Reason 10 upgrade . are my specs ok?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samp

23 Nov 2017

Greetings all . so the sale on the 10 upgrade is too good to pass up. Before i go for it can anyone tell me if my imac specs are ok. this is all i have and cannot upgrade for awhile.
imac 2009
core 2 duo 3.06ghz
16gb ram

currently 9.5 is the most sluggish performance i have ever had with reason. Is 10 gonna be any better? thanks all.

samp

23 Nov 2017

also jist to clarify when i say sluggish i mean alot of beachball spinning when loading patches and moving around the rack. Never felt it this much before 9.5.

Exowildebeest

23 Nov 2017

No, your specs kind of suck, and Reason 10 does not perform better. Sorry :(

samp

23 Nov 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
23 Nov 2017
No, your specs kind of suck, and Reason 10 does not perform better. Sorry :(
thanks. i kinda thought so.

Oquasec

24 Nov 2017

for reason 6 and below you need at least a pentium 4.
for reason 7 and above [since reason doesn't use the gpu highres vsts need a good cpu] so no less than an i3 or athlon with 4 cores.

If using an atom tablet just set the resolution to 720p.
Last edited by Oquasec on 24 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Gorgon

24 Nov 2017

Oquasec wrote:
24 Nov 2017
for reason 6 and below you need at least a pentium 4.
for reason 7 and above [since reason doesn't use the gpu highres vsts need a good cpu] so no less than an i3 or athlon with 4 cores.
Nice going! Answering questions that nobody asked. Again.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

SoulState

24 Nov 2017

samp wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Greetings all . so the sale on the 10 upgrade is too good to pass up. Before i go for it can anyone tell me if my imac specs are ok. this is all i have and cannot upgrade for awhile.
imac 2009
core 2 duo 3.06ghz
16gb ram

currently 9.5 is the most sluggish performance i have ever had with reason. Is 10 gonna be any better? thanks all.

Hi Samp
My Comp Specs are:

Mid 2011 iMac 27"
Intel Core i7
3.4Ghz
32gb Ram

And it's flying...no spinning beach balls - no problem handling Kontakt VST.
Did my own wee stress-test...150 Thors + 50 Pulverisers. I'm happy with that.
Buffer size 128
Bought the thing a couple weeks - 2011 model - so suppose that could be considered "old".

Before that I was running something similar to yours:

2007 iMac 24"
Intel core 2 duo
2.4Ghz
4gb Ram
...and that was fine up until about year ago, then things started getting slow. But it wasn't just Reason that was slow EVERTHING was.
Boot-up took about 3mins - thats if it started first time - used to get "FOLDER with Question mark icon" when Booting-up most of the time, so would have to try and Boot several times before it would actually start.

Anyway [point being] it was a very sick computer, So Reason under performing was probably more to do with my sick Mac and pitiful RAM spec.

Is it just :reason: Reason that's SLUGGISH on your Mac mate?
Last edited by SoulState on 24 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

samp

24 Nov 2017

SoulState wrote:
24 Nov 2017
samp wrote:
23 Nov 2017
imac 2009
core 2 duo 3.06ghz
16gb ram

Hi Samp
My Comp Specs are:

Mid 2011 iMac 27"
Intel Core i7
3.4Ghz
32gb Ram

And it's flying...no spinning beach balls - no problem handling VST Kontakt installed.
Did my own wee stress-test...150 Thors + 50 Pulverisers. I'm happy with that.
Buffer size 128
Bought the thing a couple weeks - 2011 model - so suppose that could be considered "old".

Before that I was running something similar:

2007 iMac 24"
Intel core 2 duo
2.4Ghz
4gb Ram
...and that was fine up until about year ago, then things started getting slow. But it wasn't just Reason that was slow EVERTHING was.
Boot-up took about 3mins - thats if it started first time - used to get "FOLDER with Question mark icon" when Booting-up most of the time, so would have to try and Boot-up several times before it would actually start.

Anyway [point being] it was a very sick computer, So Reason under performing was probably more to do with my sick iMac and pitiful RAM spec.

Is it just :reason: Reason that's SLUGGISH on your Mac mate?
Thank u all for the responses so far. Its not only reason but reason 9.5 gives me so many beachballs that i get frustrated and dont want to even use it sometimes. This never happened prior to 9. but i know its time for a new imac for sure.

• Information