I was stupid

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
junglephone

02 Nov 2017

:roll: Yep, I was stupid. I upgraded to 9.5 on April, 29, 2017 because I was super excited about the incorporation of VST. I should have known 10 was right around the corner. I should have waited. I could have gone from 7 to 10 for $129. Instead, because I was impatient, total upgrade cost to 10 will be $259 if I buy in 2017. I should have thought about timing. If I would have thought about it, I would have realized that version 10 would come out just in time for the holiday shopping season. Stupid. :oops:
iMac 2.7 Ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, Focusrite Liquid 56 Saffire, OS X 10.12.6

esselfortium

02 Nov 2017

If you waited several years to go from Reason 7 to 9.5, you could always wait another year or two for Reason 11 or 12 I suppose...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

sublunar

02 Nov 2017

To be honest if you're coming from 9.5 I'm not sure that you're missing out on a lot. Unless you're short on synthesizers and drum loops*. I learned long ago to not be a version-chaser of any software. I went from 8 to 10 myself.

*Having said that, I've spent most of my time playing around with Grain and and I gotta say it's pretty awesome. Very excited to put some work into that instrument. But I don't have any other sample mangling synths so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm also new to the world of VSTs and had never previously used a plugin in any of my projects before yesterday when I loaded some. So between Grain and playing with VSTs I've been pretty happy with the upgrade. But then there's also the players and other things that are new to me. And the new darker themes! ... all two of them. But hey, darker is nicer so I'll take it. I think Europa seems like it could make some interesting sounds but I haven't really dug deep into it yet. Haven't even looked at the loops and stuff yet. The other new instruments are not very exciting to me.

Unless you're dying to have Europa or Grain, I'd say just be content for a while and make music and don't worry about new versions. It was hard telling myself not to buy 9/9.5 but I just blocked it out of my mind and continued making music knowing that I'd probably jump in at the next version. And that's what I did.

RandyEspoda

02 Nov 2017

I bought 9 at the end of May, and still I'm not regretting getting 10 so fast. Too bad I spent the money twice, can't deny it, but Europa and Grain are still worth it imo. Endless fun. I've yet to delve into Humana and the others tbh, still preoccupied with mostly Grain and Europa, and the drum and loop supply...

Since I had gone from 6 to 8, 9 seemed too good to pass by, and now with 10 I felt the same.
If 11 doesn't give me that feeling I will pass it by...key is to just trust your gut feeling.
If spending the money doesn't feel right, don't.

Goodbye

02 Nov 2017

The only thing you are missing in 10 is Grain. Europa is OK, but not worth getting excited about unless you haven't played with other REs. The rest is filler. I really wouldn't lose any sleep.

s2k

02 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
02 Nov 2017
So you waited to upgrade from R7 when R9.5 was released and you're impatient? :)
He should have waited for Reason 15 and could have saved at least 1K. Now that would have been a prime example of patience. :lol:
Windows 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Studio One 3.5 | Bitwig 2.1 | Lenovo Yoga 720 15.6"' | 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7700HQ | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | Seagate 8TB HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

antic604

02 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
02 Nov 2017
So you waited to upgrade from R7 when R9.5 was released and you're impatient? :)
LOL! :D

tumar

02 Nov 2017

Take it easy. I just demoed R10 and decided to pass it. Europa and Grain are not worth to upgrade, in my opinion of course.

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2017

I upgraded from 6.5 to 9.5 in August. When Reason 10 was announced my reaction was "Ohh damnn I should've waited", but I got over it in a day. You win some, you lose some. Besides, the added features in the gap between 6 (or even 7 in your case) and 10 is pretty good for $258.

Raveshaper

02 Nov 2017

We're all here because this is something that drives us. None of us are going to pretend we either have not or will not spend a fortune on our craft. We all know we will over the course of our journey. In comparison to the opportunities seized and the magic moments captured to track, the cost is minimal.

That said, I'm not upgrading yet. I have to get my house in order first.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

theshoemaker

02 Nov 2017

I'm still totally overwhelmed with Nostromo 2 and PSQ 3 :) ... And I bought the upgrade in the beginning of August, because I wanted ... PSQ3 and Nostromo 2 around the corner :)
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

junglephone

04 Nov 2017

s2k wrote:
02 Nov 2017
joeyluck wrote:
02 Nov 2017
He should have waited for Reason 15 and could have saved at least 1K. Now that would have been a prime example of patience. :lol:
Hey, it could happen! :lol:

In all seriousness though, being a married, with kids, a mortgage, and two car notes, every penny counts. I've gotten pretty good at avoiding software mania. That said, I do like new instruments. The grain thing appeals to me from a sound design standpoint. I'm an habitual sound mangler. I could put a hurtin' on Europa. I just wish my timing had been better.

Admittedly, this is just venting and clearly just first world problems. My music making will not suffer one iota. I just find it annoying when I spend money on software only to find if I had waited seven months, I would have had more that was useful to me for the same money. Vent over. Music to be made.

Gorgon

04 Nov 2017

I'm not upgrading. VST support is infinitely more valuable than this lame Reason 10 "upgrade".
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Psuper

04 Nov 2017

Propellerhead Reasons upgrade path is ridiculously high to boot, if the company expects users to shell out 1/3 of the purchase price that upgrade better be 1/3 better than the last.

And this last 'upgrade' to me was insulting from a standpoint of what Reason "The Daw" needs.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

plaamook

04 Nov 2017

I like Grain so much I'd have paid £100 for it as a RE
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Psuper

04 Nov 2017

plaamook wrote:
04 Nov 2017
I like Grain so much I'd have paid £100 for it as a RE
Which is how it should have been - as an RE, instead of choosing not to focus on what matters and makes a difference to the vast majority of users in a DAW.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

mark999

04 Nov 2017

I'll make it easy for you..... you have two options...

1) If you really want the new synths and new sounds, then the upgrade price is worth it (regardless of when you last upgraded) because the new devices sound fantastic and are very nice to have.
2) If you don't want the new synths and new sounds then don't upgrade

Reasonable man

04 Nov 2017

I know this might be a stupid question but here goes.....

Would there be a discount off Reason 10 itself for few hours on Black friday?

Aosta

04 Nov 2017

junglephone wrote:
02 Nov 2017
:roll: Yep, I was stupid. I upgraded to 9.5 on April, 29, 2017 because I was super excited about the incorporation of VST. I should have known 10 was right around the corner. I should have waited. I could have gone from 7 to 10 for $129. Instead, because I was impatient, total upgrade cost to 10 will be $259 if I buy in 2017. I should have thought about timing. If I would have thought about it, I would have realized that version 10 would come out just in time for the holiday shopping season. Stupid. :oops:
Life is full of if onlys and regrets, shit you can do about it so there is no point in dwelling. Enjoy R10 and make some kick ass music instead.
Tend the flame

Ostermilk

04 Nov 2017

Just think of the poor entrepreneur who spent $100,000 getting 'Congratulations President H Clinton' T-shirts printed before the election result came in.

On balance. over time I guess we all win as often as we lose. Learn from the losses and celebrate the wins.

Aosta

04 Nov 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Just think of the poor entrepreneur who spent $100,000 getting 'Congratulations President H Clinton' T-shirts printed before the election result came in.

On balance. over time I guess we all win as often as we lose. Learn from the losses and celebrate the wins.
Just think of Lily Allen who turned down being paid $200,000 in bitcoin back in 2009 for a gig. Current value is nearly $1.5 billion for those coins.
Tend the flame

jlgrimes

05 Nov 2017

Gorgon wrote:
04 Nov 2017
I'm not upgrading. VST support is infinitely more valuable than this lame Reason 10 "upgrade".
This was probably one of the smallest upgrades I remember.

The new sounds are actually great though but upgrade definitely don’t seem “balanced”.

If Props wanted to improve in the sound area, I think the Props should have gave us only 1 synth and more workflow upgrades. Even if they only scratched a few areas I think most would have been happier. The other synth could have been released as RE (or got put in in 11). With more workflow enhancements and just one synth, I think more parties would have been satisfied. Maybe there are some technical reasons we didn’t get workflow enhancements.

Ableton 10 seems like a phenomenal upgrade. Even they dropped the ball in some areas (no comping, VST3 support, no Sampler update) but they improved on so much other stuff I doubt the lack of those features being a sore issue for Ableton.

They added over 200 features. One new synth (probably not as good as Europa), updated GUI, browser improvements, Piano Roll improvements, arrange view improvements etc, new effects, better M4L integration etc, new sample packs)

Reason added 2 new synths, 3 new Sample based REs designed by a 3rd party, included a RE that goes back to Reason 6.5, included a paid for RE from Reason 6.5 era, included a paid for RE from Reason 7.0 era, new drum Sample pack, new loop pack, one small browser improvement, new content manager.

They kind of ignored some of the bigger elephants in the room.

No GUI enhancements, no piano Roll improvements, no enhancements to current Reason devices, no Track Freeze, no new mixer functionality. It’s weird I’m sure Props have to know the areas in what most users would kind of be in agreement of improving.

I think new sounds and synths only excited a small amount.

That said the synths are great (both are IMO). I personally would have been happier if they just decided to include these in the RE shop (I’m sure plenty would have bought these) and wait a little bit longer to release 10 and focused on workflow pretty much only.

jlgrimes

05 Nov 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Gorgon wrote:
04 Nov 2017
This was probably one of the smallest upgrades I remember.

The new sounds are actually great though but upgrade definitely don’t seem “balanced”.

If Props wanted to improve in the sound area, I think the Props should have gave us only 1 synth and more workflow upgrades. Even if they only scratched a few areas I think most would have been happier. The other synth could have been released as RE (or got put in in 11). With more workflow enhancements and just one synth, I think more parties would have been satisfied. Maybe there are some technical reasons we didn’t get workflow enhancements.

Ableton 10 seems like a phenomenal upgrade. Even they dropped the ball in some areas (no comping, VST3 support, no Sampler update) but they improved on so much other stuff I doubt the lack of those features being a sore issue for Ableton.

They added over 200 features. One new synth (probably not as good as Europa), updated GUI, browser improvements, Piano Roll improvements, arrange view improvements etc, new effects, better M4L integration etc, new sample packs)

Reason added 2 new synths, 3 new Sample based REs designed by a 3rd party, included a RE that goes back to Reason 6.5, included a paid for RE from Reason 6.5 era, included a paid for RE from Reason 7.0 era, new drum Sample pack, new loop pack, one small browser improvement, new content manager.

They kind of ignored some of the bigger elephants in the room.

No GUI enhancements, no piano Roll improvements, no enhancements to current Reason devices, no Track Freeze, no new mixer functionality, no major improvements to high CPU use, nothing game changing on CV/Routing. It’s weird I’m sure Props have to know the areas in what most users would kind of be in agreement of improving.

I think new sounds and synths only excited a small amount.

That said the synths are great (both are IMO). I personally would have been happier if they just decided to include these in the RE shop (I’m sure plenty would have bought these) and wait a little bit longer to release 10 and focused on workflow pretty much only.

junglephone

06 Nov 2017

Aosta wrote:
04 Nov 2017
junglephone wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Life is full of if onlys and regrets, shit you can do about it so there is no point in dwelling. Enjoy R10 and make some kick ass music instead.
Way ahead of you Philosopher Person, only I'll make that kickass music on 9.5 because unless I see a sale, I ain't buying 10 anytime soon. I would have liked to have had the granular synth and radical piano. Do I absolutely need them? Truthfully, with VST support, no, but I would have put them to good use. I like exploring new instruments and I would have had them for the same money if I had waited. In truth, I'm blessed with what I have. All I have to do is think back to the days when I had to bounce between two cassette decks to get multitrack audio to realize how far I've come. Life is good. Back to the lab.

• Information