Reason 1.0 vs 10.0 - visual comparison

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
lakinlakin

07 Dec 2017

sdst wrote:
07 Dec 2017
yeah, most users don't care about new visual

see the dark skin

everybody switched
Exactly

stephensmattlee

07 Dec 2017

On the topic of the dark theme, anyone think it might get finished and fully developed at some point? Or is the reason they didn’t complete it (meaning have a dark themed mixer as well) because of potential bigger graphic changes in the pipeline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnochLight

07 Dec 2017

stephensmattlee wrote:
07 Dec 2017
On the topic of the dark theme, anyone think it might get finished and fully developed at some point? Or is the reason they didn’t complete it (meaning have a dark themed mixer as well) because of potential bigger graphic changes in the pipeline?
I remember having a discussion with someone from Props back when themes came out in 9.x. The sequencer graphics are independent of the rack and mixer, which made making the dark theme easy with the sequencer. Doing so in the rack or mixer would require a lot more work/effort, and I'm only guessing that they had to prioritize what was more important: actual core feature improvements or taking the time needed to do the rack and mixer. You also realize that rack devices would not be affected by a dark theme anyway, so... there's that.

I do wish the mixer had a dark theme, though. It's painfully bright to look at sometimes!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Goodbye

07 Dec 2017

I'm only guessing that they had to prioritize what was more important: actual core feature improvements or taking the time needed to do the rack and mixer.
Or doing neither of those things and giving us some romplers.

EdGrip

07 Dec 2017

The rack's already dark, so it's just the mixer. It's a matter of giving the existing mixer graphics to a UI designer and saying "this but dark, please".

EnochLight

07 Dec 2017

Goodbye wrote:
07 Dec 2017
I'm only guessing that they had to prioritize what was more important: actual core feature improvements or taking the time needed to do the rack and mixer.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Themes were added in 9.0. All things considered, 9.0-9.5.x brought some nice core features:

3 new Players
Audio Pitch Editor
Audio to MIDI
1000 new sounds via the Reason 9 soundbank
Added support for Ableton Link
Added support for Rack Extension SDK 2.5. Rack Extensions now support sample loading, hideable widgets and more.
Added Reason Patch Collection - Electromechanical Refill included
Added support for VST 2.4 instrument, effect and utility plug-ins
Added Delay Compensation functionality
Added Export Device Remote Info function to File menu, allowing you to export a text file with Remote-ables for selected device
Improved MIDI drag and drop from VST plug-ins. Dragging MIDI into the Reason sequencer will now place the MIDI on a track and position of your choice.
Improved performance.
Reason now supports hyper threading. There is a new setting for this in the Preferences.
Various bug fixes and improvements, etc

^^ Wouldn't you rather have had all of the above instead of a dark theme in the mixer and rack sides?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stephensmattlee

07 Dec 2017

Haha don’t get me wrong, I do think Propellerheads always introduce great features with every point update (hence why I tend to cave in and buy the update even after telling myself I’ll wait).

I just find it a little strange that they introduced the different themes but didn’t fully develop them later down the line in an update somewhere, even from v9 to v10.

As much as I’d personally prefer the “official” route, just imagine how Reason might look if someone managed to get inside the graphics files of the program and customise them.
Much in the way people have done with Logic Pro and Reaper.

Like I said though I’d definitely prefer a more official route to stop problems occurring when updating and keeping things coherent visually.

Exowildebeest

07 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
07 Dec 2017
Goodbye wrote:
07 Dec 2017

Themes were added in 9.0.
A theme was added ;)

EnochLight

07 Dec 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
07 Dec 2017
EnochLight wrote:
07 Dec 2017

Themes were added in 9.0.
A theme was added ;)
You didn't get 2? I got 2 themes. ;)

Exowildebeest

07 Dec 2017

Blue and gray are basically the same :P

Wake me up when they add a colour wheel so I can pick fuchsia :lol:

EnochLight

07 Dec 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
07 Dec 2017
Wake me up when they add a colour wheel so I can pick fuchsia :lol:
:lol:

Faastwalker

08 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
05 Dec 2017
It's been pointed out before, but worth repeating, that changing to vectors now would require a HUGE amount of time from the Props and from each RE developer as well. The tools aren't in place, for one thing, plus the current assets will not translate to vectors - meaning, re-building every UI pretty much from the ground up. It would therefore be extremely difficult to "not change the look of the old Reason devices" when doing this, from what I understand.

Also worth noting, the current assets for all REs ARE scalable, zoomable up to 4x their current size while remaining at full resolution.

IMO vectors are not the answer - too late for that with Reason. The answer is to implement the resources that are already in place, and who knows when/if that will happen!
How are VST's usually handled? I've just been playing around with Arturia's Buchla Easel VST demo in Reason. You can scale that from something like 60 - 200%! It's fantastic. Would be great if we could do this in Reason. Maybe zoom the whole rack or zoom individual devices to focus. I like the style of Reason's devices. I'm not generally a fan of overly 'skewmorphic' GUI's at all, although the Easel V does look pretty sweet. But Reason's devices by comparison seem very lacking. Small, fuzzy, no resize. Needs an overhaul, although I appreciate that it's not exactly an easy task. Reason devices are going to look like postage stamps on 4K monitors I'd imagine? I don't know or understand how this works. Not read the entire thread so the 4K (or above) thing may have already been discussed. Reason to me looks pretty sweet on my 2K monitor, lest for the graphical issue I mentioned previously.

EnochLight

08 Dec 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
08 Dec 2017
How are VST's usually handled? I've just been playing around with Arturia's Buchla Easel VST demo in Reason. You can scale that from something like 60 - 200%! It's fantastic. Would be great if we could do this in Reason. Maybe zoom the whole rack or zoom individual devices to focus. I like the style of Reason's devices. I'm not generally a fan of overly 'skewmorphic' GUI's at all, although the Easel V does look pretty sweet. But Reason's devices by comparison seem very lacking. Small, fuzzy, no resize. Needs an overhaul, although I appreciate that it's not exactly an easy task. Reason devices are going to look like postage stamps on 4K monitors I'd imagine? I don't know or understand how this works. Not read the entire thread so the 4K (or above) thing may have already been discussed. Reason to me looks pretty sweet on my 2K monitor, lest for the graphical issue I mentioned previously.
VST's are handled a variety of different ways, because - and this bears repeating - they run as separate programs. Some use bitmaps. Some use jpegs. Some use vectors. Some use combinations - it just depends on what approach the dev took.

Again, as Selig said, the assets are in place to scale from 60 - 200% right on up to 4K (at least for RE's). It just needs to be implemented system-wide in Reason. I'm guessing that the native devices (and mixer) are their issue.

Pralijah

08 Dec 2017

I would not be totally surprised if we will get a better resolution and update on the visual side, changing colors etc. But probably it will be in line with say a version for ipads etc. Maybe we will see some preparation updates before that. That is my only take on why nothing changed graphically in the R10 update. Better scaling and zooming, and maybe customize colors more, would be fine for me at this time. Better to work on getting the audio editing and also the sequencer more workflow friendly (moving selected notes up or down one octave with a key-switch instead of dragning or going to the toolbar window, more intuitive velocity adjustments etc).
Make music shake again!

Psuper

08 Dec 2017

I now have Reason 10 in a 40" 4k screen at 100% (normal). It's better, but doesn't need any hi-res graphics I see them all just fine. Does need scaling though, still not near enough room for my tastes, but better than any 1440p and lower.

I'm considering another 4k screen just for the sequencer and other reasons,. However may just go full-blown Reaper too at this point - Reaper looks absolutely amazing in 4k -- so much room all day.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Oquasec

08 Dec 2017

Reaper vs Cubase is a crapshoot, love em both.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

08 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
08 Dec 2017
I now have Reason 10 in a 40" 4k screen at 100% (normal). It's better, but doesn't need any hi-res graphics I see them all just fine. Does need scaling though
It'll need higher res graphics to scale properly, else it will come out fuzzy (assuming scaling were to be properly handled by Reason). Try letting Window scale it to 150% and load up a Reason project's rack to see what I mean.
However may just go full-blown Reaper too at this point - Reaper looks absolutely amazing in 4k -- so much room all day.
Indeed - I used Reaper as my VST host for some time. Thing is, I find it incredibly uninspiring when it comes to actually writing. :(

Psuper

08 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
08 Dec 2017
Psuper wrote:
08 Dec 2017
I now have Reason 10 in a 40" 4k screen at 100% (normal). It's better, but doesn't need any hi-res graphics I see them all just fine. Does need scaling though
It'll need higher res graphics to scale properly, else it will come out fuzzy (assuming scaling were to be properly handled by Reason). Try letting Window scale it to 150% and load up a Reason project's rack to see what I mean.
Oh certainly Enoch, I just mean that default 4k looks great without the need to upscale the graphics - just need a monitor big enough to be used as a 4k workstation. Most 4k monitors assume you'll be watching movies, not working in a desktop environment - and all monitors are too small for that we need a 32"+ minimum with 4-4-4 chroma. I find the 40" native 100% perfect at my viewing distance, everything is crisp and clear, no fading, no crazy head turning.
However may just go full-blown Reaper too at this point - Reaper looks absolutely amazing in 4k -- so much room all day.
EnochLight wrote: Indeed - I used Reaper as my VST host for some time. Thing is, I find it incredibly uninspiring when it comes to actually writing. :(
Totally agree, Reason makes you want to tinker - best part about the program. Now if Propellerhead can get busy with the other parts - we'll be in business!
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Nirude

19 Jan 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
25 Nov 2017
stephensmattlee wrote:
25 Nov 2017
This! ...this! ...this!!!

Whoever did this update/render of Subtractor should help Propellerheads do the whole of Reason. Or at least they should do something similar themselves to what this person did.

Would look amazing. Keeps the classic visual style and look but brings it up to the 21st century :)

While we're here, credit to Mikko Niiranen, a.k.a. Nirude, who did this 3D render a few years ago. He also did a beautiful render of Europa recently, but it's on a protected forum so I'm not sure I can post it here. Nirude, if you're around, can you share it?
Nirude here :D
OMG that Subtractor looks so bad to my eyes now.
I was on a diet that time and as I was not drinking I was thinking what I could do in that time. So I combined Reason and my daytimework.
Also, what started as a humble request HAS turned into a worldwide I´LL-DO-IF-I-HAVE-THE-TIME-work :D I remember posting "Will work for Antidote"-post on the original PUF-forum.
Customers now range from the USA to England, Sweden, Indonesia, Australia (sorry I might not remember all). This week I have send images to the US and also Sweden so watch out for them.
Where there is good, there is also bad. My wife doesn't speak Finnish but she has a company here so I take care of that too, we also have two small kids so I am way too busy with everything.
Last winter my son was sooooo sick, I almost couldn't take it anymore. I also have a daytime job which takes 8-12h of my day :(
Sucks to be me.

My Instagram with a few RE-Renders: https://www.instagram.com/mniiranen/
Best way to contact me is from facebook https://www.facebook.com/mikko.niiranen.90 or niiranen@gmail.com.

EDIT: I use the Dark theme too.
3d man.

sdst
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
08 Dec 2017
I used Reaper as my VST host for some time. Thing is, I find it incredibly uninspiring when it comes to actually writing. :(
maybe it looks uninspiring at first, but when you start to put everything you want

you can literally create a DAW with Reaper, can customizer everything, change and put icons

I understand why many like it so much

FlowerSoldier

19 Jan 2018

Yikes Nirude.
That Europa render is sexy af! Amazing work.
I would have quoted you but I suck at it.

EnochLight

19 Jan 2018

sdst wrote:
19 Jan 2018
EnochLight wrote:
08 Dec 2017
I used Reaper as my VST host for some time. Thing is, I find it incredibly uninspiring when it comes to actually writing. :(
maybe it looks uninspiring at first, but when you start to put everything you want

you can literally create a DAW with Reaper, can customizer everything, change and put icons

I understand why many like it so much
Oh I'm sure it works for plenty of people - it's hugely popular. I ran several skins when I used it and customized it beyond belief. But compared to Reason, I find it about as inspiring as IBS. :lol:

Namyo85

20 Jan 2018

Brief comment about Reason's transport bar: I preferred the original to the new one. I wish there was an option to switch between them.

EnochLight

20 Jan 2018

I prefer the current one, if anything because I'm sort of over the skeuomorphism that plagued all other versions of the transport prior (which is ironic, since Reason's rack philosophy is pretty much the pinnacle of skeuomorphism)! :lol:

Nirude

20 Jan 2018

Here.
One thing which I want to say, after I sent those first Subtractor-images, I have learnt a lot.
As I did these Europa-images, I had some weird mental-thing going on, I just didnt accept using ready 3d-models so I did everything from the scratch.

Anyway, I think I will do TWO more :re: - (unit) renders and then I am done.
I just feel that I "will retire".
Attachments
eu2.jpg
eu2.jpg (489.53 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
Huone01.jpg
Huone01.jpg (398.8 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
Freq n reso.jpg
Freq n reso.jpg (203.05 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
3d man.

• Information