Propellerhead Releases Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Is your brain broken?? I quoted you saying it 'doesn't' I proved it does. You never said it moves in a straight line you said It doesn't. You're making a mountain out of a molehill!
I never said IT DOESN'T as if IT CAN'T like you have interpreted. You have strange reading comprehension going on.
Would ye give over.... Its okay to be wrong it doesn't make you less smart.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

Sorry guys, I know I'm responsible for this thread derailment (hangs head in shame - should know better by now), so as a mod and as a member I apologize and ask everyone (myself included) to move on!
Nothing to be gained by digging in and defending your ground now.
Start a new thread if you want to continue your side-discussions, feel free to post the link here - otherwise, back to R10 specific posts please!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017

I never said IT DOESN'T as if IT CAN'T like you have interpreted. You have strange reading comprehension going on.
Re read everything I typed in context, following the actual chain of conversation, using normal reading comprehension and the English language. Thanks.

I'm done banging my head against a brick wall now. See ya guys later.

Psuper

27 Oct 2017

Hard time following that midi velocity banter, but entertaining I suppose even though little was learned!

I'll throw in my 2c that may or may not help:

Specific velocity values during a "performance" only *really* matters in midi with modeled instruments (like pianoteq), and even then the impact is minimal. If you are the one performing it, you know where you want your dynamics and can pretty much draw a straight line through averages in areas and it will sound the same, as most music ebbs and flows in swaths. Now if that 'performance' itself is so stellar with impeccable velocity pressure and you want to recreate it... leave it alone or surgically adjust.

I only surgically adjust piano performances, dip the highest points and bring up the lowest if necessary.

As for v.10, I do miss grain as I had a nice "wow" moment or two with it in beta, but still can't justify the upgrade for many reasons previously discussed.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Re read everything I typed in context, following the actual chain of conversation, using normal reading comprehension and the English language. Thanks.

I'm done banging my head against a brick wall now. See ya guys later.
Okay bye bye....
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

FlowerSoldier

27 Oct 2017

Ummm....so is anyone else really excited about Stranger Things se2?

Aosta

27 Oct 2017

FlowerSoldier wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Ummm....so is anyone else really excited about Stranger Things se2?
I think this thread is strange enough...so Reason 10 and stuff?
Tend the flame

AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

Strangerer things.

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Okay bye bye....
Hey, Guy. I was only leaving because a moderator asked us to. You don't need to keep going. I know reading is difficult but practice makes perfect!

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Okay bye bye....
Hey, Guy. I was only leaving because a moderator asked us to. You don't need to keep going. I know reading is difficult but practice makes perfect!
No personal attacks. Move on, please.
Selig Audio, LLC

DonnieAlan

27 Oct 2017

I've been using Reason as a regular staple in my set-up since Reason 4, and I've upgraded along the way when there were significant improvements to operation, such as we saw in Reason 7 and 9.5. As I've said many times, the addition of VST hosting has made Reason one of the most powerful and versatile virtual instruments in the world as it can now be, in effect, ALL VI's, because of Reason's unique rack architecture. As a rack of VI's and effects, Reason has always been superb. Even before the days of 3rd party RE's, when everything was a P-head product, Reason had plenty to offer with their unique fx, instruments, and, of course, the amazing Combinator which allows so many creative ways for sound design.

While the addition of the new instruments is nice, and certainly there are many Reason users for whom these additions will be welcome, for me personally, it wasn't enough of an incentive to upgrade just yet. I don't need more VI's, and even though the 5 are nice and have some great sounds to them, I have other VI's just as nice, and so there's not much benefit to me to, essentially, just add VIs to what I already have.

So, for now, I'll work with 9.5.x until there's an upgrade that adds some significant new functionality and enhancements. I'd like to see MIDI routing added, so that we can route MIDI outputs (from any device that allows MIDI out) to any device's midi IN on the rack or in a Combinator. I'd like to see MIDI IN/OUT ports on the back of the rack, just like the audio/CV ports, wit the ability to put the virtual cables wherever we'd like. Or even to an external hardware device. Add MIDI OUT ports to the players, such as the Dual Arp. Imagine the possibilities with sending MIDI out for Layer 1 to one device and layer 2 to another. Or, having them go through a MIDI splitter to multiple devices in whatever combination we want. Now THAT would be a great upgrade!

OR or better yet AND...make it so VST hosting can take place with Reason in slave mode. There are many, many Reason users who, like me, do not use Reason as their primary DAW, but love it as a powerful instrument. It was disappointing to discover when 9.5 was released that the fantastic new feature of hosting VSTs in the rack was not available with Reason in slave mode. Allow that, and that would be another great upgrade, and one which, I know would attract a lot of new users, or give incentive to long time users who haven't upgraded since 6 or 7.

Again, I'm not being critical of the P-heads or Reason. It is still a fabulous instrument and one I recommend often to folks asking what they should buy. But, until there's some significant functionality additions, such as those I mentioned, I'm holding off on the upgrade.

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

DonnieAlan wrote:
27 Oct 2017
OR or better yet AND...make it so VST hosting can take place with Reason in slave mode.
Agree with everything you say (except reason is my one and only DAW), but I believe this is a technical limitation of rewire technology. At least according to the livestream.

Dante

27 Oct 2017

I agree there are some long overdue MIDI editing functionality needed in Reason. I can get by without them but I hope they become the Props focus for the next point release. However I can see why they did content upgrade and the new instruments are welcome. I think they will attract more new users to the platform and the new synths are definitely worth the upgrade price. But hopefully us old users will get some workflow love now with both MIDI and Folder Tracks in the sequencer (both features I miss due to being an ex-Cubase user)

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

I'm deleting post that are off topic by those who have been asked to stop posting off topic. Further posting will result in a warning. Further warnings will result in a ban. That is all.
Selig Audio, LLC

WongoTheSane

27 Oct 2017

Yeah, sorry guys, we're deleting memes and off-topic comments from this thread from now on. The topic is "Propellerhead Releases Reason 10", the popcorn will be served in the Kitchen where it belongs (and is welcome), and we all love each other, differences and all. Peace and prosperity.

brand

27 Oct 2017

Just upgraded. I love it; albeit, I've barely scratched the surface on the new content. For some reason, I started by taking a look at Radical Piano. It's great! Anyway, great job, PH. :thumbs_up:

kungubu

27 Oct 2017

Thought I would skip R10 and be satisfied with Expanse and Proton. The sparse back of Europa and Grain was a huge disappointment – even if the players should have been a warning sign – and I don't need any romplers. But after playing around with Europa and Grain for a couple of hours I must say that I'm really impressed by their capability, ease of use, and how fun they are to work with. Europas Verbos-like interface is pleasing and it's really fast and self-explanatory to work with – you hit some sweet-spots in no time from init. Grain is even more impressive - it's the most intuitive granular synth/sampler I've tried and you can get some results fast (no problem to get it to sound like a Morphagene). The back is of course an issue – especially Grains mod matrix gets crowded pretty fast if you use it in the rack – but I can't find any issues with how they sound. I think they sound really good... So in my opinion, Europa and Grain make R10 the best release in a long time...

AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

Where do bugs get reported now? bugs@propellerheads.se

This I have never seen nearly sure its a bug. I use position of midi notes like this nearly all the time. The sequencer moves on zoom. Follow is disabled.

WongoTheSane

27 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017

This I have never seen nearly sure its a bug. I use position of midi notes like this nearly all the time. The sequencer moves on zoom. Follow is disabled.
It might simply be the consequence of having a "scroll into view" rule when changing the position of a note (which makes senses most times). Try this: select a note, and scroll the window so that note falls outside. Change the position like you just did: it jumps into view, its left side aligned with the window's left side. The idea being that if you position a note, you most probably want to see exactly where it lands. It also does this when changing the pitch, but not when changing its length (that's weird). If you select a note that's into view and press either the left or right arrow on the keyboard to select the previous/next note, they will also scroll into view if they're not.

The problem you're seeing seems to come from the fact that when the note is zoomed in so much that it doesn't fit into the window anymore, it does the same thing, but then it centers the note on the screen because that's a rule applied when a note (or group of selected notes) doesn't fit... so the note is first aligned to the left of the window, then the window is scrolled to the middle point of the note. As it happens almost simultaneously, it seems weird.

Just a hunch though, tbh I had never noticed it until you pointed it out :)

AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
27 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017

It might simply be the consequence of having a "scroll into view" rule when changing the position of a note (which makes senses most times). Try this: select a note, and scroll the window so that note falls outside. Change the position like you just did: it jumps into view, its left side aligned with the window's left side. The idea being that if you position a note, you most probably want to see exactly where it lands. It also does this when changing the pitch, but not when changing its length (that's weird). If you select a note that's into view and press either the left or right arrow on the keyboard to select the previous/next note, they will also scroll into view if they're not.

The problem you're seeing seems to come from the fact that when the note is zoomed in so much that it doesn't fit into the window anymore, it does the same thing, but then it centers the note on the screen because that's a rule applied when a note (or group of selected notes) doesn't fit... so the note is first aligned to the left of the window, then the window is scrolled to the middle point of the note. As it happens almost simultaneously, it seems weird.

Never happened to me before this is new... If I record notes my timing sucks so I'm always early or late but I would zoom far into the left marker and position the note (dragging the ticks up/down) to fall on or just after the bar mark so I can loop it for about 20 mins or until I think of something else to add to it. What is this scroll into view and how do I ignore/disable it? Follow, F key do you mean?

WongoTheSane

27 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017
WongoTheSane wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Never happened to me before this is new... If I record notes my timing sucks so I'm always early or late but I would zoom far into the left marker and position the note (dragging the ticks up/down) to fall on or just after the bar mark so I can loop it for about 20 mins or until I think of something else to add to it. What is this scroll into view and how do I ignore/disable it? Follow, F key do you mean?
Scroll into view cannot be disabled, it's the way programs handle visible objects on screen. For example, if you scroll through patches in the browser, and the currently selected one is at the bottom of the browser, but there are more below: press the down arrow, and everything will scroll up by one line so you can see the newly selected patch, which is now at the bottom. Otherwise, the selection would be outside the browser's window and wouldn't be visible. Of if you find a word on a web page, the browser will scroll the view so that the found word is in the middle of the screen.

But I'm not sure I'm on your page: I've watched your video several times and I'm not getting the same result. I've tested to reproduce that and get the same results in both R8 and R10, with one quirk I just discovered that doesn't show on your video. So I'm not sure I got you right. Here's how it goes:

- Select a note
- Zoom so that it's bigger than the window (it should extend both to the left and to the right)
- Click on the ticks to move the note, don't release the mouse just yet
- Picture a vertical line going through the position marker:

line.JPG
line.JPG (13.8 KiB) Viewed 3568 times

Now, if you move the mouse below that line, the window will scroll automatically to align the left side of the note to the left border of the window. If the mouse is above that line, the right side of the note will be aligned to the right border of the window (cue Twilight Zone).

Is it what you're seeing? When you start moving the mouse at 0:50, the right border of the window is cropped so I can't see...

Puniho

28 Oct 2017

After reading about midi velocities, I just thought I'd chip in ...anyone noticed that it is impossible to mute the midi notes in the sampled Soundiron instruments with the described method however you do it? With a velocity of 1 there is still a considerable volume on most instruments.

MirEko

28 Oct 2017

Puniho wrote:
28 Oct 2017
After reading about midi velocities, I just thought I'd chip in ...anyone noticed that it is impossible to mute the midi notes in the sampled Soundiron instruments with the described method however you do it? With a velocity of 1 there is still a considerable volume on most instruments.
Is there a volume or velocity scaling knob?
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2017

Has anyone compared the DSP usage between R9 and R10? According to this video there's a significant improved performance with VSTs.
Can anyone confirm or do some testing?
Has the DSP usage also been improved with REs?

• Information