Reason 1.0 vs 10.0 - visual comparison

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

Post 30 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
30 Jan 2018
Psuper wrote:
30 Jan 2018
Propellehead almost never work on the core program (just cherry-pick an item here or there every release as I noted). They have a very small team who obviously develop instruments and devices, certainly not the core program.. There's simply too many items that have not been addressed in the slightest and only one of a couple possible reasons which include my original points, or simple incompetence. That a majority of users haven't asked for it is undoubtedly not one of those reasons. It never was more obvious than in their official forums they shut down due to incompetence on their end. That one move purposely destroyed an invaluable wealth about their own creation - knowledge, resources, and incredible feedback (which was ignored until it reached monumental proportions and not always even then). It was after that shutdown I decided always look deeper with this company, and not automatically assume them the benefit of the doubt. I see ineptitude at multiple levels of management, still love Reason for what it is, and hope for what it should be.
Well, I hope you're wrong because otherwise that's a very bleak picture :(
I don't think anyone hopes I'm wrong more than me. Its why I point things out to the only user base worth discussing this stuff with anymore (here in RT), in hopes that some people realize the best way to expect better from Propellerheads... is to expect better from Propellerheads.

Their silence is a huge problem as well -- I rarely talk about it as its a dead horse beat many years ago. Never have I seen a more disconnected developer from their users.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

JRJulius
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jan 2018

Post 30 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
30 Jan 2018
JRJulius wrote:
30 Jan 2018
I think it’s worth weighing in on this. I’m not a developer but I work closely with the product managers at a software company. Managing a product roadmap is a balance between updates to address minimum needs and keep up with your industry, updates to address client wants and asks, updates to address your own “cutting edge” vision, and basic quality of life updates.
But isn't the problem that many don't see them doing any of those or - at the very least & going by v10 alone - that they only focus on their vision but it's not nowhere near "cutting edge"?
Yeah, “Cutting Edge” is highly subjective (and a lot of the complaints I see online are highly valid, if not a bit overly demanding IMO). But I’ve been a casual user since v6 and every update has had a clear focus — v10 is brand new instruments, v9 was the Players and various “play nice” features (Link, VST), v8 was the new UI and browser/workflow improvements, v7 was sequencer improvements and External MIDI, and v6/6.5 brought Record/Rack Extensions.

These features have all been readily available in other DAWs which is what fuels the perception that Reason is behind the times. But every new feature is rolled out deliberately and never feels “slapped together.” I didn’t really appreciate Reason until I started using Logic Pro X, which has every feature I can imagine but almost no sense of cohesion.

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jan 2018

JRJulius wrote:
30 Jan 2018
updates to address your own “cutting edge” vision
antic604 wrote:
30 Jan 2018
they only focus on their vision but it's not nowhere near "cutting edge"?
JRJulius wrote:
30 Jan 2018
Yeah, “Cutting Edge” is highly subjective
:lol:

looks like this kind of loop happens often around these parts - subjectivity seems to be a highly subjective topic ;)
Last edited by normen on 30 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

Post 31 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
30 Jan 2018
:lol:

looks like this kind of loop happens often around these parts - subjectivity seems to be a highly subjective topic ;)
That's your subjective opinion :P

JRJulius
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jan 2018

Post 31 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
30 Jan 2018
JRJulius wrote:
30 Jan 2018
updates to address your own “cutting edge” vision
antic604 wrote:
30 Jan 2018
they only focus on their vision but it's not nowhere near "cutting edge"?
JRJulius wrote:
30 Jan 2018
Yeah, “Cutting Edge” is highly subjective
:lol:

looks like this kind of loop happens often around these parts - subjectivity seems to be a highly subjective topic ;)
I haven’t been posting or lurking for long but this seems to be a very polite forum and I like it.

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 31 Jan 2018

JRJulius wrote:
31 Jan 2018
I haven’t been posting or lurking for long but this seems to be a very polite forum and I like it.
Totally, I just came out of a discussion about that here lately :)

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

Post 31 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
31 Jan 2018
JRJulius wrote:
31 Jan 2018
I haven’t been posting or lurking for long but this seems to be a very polite forum and I like it.
Totally, I just came out of a discussion about that here lately :)
Certainly a more mature audience here, most of us have been using Reason for a long time as well.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Ivan sky
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Jul 2020

Post 05 Jul 2020

The incessant need to cosmetically change things is a hallmark of the culture of the cheap and disposable.

Upgrading resolution might be nice, but the fact that reason instruments stay the same in appearance is vital to their brand. Consistency = confidence.

I was a user back at v 2.5, and then jumped back in at v 10. I was deeply relieved to see the old instruments looking and feeling the same. Don't forget, reason's brand has always been about making you feel like you're looking at something physically real. Part of that is keeping it looking the same - like the user who said a Prophet 5 still looks like a Prophet 5 (so does the 6 for that matter!)

When companies start pandering to users urging them to be like everyone else, they loose their identity and typically die. Remember blackberry? It was the only smartphone with a physical keyboard, and that's what people liked about it. Then they thought they could expand their market share by being like everyone else and making indistinct, featureless slab phones. Instant death.

Reason's niche is smaller than other daws, but they need to keep their identity. The addition of the reason rack plugin feature will likely save them. A facelift wouldn't have. They are not "lazy" or "neglectful" about aesthetics. They are consistent, and have demonstrated a preference for substantive upgrades, rather than superficial embroidery.


It's great for us users and musicians that different brands have their own flavors. I have my complaints about certain functional issues with reason, but I love that they have their own distinct flavor. It will never be my only daw (the sequencer is cryptic and hindering to me ) but I always enjoy jumping in for a little reason "session", and now that I can plug it into my other daw, it's very hard to complain. :)

User avatar
fullforce
Posts: 353
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 05 Jul 2020

ljekio wrote:
25 Nov 2017
For me Reason 5-7 had almost ideally transport bar with functionality.
This.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
kuhliloach
Posts: 808
Joined: 09 Dec 2015

Post 05 Jul 2020

Imagine a GUI overhauled Subtractor that looks exactly the same as the original, just sharper. And scalable!

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 348
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 05 Jul 2020

stephensmattlee wrote:
25 Nov 2017
This! ...this! ...this!!!

Image

Whoever did this update/render of Subtractor should help Propellerheads do the whole of Reason. Or at least they should do something similar themselves to what this person did.

Would look amazing. Keeps the classic visual style and look but brings it up to the 21st century :)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this looks awesome, amazing, nice, wow!!!
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix GL753VD | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 10 Home x64 | Propellerhead Reason 10 | Reason+ Subscription

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2342
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 05 Jul 2020

Ivan sky wrote:
05 Jul 2020
The incessant need to cosmetically change things is a hallmark of the culture of the cheap and disposable.

Upgrading resolution might be nice, but the fact that reason instruments stay the same in appearance is vital to their brand. Consistency = confidence.

I was a user back at v 2.5, and then jumped back in at v 10. I was deeply relieved to see the old instruments looking and feeling the same. Don't forget, reason's brand has always been about making you feel like you're looking at something physically real. Part of that is keeping it looking the same - like the user who said a Prophet 5 still looks like a Prophet 5 (so does the 6 for that matter!)

When companies start pandering to users urging them to be like everyone else, they loose their identity and typically die. Remember blackberry? It was the only smartphone with a physical keyboard, and that's what people liked about it. Then they thought they could expand their market share by being like everyone else and making indistinct, featureless slab phones. Instant death.

Reason's niche is smaller than other daws, but they need to keep their identity. The addition of the reason rack plugin feature will likely save them. A facelift wouldn't have. They are not "lazy" or "neglectful" about aesthetics. They are consistent, and have demonstrated a preference for substantive upgrades, rather than superficial embroidery.


It's great for us users and musicians that different brands have their own flavors. I have my complaints about certain functional issues with reason, but I love that they have their own distinct flavor. It will never be my only daw (the sequencer is cryptic and hindering to me ) but I always enjoy jumping in for a little reason "session", and now that I can plug it into my other daw, it's very hard to complain. :)
Image
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

Propellerhands
Posts: 28
Joined: 11 Apr 2020

Post 05 Jul 2020

Reason is like forever Windows XP. And I like it.

VariableX
Posts: 524
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 05 Jul 2020

I think Reason have got this right. Most users will be on 1920 x 1080 i think? Lots of laptop users etc. All the people that have gone high-res are maybe a bit salty that it doesn't look so good on their screens and feel it should because they bought the high-res screens for stuff to look better and stuff doesn't in many cases...
Its whats inside the book, not whats on the cover that counts, and Reason will eventually cater for these screens im sure....

Steedus
Posts: 438
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Melbourne, AU

Post 05 Jul 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
05 Jul 2020
I think Reason have got this right. Most users will be on 1920 x 1080 i think? Lots of laptop users etc. All the people that have gone high-res are maybe a bit salty that it doesn't look so good on their screens and feel it should because they bought the high-res screens for stuff to look better and stuff doesn't in many cases...
Its whats inside the book, not whats on the cover that counts, and Reason will eventually cater for these screens im sure....
Nice looking graphics aside, the trouble is on a high res screen, the 'book' as you imagine it, has tiny text and can be fatiguing to read after a few hours. And the alternative is to zoom in artificially, resulting in the text (among other things) becoming blurry and unclear, again resulting in fatigue.

VariableX
Posts: 524
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 05 Jul 2020

Steedus wrote:
05 Jul 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
05 Jul 2020
I think Reason have got this right. Most users will be on 1920 x 1080 i think? Lots of laptop users etc. All the people that have gone high-res are maybe a bit salty that it doesn't look so good on their screens and feel it should because they bought the high-res screens for stuff to look better and stuff doesn't in many cases...
Its whats inside the book, not whats on the cover that counts, and Reason will eventually cater for these screens im sure....
Nice looking graphics aside, the trouble is on a high res screen, the 'book' as you imagine it, has tiny text and can be fatiguing to read after a few hours. And the alternative is to zoom in artificially, resulting in the text (among other things) becoming blurry and unclear, again resulting in fatigue.
no offence but why are people using these screens with Reason then?
I'll upgrade my monitor to a high-res one when the software i mostly use caters for it...

Its like buying a car with a battery and then complaining there are no battery bay stations within your area....

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 571
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 05 Jul 2020

I'm on a 24" 1080 monitor. Reason is very useable but it could be so much better. It's pretty eye straining and fiddly at times.

I'm glad they finally listened to users are are doing a hd upgrade. I wonder if what finally got them moving was a lot of negative feedback from RRP users? Because these concerns look to go back a long time with no acknowledgment until very recently.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: bangaio, CommonCrawl [Bot], integerpoet, Jed, ksniod, Mint and 5 guests