How to use aux bus as a send?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bhuether

20 Nov 2017

I am following a tutorial for a class I am taking on using an aux bus that has inserts, as a send for a track. Not sure if this is a sensible way, but I am trying to follow the tutorial.

The tutorial has an aux bus that has inserts stacked such as compressor, eq. Then there is a snare track. The tutorial has us using the send level for the snare track to control the amount of those aux inserts that are applied.

I see no way for me to set this up in Reason, though I know it is possible. In Reason I see the send effects section but it just has you choose effects, and I can't assign an aux bus as the send.

Ideas?

I am using Reason 9.

thanks!

Brian

Loque

20 Nov 2017

I dont think you can use a mix channel (your aux channel) directly as a "send" fx. But what you want to achieve is pretty simple.

Create a send fx and put it into a Combinator. Than you can add as much FX into this Combinator as you like, also additional mixers with send fx. It is not necessary to use a Combinator, but it makes life easier, otherwise you may need to route some things manually.

For a special on top, route this send fx to its own mix channel, and you can apply additional send fx to it and also create feedback loops (routed/send to itself). But be careful if you use feedback loops, because they can create endless and high gain harsh sounds, if not used with care - so keep a limiter in it.
Reason12, Win10

normen

20 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
20 Nov 2017
I dont think you can use a mix channel (your aux channel) directly as a "send" fx.
Yeah you can, just connect the aux send output of the master section to the input of the mix channel.

Loque

20 Nov 2017

normen wrote:
20 Nov 2017
Loque wrote:
20 Nov 2017
I dont think you can use a mix channel (your aux channel) directly as a "send" fx.
Yeah you can, just connect the aux send output of the master section to the input of the mix channel.
I quote myself:
Loque wrote:
20 Nov 2017
...For a special on top, route this send fx to its own mix channel...
But this was not the main question from the OP, AFAIK.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

20 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
20 Nov 2017
normen wrote:
20 Nov 2017

I quote myself:
Loque wrote:
20 Nov 2017
...For a special on top, route this send fx to its own mix channel...
But this was not the main question from the OP, AFAIK.
I think it WAS the main question, but the wording wasn't 100% clear. Reading the OP I see mention of having FX 'stacked up on the insert" of the Aux Bus (meaning "Aux Channel", or in Reason Speak: "Mix Channel".

They mention the tutorial using the "Send level … to control the amount of those aux inserts that are applied".

So reading between the lines, you both answered the question, Normen just "cut to the chase". ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EdGrip

21 Nov 2017

Another +1 for giving send effects their own proper mix channels. So handy for a variety of reasons.

selig
RE Developer

22 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:Another +1 for giving send effects their own proper mix channels. So handy for a variety of reasons.
And as I mentioned in another thread recently, there are (at least) two things to look out for. One is that there is no way to hear the FX returns when you solo a channel without having to ALSO solo the returns. The other is that unlike using the built in returns, there is a 64 sample delay so you will have latency issues with any effect that is not delay based - reverbs/delays will sound fine/normal.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information