Making a live performance drum machine in reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Eski

10 Nov 2017

I’m trying to create a drum machine for live performance, using a Kong or Redrum (it doesn’t matter which at this stage)

I have a matrix attached to each separate ‘gate in’ on the back of the Kong. I now want to be able to turn each Matrix on/off
and more importantly toggle through the 1-8 pattern settings on each ‘separate’ matrix while playing live using a controller.
(I’m looking at possibly buying a MK2 Grid Controller to do this but not sure if this will work?)

The problem is I could have up to 16 matrix’s wired up and that means mapping 128 buttons to a controller surface.

Is there a rack extension or a more simplified way of doing this that might will help at this point and achieve this vision ?

Cheers in advance.

artotaku

10 Nov 2017

Eski wrote:
10 Nov 2017
I’m trying to create a drum machine for live performance, using a Kong or Redrum (it doesn’t matter which at this stage)

I have a matrix attached to each separate ‘gate in’ on the back of the Kong. I now want to be able to turn each Matrix on/off
and more importantly toggle through the 1-8 pattern settings on each ‘separate’ matrix while playing live using a controller.
(I’m looking at possibly buying a MK2 Grid Controller to do this but not sure if this will work?)

The problem is I could have up to 16 matrix’s wired up and that means mapping 128 buttons to a controller surface.

Is there a rack extension or a more simplified way of doing this that might will help at this point and achieve this vision ?

Cheers in advance.
Redrum can be completely remote controlled from e. g. Launchpad or any other grid based controller with a custom remote codec e. g. http://www.irregular-cluster.de/launchpadmk2.html#daw
There may be other controllers that support Redrum step editing (Nektar Panorama Series maybe?).
Last but not least you could implement your own Reason remote codec for your controller but requires a basic knowledge in LUA programming language.

Eski

10 Nov 2017

Thanks for the reply. I am aware the re drum can be mapped easily to a controller but its the variations in what the matrix's
can offer when performing live that I want to incorporate.

artotaku

10 Nov 2017

Eski wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Thanks for the reply. I am aware the re drum can be mapped easily to a controller but its the variations in what the matrix's
can offer when performing live that I want to incorporate.
You could give Grid64g or Grid64n a try. These REs are step sequencers with different patterns (scenes) and come with custom codecs that map some comon grid based controllers to the RE. I don´t know of any other REs that offer step sequencing AND patterns AND full remotability.

There is PSQ-1684 which is very interesting and offers very good remotability for doing some live stuff but unfortunately it has no patterns so you´d end up adding multiple of them to have some variations. However, you could page through these if each of them has a MIDI track and on your controller, you´d assign two buttons for target previous and next track.

Eski

11 Nov 2017

ok thanks artotaku - I'll take a look at these REs and maybe trial to see where they lead me.

Cheers ;)

grinbucket

11 Nov 2017

artotaku wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Eski wrote:
10 Nov 2017

Cheers in advance.
Redrum can be completely remote controlled from e. g. Launchpad or any other grid based controller with a custom remote codec e. g. http://www.irregular-cluster.de/launchpadmk2.html#daw
There may be other controllers that support Redrum step editing (Nektar Panorama Series maybe?).
Last but not least you could implement your own Reason remote codec for your controller but requires a basic knowledge in LUA programming language.
I've built a similar thing using a Korg Nanokontrol controller. Mapped the knobs on Nanokontrol to each Matrix Pattern Select section, and you could just as easily map the corresponding buttons underneath each knob to control the Matrix On/Off. The "Hamu ModStepper" RE is helpful when you want to have a midi button change values incrementally too.

Eski

13 Nov 2017

The reason I'm looking at the Novation launchpad is the amount of buttons and fast access to them.
Mapping the matrix pattern buttons to dials would be more difficult when playing live.

I've uploaded a pic of the setup I would be hoping to do with the Novation launchpad.

Does anyone know if this would be possible to set this up just using the edit remote override
(learn from midi) function within reason?
launchpad_mk2.jpg
launchpad_mk2.jpg (205.53 KiB) Viewed 1844 times

dustmoses

13 Nov 2017

Arturia SparkLE works great with redrum, basically a roland TR hardware redrum interface, second hand spark LE are cheap but if you got cash for spark2 software+controller it's pretty cool.

(You need this codec https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.c ... ecmap.html)

Raveshaper

14 Nov 2017

This should be fairly easy to setup but there are some things to consider.

First, the pattern select is effectively a single range of value from 1 to 32. The first 8 values are patterns 1 to 8 in Bank A and so on.

Second, to make use of all 32 patterns per matrix you would need to have a way of selecting each bank using a button of some kind to adjust up or down in multiples of 8.

This would mean each "scene" would be inside its own matrix bank, where all the pads would select patterns freely but from the same common bank address across all the matrix units.

You could set this up so that it either runs freely or only loops when the pads are pressed. Both could be achieved at the same time simply by using toggle buttons or gates on the pads in the controller editor.

One recommendation: use columns from left to right instead of rows. This design is strictly monophonic within each matrix. It would be more likely to press two pads on the same row horizontally than on the same column vertically.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Innerst

14 Nov 2017

Fantastic stuff!

The Redrum is a beautiful piece of hardware which I keep going back to again and again.

Now I just have to decide on my first grid controller. Choices has to be made :-)

I was considering hacking the remote files for my BCR2000 to achieve something like this. But it has a limited set of buttons and I am not sure if its even possible.

Eski

14 Nov 2017

Ok thanks for all the help and comments so far everyone. Its much appreciated.

Raveshaper - I'm not to fussed about having access to the matrix B,C,D pattern banks on the controller itself as I would just use the computer to switch if I needed them.

Also how would this setup take shape. Is it done through some software that comes with the Novation launchpad itself ?
I've attached an image as I understand your recommendation to be - please could you confirm ?
launchpad_mk2-B.jpg
launchpad_mk2-B.jpg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 1803 times

artotaku

14 Nov 2017

Eski wrote:
14 Nov 2017
Also how would this setup take shape. Is it done through some software that comes with the Novation launchpad itself ?
AFAIK there is no official remote editor for the Launchpad, at least I cannot find any on the novation music web site.

The poor man´s approach is to add the standard MIDI control keyboard surface remote codec that is shipped with Reason for the Launchpad. All of the buttons should be recognized since they send either MIDI note on/off or CC MIDI messages.

Then just assign each of the buttons of a column to a pattern select button on the Matrix by using Remote Overrides.

You will have no LED feedback though since the MIDI control keyboard remote codec only supports unidirectional state updates.
More sophisticated solutions require custom codecs and LUA programming. E. g. you can achieve stuff similiar to Abletons clip matrix behaviour.

Eski

14 Nov 2017

Ok thanks artotaku thats made things a bit clearer.

If the controller buttons don't light up for the selected matrix pattern bank there would be no point in me investing in this controller.
The whole point in this solution is to instantly see what is selected, so I can spread my attention out onto other devices when playing live.

Saying that - I've just come across a 'possible' work round on Reason Experts website. But it is using the Launchpad pro. which is more
expensive to buy and might work differently to the MK2 Grid Controller. I'm not 100% sure it will lend itself to what I'm trying to do. (will need
to watch again)

For anyone who might be interested Mr Hydlide parts his knowledge here https://www.reasonexperts.com/the-launchpad-pro.html
(skip the first 5 minutes, as its not really that relevant)

• Information