Rex and 2 VST and the program freezes, but how can you say it's not true...? Do you work for Propellerhead...? They told me that everything was fine too... :)

antic604

28 Aug 2018

Mark7ones wrote:
28 Aug 2018
Just put 2 Dr.Rex and 2 VST and the program freezes, but how can you say it's not true...?
It doesn't. And I work on Surface Pro 4 with a low-power dual-core i7-6650U, which probably is like 25-33% of the power of your 8-core CPU.

Also, out of 50+ legit VSTs that I own only those don't work that shouldn't - MIDI effects, because they're simply not supported yet.

EnochLight

28 Aug 2018

Mark7ones wrote:
28 Aug 2018
Just put 2 Dr.Rex and 2 VST and the program freezes, but how can you say it's not true...?
Works fine. In fact, I've got projects with dozens of VST running just fine, and this is on a 6+ year old i7 3770k. So, yeah, it's not even remotely true in my experience.
Mark7ones wrote:
28 Aug 2018
Do you work for Propellerhead...? They told me that everything was fine too... :)
No, I'm in business management and property acquisitions. Please note: I'm not suggesting Reason doesn't need to be improved - it's a well known public fact that Props are working on a performance improving update that will be released free later this year. But when you make statements like:
..it's very much untrue. What 90% of VST's don't work? Please list them. Perhaps you can submit a list of non-functioning VST's in Reason to Props so they can fix it. +90% of the VST I have (which are legion) work in Reason.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

28 Aug 2018

EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2018
Please list them. Perhaps you can submit a list of non-functioning VST's in Reason to Props so they can fix it. +90% of the VST I have (which are legion) work in Reason.
32-bit torrent plugins :)

EnochLight

28 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
28 Aug 2018
EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2018
Please list them. Perhaps you can submit a list of non-functioning VST's in Reason to Props so they can fix it. +90% of the VST I have (which are legion) work in Reason.
32-bit torrent plugins :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark7ones

29 Aug 2018

Ok, so Intel guys don't have all these problems.
When I say that 90% of VSTs doesn't work, I mean that 90% of VSTs causes continuous audio interruptions, pops and clicks.
By increasing the buffer the situation improves slightly, but I can not play or record with latency at 25-30ms.
This is what happens to those with an AMD processor.
If you then want to keep saying that everything works, it's ok; after another ridiculous discussion I left Reaper and moved to Reason.
I can safely abandon Reason and move on to something else... :)

As I said, an FX8320, 16 GB ram, SSD, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 should be enough to load some VSTs... evidently with Reason it is not enough.
I like Reason and its REs, I spent a lot of money on them, but I need VTSs too.

EdGrip

29 Aug 2018

Coolio. Keep on truckin', and remember, it's all the DAWs that are wrong, not your system.

normen

29 Aug 2018

EdGrip wrote:
29 Aug 2018
Coolio. Keep on truckin', and remember, it's all the DAWs that are wrong, not your system.
It's the guitarists that are wrong, not your bass.

O1B

29 Aug 2018

normen wrote:
13 Dec 2017
... So its not really Reason that has an issue, Reason works beautifully with VSTs ...

:lol:

Gruberman

29 Aug 2018

Mark7ones wrote:
29 Aug 2018
Ok, so Intel guys don't have all these problems.
When I say that 90% of VSTs doesn't work, I mean that 90% of VSTs causes continuous audio interruptions, pops and clicks.
By increasing the buffer the situation improves slightly, but I can not play or record with latency at 25-30ms.
This is what happens to those with an AMD processor.
If you then want to keep saying that everything works, it's ok; after another ridiculous discussion I left Reaper and moved to Reason.
I can safely abandon Reason and move on to something else... :)

As I said, an FX8320, 16 GB ram, SSD, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 should be enough to load some VSTs... evidently with Reason it is not enough.
Can you name the vsti's so we can help?

Mark7ones

29 Aug 2018

Gruberman wrote:
29 Aug 2018
Can you name the vsti's so we can help?
As I said Bias Amp.
I can't play a single note...
Reason says my computer is too slow.
Also Head Crusher (sometimes) or others.
They are 64-bit, so I don't think plugin architecture is the problem as someone continues to say.
Some jBridged 32-bit plugins work better than 64's.
Someone else said it's "scaling" issue... scaling? Why they work on Intel platform and not on AMD?
Will Propellerhead fix the problem? Yeah, probably for Reason v20.

I know that probably there's no workaround, but I give it a try.
Sometimes on forums you find smart people that with some tip can solve you problems that you think cannot be solved.
That's not the case... :)

Mark7ones

29 Aug 2018

Now before you write other bullshits... :)
Is there anyone with an AMD FX cpu that can use BIAS amp in Reason?
Please tell me how...

selig
RE Developer

29 Aug 2018

normen wrote:
29 Aug 2018
EdGrip wrote:
29 Aug 2018
It's the guitarists that are wrong, not your bass.
It's the metronome that's wrong, not your drumming…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

29 Aug 2018

Mark7ones wrote:
29 Aug 2018
I agree that you should be able to run at least a few VST on that FX8320, but I didn't realize how poor its single thread performance was (I'm comparing its single thread performance to my +6 year old CPU):

FX8320.jpg
FX8320.jpg (160.61 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

Not to be offensive, but you have - in every bit of the sense - a budget CPU that is not designed well for pro audio. That you're able to squeeze performance out of it in Reaper or other DAW is a testament to its worth, though. You're going to have to revisit Reason once Propellerhead release the VST-performance fix later this year (or early next year, who knows). For now, you may be stuck with high sample rate buffer settings and minimal VST.
O1B wrote:
29 Aug 2018
yard_sale_barbie.jpg
yard_sale_barbie.jpg (116.67 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
:lol:
Ahhhhhh yardsale Barbie. We hardly knew ye... :lol:

antic604

29 Aug 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Aug 2018
Not to be offensive, but you have - in every bit of the sense - a budget CPU that is not designed well for pro audio. That you're able to squeeze performance out of it in Reaper or other DAW is a testament to its worth, though.
Damn, you're onto something. Comparing that AMD to my measly low-power i7 in a "tablet" PC shows that overall it is 62% faster, but single-core - which is where every individual track, incl. instrument & FX chains is being processed - performance is actually 23% lower!!!

Mark7ones

29 Aug 2018

Come on! I played Call of Duty WWII at full details last year with this "budget" cpu.
Cannot run a couple of plugins?
It's not a performance issue, it's bad coding...
If I had the same problems with other DAWs then ok you'd be right.
But the problem is with Reason only.
Basically you have to close everything except Reason and pray.
It cannot handle any spike in cpu or ram usage; and I don't work on massive projects (only few tracks).
Anyway, I didn't want to make a cpu test-comparison.
So I ask for the last time, anyone is able to use Bias Amp with Reason on AMD platform?

• Information