Reason 10 support arrives for rsTouch!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Faastwalker

13 Dec 2017

Delora Software wrote:
12 Dec 2017
The Lemur uses its own proprietary way of sending MIDI over a network (the "Lemur Daemon"). It works well for its intended purpose, but is different from rtpMIDI. Success with the Lemur does not necessarily imply that you will have a smooth rtpMIDI experience. There is though a way with the Lemur to send MIDI through conventional MIDI. So you could use one of your existing Lemur templates to experiment with rtpMIDI and get familiar with it.
Ah yes, the Lemur Daemon. I though there was something else in the equation but it's been a while since I set things up. I'll get hold of rtpMIDI & have a play. If it works okay with Lemur next step is to get hold of rsTouch & the relevant files. I really want to get hold of this App & get it up and running. Looks fantastic.

uncle

24 Dec 2017

Great app. While connected, I was actually hoping (maybe foolishly so) that I would be able to listen to the sound through my iPad.. That way I could work on some early stages of mixing with my head phones whilst lying in bed.. Lol.. Or is that possible by any chance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by uncle on 24 Dec 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Delora Software

25 Dec 2017

uncle wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Great app. While connected, I was actually hoping (maybe foolishly so) that I would be able to listen to the sound through my iPad.. That way I could work on some early stages of mixing with my head phones whilst lying in bed.. Lol.. Or is that possible by any chance?

Remote listening is certainly a worthwhile, desirable feature, but it is well outside rsTouch's scope. Setting that aside, there is critical limitation that renders most wireless audio connection methods inappropriate for many remote monitoring usages: latency.

Bluetooth headphones illustrate the problem. Latency for a typical Bluetooth connection is around the 200 msec mark. Even if you have a device and headphones that support the AptX-low-latency codec you are still looking at between 30 msec and 40 msec best case. And that is latency on top of whatever Reason (or any other DAW) adds to the picture.

The challenges/frustrations of trying to record with a high latency set up are well known; what is less often considered is the impact of latency on activities like mixing. The added delay makes sound adjustments slow and tedious: make a small change, wait for the audio to "catch up", evaluate, rinse and repeat.

It is possible to create a wireless audio system that has acceptable latency but requires a different approach than using conventional Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. This is the approach that gaming wireless headphones take, and on-stage in-ear wireless monitors. They all use proprietary connections to achieve what they believe is low enough latency. Bringing a comparable approach to an iOS device is major undertaking (if indeed even practical).
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software
Developer of rsTouch Pro for Reason, and rsRemote for Reason

EnochLight

25 Dec 2017

Delora Software wrote:
25 Dec 2017
Bluetooth headphones illustrate the problem. Latency for a typical Bluetooth connection is around the 200 msec mark. Even if you have a device and headphones that support the AptX-low-latency codec you are still looking at between 30 msec and 40 msec best case. And that is latency on top of whatever Reason (or any other DAW) adds to the picture.
Holy crap - I had no idea latency was that bad with Bluetooth audio! Good to know. Thanks
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

uncle

25 Dec 2017

Delora Software wrote:
uncle wrote:
24 Dec 2017

Remote listening is certainly a worthwhile, desirable feature, but it is well outside rsTouch's scope. Setting that aside, there is critical limitation that renders most wireless audio connection methods inappropriate for many remote monitoring usages: latency.

The challenges/frustrations of trying to record with a high latency set up are well known; what is less often considered is the impact of latency on activities like mixing. The added delay makes sound adjustments slow and tedious: make a small change, wait for the audio to "catch up", evaluate, rinse and repeat.

It is possible to create a wireless audio system that has acceptable latency but requires a different approach than using conventional Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. This is the approach that gaming wireless headphones take, and on-stage in-ear wireless monitors. They all use proprietary connections to achieve what they believe is low enough latency. Bringing a comparable approach to an iOS device is major undertaking (if indeed even practical).

Hmm, unfortunate.

• Information