I want to upgrade to Reason 9

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jwd606

11 Nov 2017

I want to upgrade to Reason 9, don't need VSTs, and can collaborate with a 9 user.

If I upgrade to 10 will it give me licence to use 9?

I do have a 9.dmg.

FlowerSoldier

11 Nov 2017

Nope.
I might be wrong though. I'm making this up as I type.
Ask Props if you can buy Ver. 9.

moneykube

11 Nov 2017

you can open 9 inside 10... but can not save your work as a 9 ... so... you can still collaborate... but will have to bounce the tracks to share back to the person using 9... they can import the tracks and then work... send a .reason file and the process continues
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

jwd606

11 Nov 2017

moneykube wrote:
11 Nov 2017
you can open 9 inside 10... but can not save your work as a 9 ... so... you can still collaborate... but will have to bounce the tracks to share back to the person using 9... they can import the tracks and then work... send a .reason file and the process continues
It not ideal though. I just want to be able to open and save in 9.

moneykube

11 Nov 2017

ok... agreed... I know at one time protools allowed one to save as past versions... it would be an awesome update to reason... and would have saved me much money in the upgrade chase

sot

11 Nov 2017

you can install 9 and work there, save your project, i think it works if you have 10
:reason: 10

moneykube

11 Nov 2017

jwd606 wrote:
11 Nov 2017
I want to upgrade to Reason 9, don't need VSTs, and can collaborate with a 9 user.

I do have a 9.dmg.
oh... if you have a legit 9 install ... then yes you can of course use 9... just not 9 and 10 opened at same time will cause problems with opening two many reasons... make sure 9 is quit before booting 10

swamptooth

11 Nov 2017

I think you can. An upgraded to a new version will let you download previous versions IIRC. Reason 9 downloads are here: https://www.propellerheads.se/download/reason9/

moneykube

11 Nov 2017

househoppin09

12 Nov 2017

Are you all sure about that? I've never tried it myself but seem to remember people saying that Reason licenses do NOT authorize you to use any version other than the particular one specified on your license. Can anyone confirm either way, without guesswork? Would be good to establish the answer to this once and for all.

adrian-singleton

12 Nov 2017

I bought Reason 8 ca. 2 years ago for my DAW. Then I planned to use and older Reason version (6.5 I think) for my old XP-system in our rehearsal room just for recording. I asked the props and the answer was no. It's not possible to run any version of Reason that don't - or you haven't previously - owned a licence for.

But somebody stated here in this forum (can't remember when and where) that you can use older versions if you have you licence on an ignition key, but I never tried this out.
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis [1998]

EnochLight

12 Nov 2017

jwd606 wrote:
11 Nov 2017

I do have a 9.dmg.
There's a bit of misinformation in this thread. To be clear, whatever version of Reason you own right now - you keep. So if you have 5 or 6, and buy an upgrade to 10, then you will own and have access to 5 or 6, and 10. You will not get 9.

If your desire is to just have 9, then I would buy an upgrade to 9 through a third party vendor. Buying an upgrade to 10 just gets you 10. Full stop.

You say you have a "a 9.dmg". Do you own a license for it? If not, it's useless.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

AttenuationHz

12 Nov 2017

You don't have to use VST's at all if you don't want to... Just upgrade to 10 and use it the way you would if it was 9. You'll get the latest version and future point versions that will undoubtedly fix bugs. If you just don't want VST's then why would you not upgrade to 10. Nobody is forcing you to use VST's you can choose not to use them.
In fact you can just delete where reason looks for VST in preferences if you have VST's installed and it won't search for them when it starts!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

moneykube

12 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
12 Nov 2017
You don't have to use VST's at all if you don't want to... Just upgrade to 10 and use it the way you would if it was 9. You'll get the latest version and future point versions that will undoubtedly fix bugs. If you just don't want VST's then why would you not upgrade to 10. Nobody is forcing you to use VST's you can choose not to use them.
In fact you can just delete where reason looks for VST in preferences if you have VST's installed and it won't search for them when it starts!
^^^^ this

jwd606

12 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
12 Nov 2017
But I want to exchange 9 files with someone who has 9. And when I've run the demos of 9 and 10 on my not particularly new Macbook, 9 uses noticeably less CPU% and energy.

I've sent a message to Propellerheads, but haven't heard back yet.

EnochLight

12 Nov 2017

jwd606 wrote:
12 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
12 Nov 2017
But I want to exchange 9 files with someone who has 9. And when I've run the demos of 9 and 10 on my not particularly new Macbook, 9 uses noticeably less CPU% and energy.

I've sent a message to Propellerheads, but haven't heard back yet.
You don't have to wait for them to get back with you. Read my post above and make an informed decision. Otherwise, here's the 9.x upgrade through a third party vendor:

https://www.amazon.com/Propellerhead-10 ... +9+upgrade
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

12 Nov 2017

If you are collaborating with someone who has R9 and you have R10, you yourself could begin the process by writing a song with R9 demo. With the demo, you can still save (just can't open). You won't have access to your REs, but you can use all the Reason stock devices and any VSTs. Then your collaborator could still open it with R9. Then when it comes back to you, you could open it in R10 and add to it what you want. And then if it needs to go back to your collaborator, you would then be bouncing tracks or MIDI files at that point.

That gives you a few steps of collaborating before you have to start bouncing. IMO, the better answer would be that you both upgrade to R10 and then stay on the same upgrade schedule if it's important. Is there any chance your collaborator would upgrade to 10 after you have upgraded to 9?

Oquasec

12 Nov 2017

It should. on Reason 10 myself :]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jwd606

15 Dec 2017

If it is useful for anybody...

I bought an upgrade to Reason 9, which I intend to use, but I also got an automatic upgrade to Reason 10 as well. Which is cool, as I'm slightly future-proofed if I do get a new computer, or wish to use VSTs.
Last edited by jwd606 on 15 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Oquasec

15 Dec 2017

If you have Reason 10 does that mean you can use Radical piano and synchronous on reason 9? cuz those are rack extensions so how does that work?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

ilikestargazing
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2017

Currently using both 8, 9.5 and 10 demo. Can confirm you can have them all installed and work perfectly.
However you can only run one at a time, and I did purchase each individual upgrade.

I don't have the fully licensed version of 10 so I don't know if that makes a difference, but with my demo install, Radical and Synchronous do NOT appear in 9.5.

jwd606

15 Dec 2017

Oquasec wrote:
15 Dec 2017
If you have Reason 10 does that mean you can use Radical piano and synchronous on reason 9? cuz those are rack extensions so how does that work?
No. I guess they're now treated as part of the built-in effects and instruments.

• Information