Equivocate Match EQ

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Palmeira

10 Nov 2017

Been playing around with Equivocate and in particular the Match EQ function and have to say I got some quite impressive results. If you got this when it was free and have cause to use the match EQ function it's not that intuitive and it took a bit to get my head round how to set it up so a couple of tips might be handy........

1: If you watched any of the videos online they seem to be focused on other DAW's and taking the track you want to match into the sidechain input of the track you have Equivocate on. Don't do this in Reason's Dynamics Sidechain Input. It's for Dynamics not EQ purposes.

2: Instead turn the rack round and click the CV processor button on the back of Equiviocate to display the extra inputs and outputs. Next patch the parallel pre-out (or you could just take the direct out) from the track you want to match into the Optional Audio In 3 & 4 on the back of Equivocate.

3: The source track can't be muted for the match EQ to work. If you take the Parallel Pre Out option then obviously you're going to hear both tracks which may not be pretty but damn. It works.

Cheers

Aiden

EdGrip

10 Nov 2017

I imagine poor old KiloHearts were a bit gutted that this turned up for free just as they were getting their Carve EQ ready.

EnochLight

10 Nov 2017

This thread should be moved to the Tutorials and Techniques forum (or VST Plugin Forum).
EdGrip wrote:
10 Nov 2017
I imagine poor old KiloHearts were a bit gutted that this turned up for free just as they were getting their Carve EQ ready.
Equivocate is pretty much the only reason I'm not looking at Kilhearts Carve EQ. I prefer Carve's GUI/UX, though I can't tell if it can be dragged-to-resize or not. Nothing is in the manual about that. I was almost ready to pickup Fab Filter's EQ, but Equivocate was free for me.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

NekujaK

10 Nov 2017

Along these same lines, IK Multimedia just released T-Racks 5, which includes Master Match, an impressive new EQ matching module:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trmastermatch/

The nice thing about Master Match is you simply drag the reference audio file into the plugin. No need to mess with sidechains, and you can have 3 different reference tracks. I like Equivocate too, and use it quite a bit, but Master Match is more "refined", for lack of a better word.

Tracks-5 also includes three other new modules: Dyna-Mu compressor, EQual, and One, which are all really good.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

EnochLight

10 Nov 2017

I like the instant "drag to module" approach of T-Racks and the specialized module approach; that's pretty sweet. But I have a love/hate relationship with their GUI/UX. On the one hand, I love that they are essentially "rack devices" (ala Reason) that can literally be dragged-to-resize, up to (almost) full screen. On the other hand, I hate that they have SO. MUCH. WASTED. SPACE. When I look at what Fab Filter's Pro-Q2 does full screen, the thought of how T-Racks approached their GUI/UX isn't as appealing to me. I also feel it's overpriced for what it does. Still, a nice option for many!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

NekujaK

10 Nov 2017

Yes, there can be an initial "sticker shock" with T-Racks, but actually, the base $149 T-Racks 5 suite gives you 9 plugins (admittedly some are more useful than others) which works out only about $16 per plugin. And that also includes the mastering suite shell, which is pretty nice. It's not for everyone, but I think their stuff is pretty reasonably priced, all things considered. I know what you mean about the UI, but I guess I've gotten used to their design paradigm over the years :)
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

12 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Not at all! There definitely is some overlap with both being graphic EQs, but if we were scared by other GEQs we wouldn't even have started. There are a lot of other 31 band GEQs out there and we're of course hoping people will like Carve EQ more then all the others anyway. (Personally, I get turned off already at the iLok requirement for a lot of them... :) )
EnochLight wrote:
10 Nov 2017
I prefer Carve's GUI/UX, though I can't tell if it can be dragged-to-resize or not.
It can be dragged-to-resize and scaled (in 5% increments) independently so it should fit all screen sizes and resolutions.

EnochLight

12 Nov 2017

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
12 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
10 Nov 2017
I prefer Carve's GUI/UX, though I can't tell if it can be dragged-to-resize or not.
It can be dragged-to-resize and scaled (in 5% increments) independently so it should fit all screen sizes and resolutions.
Thanks Anders! So, apart from price - what would be a compelling reason for one to pick up Carve as opposed to something like Fab Filter ProQ2?

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

12 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
12 Nov 2017
Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
12 Nov 2017

Thanks Anders! So, apart from price - what would be a compelling reason for one to pick up Carve as opposed to something like Fab Filter ProQ2?
Carve and Pro-Q2 are somewhat different beasts. The second EQ we've teased, Slice, is closer to Pro-Q2 in its functionality. Apart from price I think the difference in Slice and Pro-Q2 will mostly be UX and workflow, where we hope people will like Slice better (but there's definitely going to be people liking Pro-Q2 better as well, a lot of it is a matter of taste). Slice will not have linear phase (at launch) which Pro-Q2 does have, I think that's the biggest feature advantage on Pro-Q2's side. On the other hand it's also costs twice as much. They both behave a little differently in the top end of the spectrum, and while I prefer our behaviour that's also something that could be chalked up as a matter of taste I guess.

As for Carve vs Pro-Q2 (and Slice), it's pretty different in how you work with it. For me, Slice is great for surgical edits, but I find Carve is faster & more natural at sculpting the tone of stuff. The "making it sound right" part rather than "fix a certain problem frequency". I personally haven't really liked GEQs at all in general before, but with Carve I think we've found a pretty nice way to work with them.

That's why we made two plugins Carve and Slice. They complement each other well.

adfielding

12 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
10 Nov 2017
I picked up Equivocate and Elevate (and have been singing their praises since! Elevate is bloody fantastic), but Carve is a different beast IMO. On paper they seem quite similar, but I think Equivocate tends to be a little more heavy handed with the match EQ functionality - which is totally fine for certain situations, but I find Carve to be a more "musical" EQ, both in terms of the match EQ functionality and general use. Also, Carve's UI blows Equivocate away - like I said, I love Equivocate and Elevate, but their GUIs are pretty uninspiring. Functionally fine, but Carve feels much nicer to use.

Whether these differences make much difference is entirely dependent on what you're after, and I'd strongly suggest trying both out if possible. They're both excellent plug-ins, and I'd say they both have their place.

EnochLight

12 Nov 2017

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
12 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
12 Nov 2017

Carve and Pro-Q2 are somewhat different beasts. The second EQ we've teased, Slice, is closer to Pro-Q2 in its functionality. Apart from price I think the difference in Slice and Pro-Q2 will mostly be UX and workflow, where we hope people will like Slice better (but there's definitely going to be people liking Pro-Q2 better as well, a lot of it is a matter of taste). Slice will not have linear phase (at launch) which Pro-Q2 does have, I think that's the biggest feature advantage on Pro-Q2's side. On the other hand it's also costs twice as much. They both behave a little differently in the top end of the spectrum, and while I prefer our behaviour that's also something that could be chalked up as a matter of taste I guess.

As for Carve vs Pro-Q2 (and Slice), it's pretty different in how you work with it. For me, Slice is great for surgical edits, but I find Carve is faster & more natural at sculpting the tone of stuff. The "making it sound right" part rather than "fix a certain problem frequency". I personally haven't really liked GEQs at all in general before, but with Carve I think we've found a pretty nice way to work with them.

That's why we made two plugins Carve and Slice. They complement each other well.
Thanks for your candidness, Anders - this is great information. Cheers!
adfielding wrote:
12 Nov 2017
EdGrip wrote:
10 Nov 2017
I picked up Equivocate and Elevate (and have been singing their praises since! Elevate is bloody fantastic), but Carve is a different beast IMO. On paper they seem quite similar, but I think Equivocate tends to be a little more heavy handed with the match EQ functionality - which is totally fine for certain situations, but I find Carve to be a more "musical" EQ, both in terms of the match EQ functionality and general use. Also, Carve's UI blows Equivocate away - like I said, I love Equivocate and Elevate, but their GUIs are pretty uninspiring. Functionally fine, but Carve feels much nicer to use.

Whether these differences make much difference is entirely dependent on what you're after, and I'd strongly suggest trying both out if possible. They're both excellent plug-ins, and I'd say they both have their place.
I've got Equivocate as well, and almost bought the Elevate bundle upgrade, but Carve has my interest peaked. I really like Carve's GUI/UX approach (I'm not super into Equivocate's approach, but Elevate's spectral thingy looks bad ass). Ugh... my conundrum is this: I already own iZotope Neutron (1), but... I'm just not using it. I was going to sell my license (at a loss), and pick up Fab Filter's ProQ2, but I can also upgrade to Neutron 2 instead and just reap the benefits of that... if I'd just start using it! Lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Choices, choices...

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

12 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
12 Nov 2017
I've got Equivocate as well, and almost bought the Elevate bundle upgrade, but Carve has my interest peaked. I really like Carve's GUI/UX approach (I'm not super into Equivocate's approach, but Elevate's spectral thingy looks bad ass). Ugh... my conundrum is this: I already own iZotope Neutron (1), but... I'm just not using it. I was going to sell my license (at a loss), and pick up Fab Filter's ProQ2, but I can also upgrade to Neutron 2 instead and just reap the benefits of that... if I'd just start using it! Lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Choices, choices...
I think both Slice and Pro-Q2 blows Neutron out of the water in pure versatility of the EQ filters. (For example I don't know any other plugins that do high order slopes on all filter types, but I'd happily be corrected on that if there are.) That said, Neutron has a bunch of other things not related to pure EQing.

EnochLight

12 Nov 2017

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
12 Nov 2017
I think both Slice and Pro-Q2 blows Neutron out of the water in pure versatility of the EQ filters. (For example I don't know any other plugins that do high order slopes on all filter types, but I'd happily be corrected on that if there are.)
Totally agree!
Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
12 Nov 2017
That said, Neutron has a bunch of other things not related to pure EQing.
And there lies my conundrum. If I'd just start using it as intended (not just for the somewhat basic EQ module), and apply it to my mixes, that's an option as well. If I pick up Carve/Slice or ProQ2, it's just one part of a bigger puzzle. I hate to say this, but I might just bow out and look at Neutron again. Might be a better course for my needs (which, at this point, is just finishing mixes). I already have Reason's own SSL-based eq, Synapse Audio's GQ-7, Equivocate, Rob Papen's RP-EQ, Tokyo Dawn Lab's Nova, and a plethora of other eq's. At this point, adding another is just a needless luxury.

Still, good luck with Slice and Carve - they look/sound to be amazing!

• Information