Do you RE subscribers get any music done?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2017

When I read about the subscription options, especially the €19 and €29 ones, my thought was, will anyone actually be able to produce any music with so many new options?
If I was gonna try out REs for a value of €3000 in a month I would be so focused on trying everything out that the thing that actually matters most wouldn't happen, making music.

So I'm just curious, for you who have gone the subscription route, have you been able to write any music or has all your Reason time been reduced to trying out plugins?

selig
RE Developer

05 Nov 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Nov 2017
When I read about the subscription options, especially the €19 and €29 ones, my thought was, will anyone actually be able to produce any music with so many new options?
If I was gonna try out REs for a value of €3000 in a month I would be so focused on trying everything out that the thing that actually matters most wouldn't happen, making music.

So I'm just curious, for you who have gone the subscription route, have you been able to write any music or has all your Reason time been reduced to trying out plugins?
I'm not a subscriber, but one of the ways I know a device is "for me" is if I make a song with it on my first few time messing around with it. I imagine I'm not alone in this, but it will be interesting to see the responses to this question from those who ARE subscribers!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

05 Nov 2017

Also not a subscriber but I believe the mindset should be different here. Don’t look at subscriptions as a way of trying REs. There are 30 day demos for that. Look at it as a way to have access to a bundle of REs you otherwise wouldn’t be able to buy straight up or REs you may only need for a select period of time. If you think of it that way, there is no distraction because you’re only renting things you need for music making.

Aosta

05 Nov 2017

Personally I think the whole subscription thing will be quietly discontinued within a year. I can see it being a novelty for a while but props is no Adobe. Once people see that the subscription model is basically extended paid demos that users have to keep paying for to open old projects (unless they bounce it all down) people will either just buy the RE or forget they ever had it and move on.
Tend the flame

sdst
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2017

not a subscriber here but

maybe you do more songs, knowing that the end is coming. :puf_bigsmile:

raymondh

05 Nov 2017

Hopefully the subscribers who are making music are remembering to bounce in place when they finish a song :)

Adabler
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2017

Aosta wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Once people see that the subscription model is basically extended paid demos
That is kinda the point, isn't it? Due to a busy schedule I find the 30 day trial a little stressful, it is nice to be able to check out stuff without a time limit breathing down my neck.

I stay within the $9 tier, only subscribing to 4 instruments, but I can see suddenly having 3000€ worth of stuff might be overwhelming, to say the least.
:reason: 12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2017

Adabler wrote:
06 Nov 2017
Aosta wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Once people see that the subscription model is basically extended paid demos
That is kinda the point, isn't it? Due to a busy schedule I find the 30 day trial a little stressful, it is nice to be able to check out stuff without a time limit breathing down my neck.

I stay within the $9 tier, only subscribing to 4 instruments, but I can see suddenly having 3000€ worth of stuff might be overwhelming, to say the least.
Yeah I can see how the $9 deal would work just fine. I've probably tried out 3-4 REs max at the same time and that was ok. But I rarely need more than a couple of days with a new RE to decide whether I want it or not, sometimes it's within the first 20 minutes. To me it's a very intuitive thing. Does it feel right? It either grabs my interest or it doesn't. I usually remove them as soon I've decided not to buy them. I'm actually a little surprised that 30 days isn't enough for people to make up their mind, even with a lot of other stuff getting in the way of music making.
But I guess other people need more time to make their plugin decisions and might be more thoughtful about it than I am.

For me personally the subscription thing looks more like an alternative to buying the stuff you want to use and saving some money that way, especially the 3000€ value deal. This of course only works if you normally spend a lot of money on REs.

Adabler
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Nov 2017
(...) I rarely need more than a couple of days with a new RE to decide whether I want it or not, sometimes it's within the first 20 minutes. To me it's a very intuitive thing. Does it feel right?(...) I'm actually a little surprised that 30 days isn't enough for people to make up their mind, even with a lot of other stuff getting in the way of music making. But I guess other people need more time to make their plugin decisions and might be more thoughtful about it than I am.
I like to make a song or two with the RE's I am testing so that I can get a feel for using them within a project. Currently, I am testing out the A-list guitar stuff, which is expensive even when bundeled, and I'd like be as close to finish with the song(s) before deciding, so a couple of months of $9 testing is ok with me.

The A-list devices are very different from all my other RE's, so this might be a special case as I usually need less time to decide if want a new synth or not.
:reason: 12, Win10

chimp_spanner

06 Nov 2017

I mean, setting aside subscriptions, I think just owning such a large number of REs *can* be problematic in terms of choice-overload. I find the best thing to do is either keep it simple and just use the stock devices to lay down the core of the idea, or deliberately pick a synth or effect I've neglected and see what it inspires. There are ways to make the options work for you, even if it means temporarily removing them.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2017

selig wrote:
05 Nov 2017
I'm not a subscriber, but one of the ways I know a device is "for me" is if I make a song with it on my first few time messing around with it. I imagine I'm not alone in this, but it will be interesting to see the responses to this question from those who ARE subscribers!
:)
Yep. A song must come out within a month or I won't buy it. That's why the trial is so important and why i stopped the crazy "instabuys" just because stuff is on sale. This is not so effective for processors, but for instrument sources is a good rule!

A good example of that was Oberon. I always felt marveled by it's exquisite way of working with envelopes (it's probably the first synth in the Shop to allow you create the oscillator wave), but being able to try it twice (once while beta testing, and then by trialing) i seemed to never be able to get interesting sounds from it. And the patches that ship with it didn't motivate me either.

Another one was Radikal Piano. Being a pianist myself, i eagerly try every piano that comes out for reason. Reason pianos is still after all these years my go to piano when starting my projects, but comparing RP to Reason Pianos, is like comparing apples with oranges. And the thing is, i never could get Radikal Piano sound as good as Reason Pianos, but with a little bit of fiddling i can get Reason Pianos sounding as trashy and toylike as Radikal (i know that it is now part of reason 10, but that doesn't make it a good piano after all).

On a side note about the instabuys... I bought ReSpire, Antidote and Expanse as instabuys. The JMJ project file with respire got it sold to me. Antidote i got it because i was working on another guys project and it was the only synth missing from the synth rig, and it would be more expensive to get the Synth Rig upgrade. And Expanse is the only custom wavetable loader in the rack, for 59 eur was a steal. Already did stuff with all of them, despite the "rush" (actually i trialled expanse for 1,5 week before getting it because Europa got me thinking if i really needed it - i didn't but Expanse is as or even more inspiring than europa on some stuff).

Anyway.. I have Re Synths i bought because i liked 1 single patch. PX7 for the ePiano, Vecto for all of the ominous Strings, Revival for the blues patch. Those are the things that get you sold on stuff, completely hooked on this or that device.

CaliforniaBurrito

06 Nov 2017

Interesting topic and I am in a weird situation with the subscription model. I started a $9 subscription because my upcoming album will include tracks I completed with Proton for which I no longer have a trial. This alone makes it worth it for me as being able to go back and open the tracks I did is mandatory for the album project with compositional and mixing tweaks.

Of course it would be silly just to have a one RE subscription.

I also subscribed to Legend which I'm not really interested in owning either because Diva covers that territory just fine for me although Legend did sneak into one of my album tracks. Then there's Expanse which I don't think really suits my sound but I think the evolutionary beast is worth exploring. Then I added the kHs Transient Shaper because I do a lot of that and I'm genuinely interested in trying it. The Synapse DR-1 Reverb is just there to get my money's worth for simple functionality even though I'm having a blast with Toraverb 2.

Anyways...

To answer your question, I don't think I would benefit from a higher tier with so many options, but I do indeed already have a boat load of RE's. Considering how many RE's I've used in my current album project, I would definitely be subscribed to a higher tier if I didn't have much or if I was a new user.

• Information