Reason 10 support arrives for rsTouch!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Delora Software

01 Nov 2017

We just released a new version of rsTouch (2.9.0). This release is mostly about Reason 10 support, including all of the wonderful new Reason 10 instruments and effects. Six Reason devices and Rack Extensions were added; rsTouch now supports 130 Reason devices, REs, and VSTs.

New Reason Devices:
  • Europa
  • Grain
  • Klang
  • Pangea
  • Humana
I am not listing Synchronous or Radical Piano as those have had rsTouch support for some time. So with the five above, plus those previous two, rsTouch supports all of the devices included in Reason 10.

The update also includes support for Propellerhead’s newest RE, Layers.

rsTouch 2.9.0 provides a few operational improvements such as improved network MIDI connect screen status display. It also addresses a few minor bugs.

This release requires new Reason support files (codec and maps) that must be installed. The most recent rsTouch support files are available from http://www.delora.com/distribution/rsto ... _codec.php. Download the installer to your Mac or PC, quit Reason (if it is running), then run the installer. If you do not update the support files on your computer then rsTouch will show an error.

rsTouch Pro offers full control of Reason’s Mixer and transport functions. Record and mix songs, and make sound setting and level adjustments easily with large, multi-touch, color-coded rotaries and faders.  Edit send effects, insert parameters, and EQ settings, as well as adjust channel, pan and dynamics levels.  A dedicated Master screen allows full adjustments of Reason's Main Mixer Master section.  The Device page provides a gateway to controlling 130 Reason instruments, effects, Rack Extensions and VSTs, offering customized screens optimized for iPad use. A Performance page provides convenient keyboard, drum pad layouts, and 8 x 8 pad grid to play and record Reason synths and drum machines, or a page of freely assignable fader, rotaries, and buttons that can be used to provide additional customized hands-on control.

For additional information see http://www.delora.com/products/rstouch/

If you have any trouble with the update, or uncover what you believe is a bug, please reach out to us at our support email (support AT delora.com). There is also a convienent "contact support" feature in rsTouch that you can use.

If you have any general questions or comments I would be happy to answer them in this thread.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software
Developer of rsTouch Pro for Reason, and rsRemote for Reason

Funkspace

01 Nov 2017

rsTouch is definitely impressive and a no brainer for anyone with an iPad who uses Reason. Well worth it.
Supports quite a few REs out there too.

WillyOD

02 Nov 2017

Great software. Haven't used it since I got Nektar P6. I wonder if I could make these two work nicely together...?
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Delora Software

02 Nov 2017

WillyOD wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Great software. Haven't used it since I got Nektar P6. I wonder if I could make these two work nicely together...?
Reason's Remote system is pretty slick about working well with multiple control surfaces, even of different types. For example multiple control surfaces can independently control the same rack device, yet changes will be properly reflected on all control surfaces.

You can also do something like the following: lock one control surface to one device while leaving the other to continue controlling the currently active sequencer track device. A good example of this might be when using one of the Players, or the RPG-8 arp. One control surface could be locked to Player/arp while the other is controlling the synth. Or have one locked to a synth while another to The Echo or other EFX.

There are a few areas where Reason shares the same resource with all control surface. For example sequencer track navigation; there is but a single "active" sequencer track that all control surfaces follow and/or move through (track up/down navigation) unless explicitly locked to a device. The Main Mixer (SSL) also has a common "base channel" that establishes the first mixer channel that all control surfaces can currently access; this is how most control surfaces bank through a large project with a limited number of control surface mixer channels.

[Note: I believe the Panorama series uses this differently than most controllers and that could be an issue for the Panorama when used along side rsTouch and other controllers while navigating SSL channels].

If you have multiple control surfaces, and your workspace ergonomics allow, I recommend experimenting with using them.

Its one reason why we developed rsRemote, our iPhone Reason control surface. rsTouch and rsRemote both work well together, and some iPad users also have iPhones or iPod Touches. Sometimes the smaller iPhone form factor is nice if you need to be away from your desk to say record a vocal take, drums, guitar, etc.

Also, any one who is fortunate enough to have multiple iPads should give multiple instances of rsTouch a go. Just make sure you have a full set of rsTouch control surfaces in the Reason preferences for each iPad.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

EnochLight

02 Nov 2017

Delora Software wrote:
01 Nov 2017
We just released a new version of rsTouch (2.9.0). This release is mostly about Reason 10 support, including all of the wonderful new Reason 10 instruments and effects. Six Reason devices and Rack Extensions were added; rsTouch now supports 130 Reason devices, REs, and VSTs.

New Reason Devices:
  • Europa
  • Grain
  • Klang
  • Pangea
  • Humana
I am not listing Synchronous or Radical Piano as those have had rsTouch support for some time. So with the five above, plus those previous two, rsTouch supports all of the devices included in Reason 10.

The update also includes support for Propellerhead’s newest RE, Layers.

rsTouch 2.9.0 provides a few operational improvements such as improved network MIDI connect screen status display. It also addresses a few minor bugs.

This release requires new Reason support files (codec and maps) that must be installed. The most recent rsTouch support files are available from http://www.delora.com/distribution/rsto ... _codec.php. Download the installer to your Mac or PC, quit Reason (if it is running), then run the installer. If you do not update the support files on your computer then rsTouch will show an error.

rsTouch Pro offers full control of Reason’s Mixer and transport functions. Record and mix songs, and make sound setting and level adjustments easily with large, multi-touch, color-coded rotaries and faders.  Edit send effects, insert parameters, and EQ settings, as well as adjust channel, pan and dynamics levels.  A dedicated Master screen allows full adjustments of Reason's Main Mixer Master section.  The Device page provides a gateway to controlling 130 Reason instruments, effects, Rack Extensions and VSTs, offering customized screens optimized for iPad use. A Performance page provides convenient keyboard, drum pad layouts, and 8 x 8 pad grid to play and record Reason synths and drum machines, or a page of freely assignable fader, rotaries, and buttons that can be used to provide additional customized hands-on control.

For additional information see http://www.delora.com/products/rstouch/

If you have any trouble with the update, or uncover what you believe is a bug, please reach out to us at our support email (support AT delora.com). There is also a convienent "contact support" feature in rsTouch that you can use.

If you have any general questions or comments I would be happy to answer them in this thread.
Wow - thanks Doug! This looks like a fantastic update. Thanks for not making this abandonware - rsTouch is probably one of the most capable and feature-packed wireless controller options out there for any DAW!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tiker01

02 Nov 2017

Nice!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

madmacman

02 Nov 2017

Thank you very much for your efforts, Doug! Even if I don't have R10 (yet), I highly appreciate the continuous updates! :thumbs_up:

Andy
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2017

This is great thanks Doug.

Delora Software

04 Nov 2017

Thanks everyone for all the nice words. We really appreciate it!
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

BPGeez

05 Nov 2017

Listen, your app seems incredible, and I've been watching it for some time now! The only thing I can think to ask is.. when the f*** are you guys gonna make an Android app??? I know when you ask developers that, it's usually because cost etc.. but face it, you only have half of your potential customers (nobody changes phone platforms). It's sort of like that bullshit app from Propellerhead's that I never got to use. Maybe at least the rsRemote?? Anyways, just ranting. Good days
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

Delora Software

08 Nov 2017

BPGeez wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Listen, your app seems incredible, and I've been watching it for some time now! The only thing I can think to ask is.. when the f*** are you guys gonna make an Android app??? I know when you ask developers that, it's usually because cost etc.. but face it, you only have half of your potential customers (nobody changes phone platforms). It's sort of like that bullshit app from Propellerhead's that I never got to use. Maybe at least the rsRemote?? Anyways, just ranting. Good days
Its a fair question, one that I am glad you asked because this type of feedback is always welcomed.

You more or less answered the question yourself. Your observation about Propellerhead only supporting iOS is telling. PH is a small company, yet far bigger than most music mobile app development companies. They could not justify developing their Allihoopa-centric apps other than on iOS. Given their vision of Allihoopa as a kind of universal collaboration service/platform they had huge motivation to offer the widest range of mobile device support, yet for some reason have elected to not do that yet.

Steinberg is another example of a music software company who has elected to only support a single mobile platform, and Steinberg is a division of Yamaha! This same theme repeats across the music app landscape, companies large and small elect to support a single mobile platform, usually iOS. Economic and structural issues cause this.

The Android platform is well understood by app developers to suffer from "device diversity" that creates a very fractured platform. It is a real world challenge that can bog down and suck the life out of development. iOS itself has become challenging enough in the past few years with its explosion of device form factors spread across yearly OS releases. Android though makes iOS look simple in terms of platform diversity. Such diversity means spending much more time on working through all the idiosyncrasies, plus far more end-user support.

The market for control surface products is actually smaller then one might think. Only a fraction of DAW users feel the need to invest in a tool to augment their normal mouse/keyboard interactions. Frankly the most impactful event for products like rsTouch is not wider platform support but DAW manufacturers promoting the benefits of "modern" control surfaces to their users, plus educating them about the benefits. It is a much underused and under appreciated DAW feature!

So rsTouch and rsRemote are niche add-on products (control surfaces) for a niche product (Reason) in a niche marketplace (DAWs). And while that may seem to argue for supporting the widest range of platforms in order to reach the most potential users, supporting multiple platforms is complex, challenging, and costly in terms of actual development costs, support costs, and opportunity costs. More so when you layer on top a difficult platform like Android. Its hard to make the business case to add such a platform for just one, low-volume product.

So at this point we continue to be mainly focused on iOS, as well as its bigger brother MacOS. At the same time we remain open to considering other platforms, especially if that platform offers something compelling, like new product possibilities or unique user experiences. So its good that you asked!
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

BananaSkins

08 Nov 2017

RE: rsTouch Pro

Any up to date videos (2017) of this software + iPad actually being set up and played in a studio?

And please confirm in order to use rsTouch iTunes needs to be installed on your Reason PC and both iPad and PC connected to the same network...Yes?

Delora Software

08 Nov 2017

BananaSkins wrote:
08 Nov 2017
RE: rsTouch Pro

Any up to date videos (2017) of this software + iPad actually being set up and played in a studio?

And please confirm in order to use rsTouch iTunes needs to be installed on your Reason PC and both iPad and PC connected to the same network...Yes?
There are videos on this page http://www.delora.com/products/rstouch/ and a set up video on this page http://www.delora.com/products/rstouch/rstsetup/. They are not "fresh" videos, but then again nothing has changed in the general operation of controlling Reason with rsTouch, plus rsTouch is a very mature product that has been often updated. If you have any specific questions or concerns I be happy to answer them, or perhaps one of the rsTouch users here on ReasonTalk will chime in.

Regarding Windows PC requirements, that depends on whether you wish to use a network MIDI connection scheme, or a conventional wired MIDI scheme. If it is network MIDI then you will need to download an install rtpMIDI from Tobias Erichsen's website. Network MIDI also requires that your PC have Bonjour (Zeroconf) installed. This can be installed via a number of means, including from Apple https://support.apple.com/kb/DL999?view ... cale=en_US. Bonjour is also included as part of the Windows iTunes installation, which may be why you thought iTunes is required. It is not.

Network MIDI only works within the same local network (technically on the same IP sub-net). It also works on ad hoc Wi-Fi networks.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

amcjen

08 Nov 2017

Congrats! Excited to try out the new version!

Delora Software

08 Nov 2017

amcjen wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Thanks Allison!

Speaking of congrats, I've been silently lurking on your "SSL hardware controller" thread. Very cool with lots of good ideas from you and the other active participants. I especially admire that you quickly moved from conceptual design to actually making something real happen.

The economics of a hardware control surface product are pretty challenging so your open-hardware/crowd-sourced/DIY platform approach is I think spot on. Plus the underlying design concept can be applied to other types of control surfaces beyond the SSL/mixer realm. Great start!

[Anyone reading this who is not aware of SSL hardware controller project should see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7502789]
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

BPGeez

12 Nov 2017

Delora Software wrote:
08 Nov 2017
BPGeez wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Its a fair question, one that I am glad you asked because this type of feedback is always welcomed.

You more or less answered the question yourself. Your observation about Propellerhead only supporting iOS is telling. PH is a small company, yet far bigger than most music mobile app development companies. They could not justify developing their Allihoopa-centric apps other than on iOS. Given their vision of Allihoopa as a kind of universal collaboration service/platform they had huge motivation to offer the widest range of mobile device support, yet for some reason have elected to not do that yet.

Steinberg is another example of a music software company who has elected to only support a single mobile platform, and Steinberg is a division of Yamaha! This same theme repeats across the music app landscape, companies large and small elect to support a single mobile platform, usually iOS. Economic and structural issues cause this.

The Android platform is well understood by app developers to suffer from "device diversity" that creates a very fractured platform. It is a real world challenge that can bog down and suck the life out of development. iOS itself has become challenging enough in the past few years with its explosion of device form factors spread across yearly OS releases. Android though makes iOS look simple in terms of platform diversity. Such diversity means spending much more time on working through all the idiosyncrasies, plus far more end-user support.

The market for control surface products is actually smaller then one might think. Only a fraction of DAW users feel the need to invest in a tool to augment their normal mouse/keyboard interactions. Frankly the most impactful event for products like rsTouch is not wider platform support but DAW manufacturers promoting the benefits of "modern" control surfaces to their users, plus educating them about the benefits. It is a much underused and under appreciated DAW feature!

So rsTouch and rsRemote are niche add-on products (control surfaces) for a niche product (Reason) in a niche marketplace (DAWs). And while that may seem to argue for supporting the widest range of platforms in order to reach the most potential users, supporting multiple platforms is complex, challenging, and costly in terms of actual development costs, support costs, and opportunity costs. More so when you layer on top a difficult platform like Android. Its hard to make the business case to add such a platform for just one, low-volume product.

So at this point we continue to be mainly focused on iOS, as well as its bigger brother MacOS. At the same time we remain open to considering other platforms, especially if that platform offers something compelling, like new product possibilities or unique user experiences. So its good that you asked!
Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I can tell your customers are happy with your support! Much love in your endeavors
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

Mmj85

09 Dec 2017

Just wanted to say thank you Delora Software for the integration that rsTouch offers in Reason.
I recently purchased the IOS app for my iPad and wow just crazy fun to use!
The (Master/Device/Perform/Mixer) Tabs are brilliant.
This is a must have app for every Reason user with an iPad.
$20 well spent :D

amcjen

09 Dec 2017

Delora Software wrote:
amcjen wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Thanks Allison!

Speaking of congrats, I've been silently lurking on your "SSL hardware controller" thread. Very cool with lots of good ideas from you and the other active participants. I especially admire that you quickly moved from conceptual design to actually making something real happen.

The economics of a hardware control surface product are pretty challenging so your open-hardware/crowd-sourced/DIY platform approach is I think spot on. Plus the underlying design concept can be applied to other types of control surfaces beyond the SSL/mixer realm. Great start!

[Anyone reading this who is not aware of SSL hardware controller project should see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7502789]
I somehow missed this wonderful reply! Thank you so much, very kind words. :).

I’ll do everything I can to make it successful. I’ve been time-limited for the last two months (which is kinda frustrating, won’t lie), but will regain momentum soon.

- Allie

Delora Software

10 Dec 2017

Mmj85 wrote:
09 Dec 2017
Just wanted to say thank you Delora Software for the integration that rsTouch offers in Reason.
I recently purchased the IOS app for my iPad and wow just crazy fun to use!
The (Master/Device/Perform/Mixer) Tabs are brilliant.
This is a must have app for every Reason user with an iPad.
$20 well spent :D
Thank you so much!
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Faastwalker

11 Dec 2017

I need to get this. Reason user with an iPad. No idea why I've not taken the plunge already! I think I've previously been put off by the set-up requirements. Was probably concerned I'd buy the App then struggle to get it working. But it's not that big a deal to set-up is it? I connect my iPad to PC via WiFi network. I used to have an IK IRig MIDI interface for iPad. But it was 30-pin & I have a lightning iPad now. Didn't bother buying a newer iRig MIDI.

Delora Software

11 Dec 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Dec 2017
I need to get this. Reason user with an iPad. No idea why I've not taken the plunge already! I think I've previously been put off by the set-up requirements. Was probably concerned I'd buy the App then struggle to get it working. But it's not that big a deal to set-up is it? I connect my iPad to PC via WiFi network. I used to have an IK IRig MIDI interface for iPad. But it was 30-pin & I have a lightning iPad now. Didn't bother buying a newer iRig MIDI.
You may want to take a look at the video and other information on this webpage: http://www.delora.com/products/rstouch/rstsetup/. That should give you some idea of what set up is about. The user manual that can also be download from the same page has a set up section, and there are FAQ's here: http://www.delora.com/faqs/rstouchfaq/.

If you are able to connect from your iPad to a network MIDI session on your PC then you have most of the battle won. However, if you have not already set up rtpMIDI on your PC then you should look that over (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html).

We provide support through email (support <AT> delora.com) so if you run into any problems we are available to help. There is a support feature from inside rsTouch that makes it simple to email us. If you use that then the email will automatically include basic information about what iDevice you have and what version of iOS it is running. Or you can just send us an email by whatever method you prefer. Regardless of how contact us please be detailed and thorough when describing your situation.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them here, or using email.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Arrant
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2017

Just tried this now and as someone who spends most days juggling a mouse in an office, I am eager to use other tools when making music. Running wifi MIDI from an oldish ipad Air to a Win7 PC works smoothly, and I like how the device panels are laid out. It's also really nice to look at the device panels on a bigish ipad screen instead of the teenie tiny micro reason rack devices on my PC monitor.
Instrument support is decent, although some popular instruments are missing.
The amount of effects in the prop shop is a lot bigger than the number of instruments though, and here I found perhaps some bigger letdowns. So please continue adding device support. My personal request would be the REQ131, which is a really handy EQ but is a pain (for me) to use in the rack, I think it would work really really well with rsTouch (hint hint).
Verdict: Recommended!

Faastwalker

11 Dec 2017

Delora Software wrote:
11 Dec 2017
If you are able to connect from your iPad to a network MIDI session on your PC then you have most of the battle won. However, if you have not already set up rtpMIDI on your PC then you should look that over (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html).
Thanks for the info & links. I'll give them a look over ;) I have managed to connect my iPad to my WiFi network (PC is also on WiFi connection due to proximity to router / Network port) to use Liine Lemur to control devices in Reason. Works very well. I set this up a while ago & I don't think I used rtpMIDI or anything like this though.

Delora Software

12 Dec 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Dec 2017
Delora Software wrote:
11 Dec 2017
Thanks for the info & links. I'll give them a look over ;) I have managed to connect my iPad to my WiFi network (PC is also on WiFi connection due to proximity to router / Network port) to use Liine Lemur to control devices in Reason. Works very well. I set this up a while ago & I don't think I used rtpMIDI or anything like this though.
The Lemur uses its own proprietary way of sending MIDI over a network (the "Lemur Daemon"). It works well for its intended purpose, but is different from rtpMIDI. Success with the Lemur does not necessarily imply that you will have a smooth rtpMIDI experience. There is though a way with the Lemur to send MIDI through conventional MIDI. So you could use one of your existing Lemur templates to experiment with rtpMIDI and get familiar with it.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Delora Software

12 Dec 2017

Arrant wrote:
11 Dec 2017
Just tried this now and as someone who spends most days juggling a mouse in an office, I am eager to use other tools when making music. Running wifi MIDI from an oldish ipad Air to a Win7 PC works smoothly, and I like how the device panels are laid out. It's also really nice to look at the device panels on a bigish ipad screen instead of the teenie tiny micro reason rack devices on my PC monitor.
Instrument support is decent, although some popular instruments are missing.
The amount of effects in the prop shop is a lot bigger than the number of instruments though, and here I found perhaps some bigger letdowns. So please continue adding device support. My personal request would be the REQ131, which is a really handy EQ but is a pain (for me) to use in the rack, I think it would work really really well with rsTouch (hint hint).
Verdict: Recommended!
We added support for most of LabOne's REs a while back. At that time there were issues with the REQ131's Remote implementation that kept us from supporting it. I'll have to circle back to it to see if those have been rectified.

Generally speaking, we prioritize which REs we add based on user feedback, our own sense of what would be a worthwhile addition, and how willing the RE developer is to support our efforts. We place a high priority on Propellerhead devices, especially those that are considered part of the standard Reason offering.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

• Information