I'll Join the Reason 10 Too Slow Mob lol!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

21 Nov 2017

Hi All!

I know my comp isn't very fast but one instance of Redum playing a beat, 1 12 device Combi, Klang (open but not doing anything) and an instance of The Legend and Computer Too Slow To Play Song message with 1 8 bar loop going. Never had issues like this before Reason 10 unless I had like 10 tracks or more going on the same comp.

I have an AMD Athlon 2.81ghz Dual Core 5600+ processor, 5gb RAM.

Also just noticed in Reason 10 demo, no Delay Compensation Button on the Transport. Thought it was on the far right?

Thanks!
Last edited by Creativemind on 24 Nov 2017, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

demt

21 Nov 2017

theres a mental civil war on try cursing the oppo ,serious
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

ejanuska

21 Nov 2017

demt wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Who is the oppo?

AttenuationHz

21 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Hi All!

I know my comp isn't very fast but one instance of Redum playing a beat, 1 12 device Combi, Klanf (open but not doing anything) and an instance of The Legend and Computer Too Slow To Play Song message with 1 8 bar loop going. Never had issues like this before Reason 10 unless I had like 10 tracks or more going on the same comp.

Also just noticed in Reason 10 demo, no Delay Compensation Button on the Transport. Thought it was on the far right?

Thanks!
Dual core? I think I see where the problem is...
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

sublunar

21 Nov 2017

The AMD 5600+ came out 10 years ago... That's the CPU I built my XP machine around. Ten years ago. I just retired that machine about a year ago.

You could possibly upgrade your CPU if you know anything about computers and your motherboard supports it. I actually swapped my 5600+ CPU out for a 4 Core CPU I got off ebay for like 20 bucks. The old comp is still kicking. Have to check your motherboard for compatibility though. Don't recall the exact model I got. Ended up building a new machine anyway.

Also 5GB is a weird number for memory. Either you have mismatched memory or you must've mistyped. If you have mismatched memory, that'll cause issues 9 times out of 10.

AttenuationHz

21 Nov 2017

Yeah pc part picker is a great tool! Just input your Mobo and anything after is compatible!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Creativemind

22 Nov 2017

sublunar wrote:
21 Nov 2017
The AMD 5600+ came out 10 years ago... That's the CPU I built my XP machine around. Ten years ago. I just retired that machine about a year ago.

You could possibly upgrade your CPU if you know anything about computers and your motherboard supports it. I actually swapped my 5600+ CPU out for a 4 Core CPU I got off ebay for like 20 bucks. The old comp is still kicking. Have to check your motherboard for compatibility though. Don't recall the exact model I got. Ended up building a new machine anyway.

Also 5GB is a weird number for memory. Either you have mismatched memory or you must've mistyped. If you have mismatched memory, that'll cause issues 9 times out of 10.
Yes I did buy the computer 10 years ago and I do definitely need to upgrade my comp, that's a given but just to reiterate....I never had problems before 10. 4 devices? Klang, Combi, Redrum and The Legend. Same computer on Reason 8.3 and could have 5 combinators and another half a dozen devices before the Computer Too Slow To Play Song would appear. I hardly ever have projects over 10 tracks so to be honest, I rarely ever saw that message before 10 on the same comp.

Could do with at least 8gb RAM and Quad core.

SA Studio

22 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
22 Nov 2017
sublunar wrote:
21 Nov 2017

Yes I did buy the computer 10 years ago and I do definitely need to upgrade my comp, that's a given but just to reiterate....I never had problems before 10. 4 devices? Klang, Combi, Redrum and The Legend. Same computer on Reason 8.3 and could have 5 combinators and another half a dozen devices before the Computer Too Slow To Play Song would appear. I hardly ever have projects over 10 tracks so to be honest, I rarely ever saw that message before 10 on the same comp.

The dire lack of optimization in between versions is staggering to me. We should be expecting claims of higher track counts and better DSP processing as part of the "upgrade" and from version to version to version....never once has "Higher track counts and much improved efficiency" ever been touted as a feature point in a new release.

Never once has optimization been a feature point.

Not once.

The time has come. :essentials:

(But yeah, you need a new comp too ;) )

normen

22 Nov 2017

ejanuska wrote:
21 Nov 2017
demt wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Who is the oppo?
I guess he means that we're kind of being mentally conditioned to think in opposites and factions. "Its their fault" kind of thinking in all walks of life and I do have to agree somewhat. Men against women, christian against musilm, apple against google, democrats against republicans. And you're asked to take sides each time. So positions become deeply entrenched and people argue irrationally and emotionally charged.

Theres two things that work in synergy with that
a) Its the easiest position, the truth is most of the time much too convoluted to have an "easy" solution or even be understood by most individuals
b) People like to comment negatively on things because it makes them sound smarter - so they also like to adopt negative opinions better

But it can also be that I totally over-interpret demts comment - they range from utter nonsense to borderline enlightened, so... :)

EnochLight

22 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
22 Nov 2017
Yes I did buy the computer 10 years ago and I do definitely need to upgrade my comp, that's a given but just to reiterate....I never had problems before 10.
Well, consider yourself extremely.. EXTREMELY fortunate! Your CPU may be almost 10 years old, but it scores an order of magnitude lower than even my 5 year old chip. To be frank, it's a miracle you were even able to run Reason 6, 7, 8, or 9, IMHO!

ummmmm.jpg
ummmmm.jpg (61.46 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

22 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Hi All!

I know my comp isn't very fast but one instance of Redum playing a beat, 1 12 device Combi, Klang (open but not doing anything) and an instance of The Legend and Computer Too Slow To Play Song message with 1 8 bar loop going. Never had issues like this before Reason 10 unless I had like 10 tracks or more going on the same comp.

Thanks!
There shouldn't be any difference between Reason 9 and Reason 10 if you're using the same settings and devices. Make sure you're running the same settings as you did before: sample rate, buffer size, turn off hyper threading and so on.

If you experience differences between the performance of Reason 9 and Reason 10 using the exact same set-up, please e-mail us. That's not supposed to be the case and we haven't seen any examples of it either where the settings were the same. :)

EdGrip

22 Nov 2017

Legend is hungry. Not as hungry as some others, but it's still significant.

jwd606

22 Nov 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Nov 2017

There shouldn't be any difference between Reason 9 and Reason 10 if you're using the same settings and devices. Make sure you're running the same settings as you did before: sample rate, buffer size, turn off hyper threading and so on.

If you experience differences between the performance of Reason 9 and Reason 10 using the exact same set-up, please e-mail us. That's not supposed to be the case and we haven't seen any examples of it either where the settings were the same. :)

Do you mean "There shouldn't be any difference between Reason 9 and Reason 10" or "There shouldn't be any difference between Reason 9.5 and Reason 10"?

On My Macbook running the same demo songs, and the same settings, there is a notable difference between Reason 9 and Reason 10.

Re8et
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2017

Just updated my lappy to R10 too, will see if theres difference btw 9 and 10 on critical CPU intense songs be4 uninstalling 9v. Running on Sandy bridge 3217U at 2400 mark its pretty close, one instance of vk2 or Legend can fry it instantly, mono is the only way to run these monsters on tiny cores.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

22 Nov 2017

jwd606 wrote:
22 Nov 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
22 Nov 2017

Do you mean "There shouldn't be any difference between Reason 9 and Reason 10" or "There shouldn't be any difference between Reason 9.5 and Reason 10"?

On My Macbook running the same demo songs, and the same settings, there is a notable difference between Reason 9 and Reason 10.
I meant 9.5! Though honestly there shouldn't be a big difference between 9 and 10 either so could you let me know your system specs, settings and which demo song you're playing? Also do make sure that you've truly matched the settings that are easy to miss: same buffer size, sample rate, open in low-res setting, hyper threading off, multi-core on, same applications in the background, same audio interface used. :)

jwd606

22 Nov 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Nov 2017
jwd606 wrote:
22 Nov 2017

I meant 9.5! Though honestly there shouldn't be a big difference between 9 and 10 either so could you let me know your system specs, settings and which demo song you're playing? Also do make sure that you've truly matched the settings that are easy to miss: same buffer size, sample rate, open in low-res setting, hyper threading off, multi-core on, same applications in the background, same audio interface used. :)
On my old 2.53 core 2 Duo Macbook with 8gb ram with El Capitan OS, same settings, buffer size etc, running the Street Phone demo song I get Reason 9 using up to 84% of CPU (according to Activity Monitor), whilst Reason 10 uses up to 114%.

AttenuationHz

22 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
22 Nov 2017
sublunar wrote:
21 Nov 2017

What Motherboard did you say you have?

Have you ever run cleaning tools such as CCleaner? I find it a must even on my quad core and on an old Vista pc it gathered about 6gb of garbage from years of use. Might be worth looking into that sort of thing.

ionly

22 Nov 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Nov 2017
turn off hyper threading
Hi Mattias,
Off in Reason's preferences, or in a computer's BIOS?

Thanks

AttenuationHz

22 Nov 2017

ionly wrote:
22 Nov 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
22 Nov 2017
turn off hyper threading
Hi Mattias,
Off in Reason's preferences, or in a computer's BIOS?

Thanks
:eh:
Reason Preferences! if its off in the BIOS how can it be on in Reason?

demt

22 Nov 2017

the oppo in this case is anywon that doesnt use reason or agree that reason is the best as we all are a bit diffrent and we should look for any excuse other than the sacred propellerhead
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Creativemind

24 Nov 2017

sublunar wrote:
21 Nov 2017
What happened is I upgraded the RAM in my computer 3 years ago, so I replaced (I think 2 1gb RAMS) with 2 2gb RAMS and then thought I'd try putting the other 1gb RAMS I had from the other slots in the other 2 remaining empty slots but it didn't work. Didn't show up as 6gb RAM. I took one out and it did show up as 5gb RAM, so I left it at that. Yes, an unusual number. I could do with 2 4gb RAMS to replace the 2 2gb ones then maybe 1 2gb might work in one of the other slots and I'd have another unusual number, 10gb RAM haha! maybe both the 2gb RAMS would work and I could have 12gb RAM. Man I'm confused lol!

Creativemind

24 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2017
Creativemind wrote:
22 Nov 2017
Yes I did buy the computer 10 years ago and I do definitely need to upgrade my comp, that's a given but just to reiterate....I never had problems before 10.
Well, consider yourself extremely.. EXTREMELY fortunate! Your CPU may be almost 10 years old, but it scores an order of magnitude lower than even my 5 year old chip. To be frank, it's a miracle you were even able to run Reason 6, 7, 8, or 9, IMHO!

ummmmm.jpg
It's not nearly 10 years old, it's over 10 years old. I'm looking to buy a mac when I the dough. As for specs, you only need 4gb RAM to run Reason.

Gorgon

24 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
24 Nov 2017
It's not nearly 10 years old, it's over 10 years old. I'm looking to buy a mac when I the dough. As for specs, you only need 4gb RAM to run Reason.
Yeah, as BARE MINIMUM. NOT counting RE's. Man. The things that you come up with, being surprised that a modern DAW doesn't work flawlessly on a freaking Athlon from 10 years old.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

24 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
24 Nov 2017
What happened is I upgraded the RAM in my computer 3 years ago, so I replaced (I think 2 1gb RAMS) with 2 2gb RAMS and then thought I'd try putting the other 1gb RAMS I had from the other slots in the other 2 remaining empty slots but it didn't work. Didn't show up as 6gb RAM. I took one out and it did show up as 5gb RAM, so I left it at that. Yes, an unusual number.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

AttenuationHz

24 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
24 Nov 2017
sublunar wrote:
21 Nov 2017
What happened is I upgraded the RAM in my computer 3 years ago, so I replaced (I think 2 1gb RAMS) with 2 2gb RAMS and then thought I'd try putting the other 1gb RAMS I had from the other slots in the other 2 remaining empty slots but it didn't work. Didn't show up as 6gb RAM. I took one out and it did show up as 5gb RAM, so I left it at that. Yes, an unusual number. I could do with 2 4gb RAMS to replace the 2 2gb ones then maybe 1 2gb might work in one of the other slots and I'd have another unusual number, 10gb RAM haha! maybe both the 2gb RAMS would work and I could have 12gb RAM. Man I'm confused lol!
Depends on a number of things buying Ram. Your mobo has to be able to support it, If you originally had dual slot ram you would have to buy dual slot if you where replacing it you could not get two single slots as the mobo was initialised for 2 slot or single slot. Also if it is not 64bit OS windows will only recognise and registered up to 3.5Gb-4gb of Ram. I'm guessing you have 64bit as seen as after Reason 8 only supports 64bit.

The first series of slots are for dual ram usually blue then the black ones are for single slotted ram if it didn't show as 6gb that is why because the configured dual slot ram was in single slots.

Boils down to your motherboard though what is your full specs if you don't mind me asking? That pc part picker will show all compatible components only! You would get a decent processor for cheap I think!

• Information