Getting rack configuration transfered from newer to older Reason version?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
househoppin09

16 Nov 2017

I'm running R10 and R7 side by side, and there will be times when I want to test the R10 song I'm working on in R7. Meaning, really test it, with all of the same devices in place. (Assume the song isn't using any post-R7 devices, of course.) Off the top of my head, the only way I can think of to do this is to save/export any and all device patches and MIDI tracks (easy enough) and then painstakingly recreate the entire rack configuration and wiring from scratch in R7 (nightmarishly labor-intensive). Is there really no easier way to perform the latter task that I'm overlooking? Surely there's GOT to be a way to get a rack/wiring configuration copied and pasted or saved or exported or transferred to another instance of Reason SOMEHOW? Perhaps a hex-editing hack where the relevant parts of the song file can be copied over? Anyone? Straight copying-and-pasting the rack devices between copies of Reason doesn't seem to work, though I suppose I could be messing it up somehow...

Loque

16 Nov 2017

Do your work in R7 instead of R10 if this procedure is a edge case for you.

Never tried, but maybe copy&paste really works?

If you re willing to fiddly in binary files, you can try a comparison of some simple files in a hex editor and see, if you can make it work. Maybe its just a version number - who knows?
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

16 Nov 2017

Out of curiosity what are you testing and why?

AttenuationHz

16 Nov 2017

househoppin09 wrote:
16 Nov 2017
I'm running R10 and R7 side by side, and there will be times when I want to test the R10 song I'm working on in R7. Meaning, really test it, with all of the same devices in place. (Assume the song isn't using any post-R7 devices, of course.) Off the top of my head, the only way I can think of to do this is to save/export any and all device patches and MIDI tracks (easy enough) and then painstakingly recreate the entire rack configuration and wiring from scratch in R7 (nightmarishly labor-intensive). Is there really no easier way to perform the latter task that I'm overlooking? Surely there's GOT to be a way to get a rack/wiring configuration copied and pasted or saved or exported or transferred to another instance of Reason SOMEHOW? Perhaps a hex-editing hack where the relevant parts of the song file can be copied over? Anyone? Straight copying-and-pasting the rack devices between copies of Reason doesn't seem to work, though I suppose I could be messing it up somehow...
Move all the devices into the mix channels they are connected to and save the mix channel patch! Copy all midi data to the sequencer and export the midi data.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

househoppin09

16 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
16 Nov 2017
Move all the devices into the mix channels they are connected to and save the mix channel patch! Copy all midi data to the sequencer and export the midi data.
See, I KNEW there was something pathetically obvious I was overlooking... :lol:

That's actually perfect, problem solved. What a relief.

scratchnsnifff

17 Nov 2017

When you save combinator patches the cv connections save :) also a helpful hint is that combinator effect patches are the same format as the mix channel settings. It always made me wonder if the mix channel was intended as a response to be the combinator 2. Perhaps they intended people to put instruments in the combinator and have synth parameters mapped to the 4knobs and the insert effect area for all effects and such
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

selig
RE Developer

17 Nov 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
17 Nov 2017
When you save combinator patches the cv connections save :) also a helpful hint is that combinator effect patches are the same format as the mix channel settings. It always made me wonder if the mix channel was intended as a response to be the combinator 2. Perhaps they intended people to put instruments in the combinator and have synth parameters mapped to the 4knobs and the insert effect area for all effects and such
I think there may be some confusion on one point - there is no "Mix Channel Patch". Saving the channel "insert" is simply another way to load/save Combinator patches. If you save it there, you ONLY save what's in the insert, and not any of the other channel setting such as EQ, Dynamics, Sends, Fader/Pan, etc. Look at the file being saved: it's a .cmb format, which is a Combinator patch.

I still think it's a good organizational approach to put your instruments etc. in the insert section in some cases, even wrote a post on it years ago. There are some things to remember when doing so: first, be sure to route it to the INPUTs and not to the To/From jacks. If you DO use the "From" jacks for some reason (though there's no advantage I can think of for doing it this way), you will need to make sure the Inserts are FIRST in the routing matrix - but you'll loose the use of the Input Gain and Polarity switch.

One advantage to doing this is that in the Rack View, you can compress the space used (when folding all devices) by half, and you have one handy "expand" button that works for both the Mix Channel and all Devices contained within.
Selig Audio, LLC

househoppin09

18 Nov 2017

Great tip, selig, I'll have to consider that. :thumbs_up:

scratchnsnifff

19 Nov 2017

selig wrote:
17 Nov 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
17 Nov 2017
I think there may be some confusion on one point - there is no "Mix Channel Patch". Saving the channel "insert" is simply another way to load/save Combinator patches. If you save it there, you ONLY save what's in the insert, and not any of the other channel setting such as EQ, Dynamics, Sends, Fader/Pan, etc. Look at the file being saved: it's a .cmb format, which is a Combinator patch.

I still think it's a good organizational approach to put your instruments etc. in the insert section in some cases, even wrote a post on it years ago. There are some things to remember when doing so: first, be sure to route it to the INPUTs and not to the To/From jacks. If you DO use the "From" jacks for some reason (though there's no advantage I can think of for doing it this way), you will need to make sure the Inserts are FIRST in the routing matrix - but you'll loose the use of the Input Gain and Polarity switch.

One advantage to doing this is that in the Rack View, you can compress the space used (when folding all devices) by half, and you have one handy "expand" button that works for both the Mix Channel and all Devices contained within.
I never knew of this :D great tip thanks, Iv always only routed to the to and from parts il have to try that out
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information