Propellerhead Releases Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

27 Oct 2017

Reminiscence wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Do you need an ignition key to install Reason 10? My installation gives me an error: Ignition key driver could not be started. Contacted support already.
No, but if you don't authorize an Ignition Key or authorize your computer, you won't be able to use it offline and will have to log in all of the time. That said, it sounds like you have a possible Codemeter issue. Let us know when support gets you sorted.

That said, if you don't want to wait around for them to respond, try this:
Ignition Key Driver could not be started

Are you getting a message that says “Ignition Key Driver could not be started” or “Could not start Ignition Key Driver”? Most likely this is happening because your antivirus software is preventing the CodeMeter service from running. Especially F-Secure antivirus software has proven to be particularly troublesome.

To solve this, please try:
  • Turn off the “Deep Guard” F-Secure function. Note that adding CodeMeter to the list of “good” programs does not work.
  • Move to a different antivirus solution
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

27 Oct 2017

RoryM0 wrote:
27 Oct 2017
I found this community after becoming interested in Reason, I joined in June and visit regularly but have posted only on a couple of occasions, but I feel like there is a lot of negativity on here whenever I visit, and am teaching myself to visit less often (atm it's like a habit, open browser, go to Reasontalk first, then email, hardcore, etc.) because I'm a bit bored of the gigantic moan-gasm that this forum sometimes appears to be.
This saddens me, because this is the feeling I get after hanging out at KVR for a bit. I never thought Reasontalk had a negative bunch; just a few very vocal detractors that enjoy stirring things up. Mods are great about keeping them in check, though (there's much better moderation here than at KVR). Don't give up on this lot just yet!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Reminiscence

27 Oct 2017

Thanks Loque and EnochLight! Reinstalled the Authorizer and started the codemeter service which was disabled solved the problem. Will check in with you after a marathon run this weekend. :-)

RoryM0

27 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2017
RoryM0 wrote:
27 Oct 2017
I found this community after becoming interested in Reason, I joined in June and visit regularly but have posted only on a couple of occasions, but I feel like there is a lot of negativity on here whenever I visit, and am teaching myself to visit less often (atm it's like a habit, open browser, go to Reasontalk first, then email, hardcore, etc.) because I'm a bit bored of the gigantic moan-gasm that this forum sometimes appears to be.
This saddens me, because this is the feeling I get after hanging out at KVR for a bit. I never thought Reasontalk had a negative bunch; just a few very vocal detractors that enjoy stirring things up. Mods are great about keeping them in check, though (there's much better moderation here than at KVR). Don't give up on this lot just yet!
I did used to go to KVR before I found Reasontalk actually, but totally stopped visiting that place because one individual whom I think you are probably familiar with. The threads concerning the 9.5 announcement were toxic. Just stopped going to the website altogether. Haha I won't give up! Perhaps I'm allowing the more vocal detractors to twist my perception a bit. It IS great to have this community :) Peace out.

Psuper

27 Oct 2017

This community here is most definitely not "negative".

There's plenty of opinions, but a far more mature group of active users who can state what they like and don't like, all without the drama.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Shokstar

27 Oct 2017

Reason 10 skipped, I´m excited about R11 :)

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
You end up with all velocities at the same level!
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Maybe I’m just one of the few who doesn’t have all velocities at the same level on my note tracks?
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
You are the one suggesting all velocities would be the same.

Uh.. I have no idea what thread you're reading anymore.

I'M the one saying they're NOT going to be the same. Swipe left to right, adjust the wave, wrist movement makes the magic happen, etc. YOU're the one saying the velocities would be the same. See your previous comments! Seriously I have no idea what you're going on about!

This is basic MIDI editing 101 I'm talking about here. AttenuationHz posted a GIF showing how to do exactly what I'm talking about on the previous page. See the GIF. Thank you.

I've never needed to mute a MIDI note in my life. I never even thought about one of the 3 options I presented to solve this "problem" as a workaround, I merely thought of it as different ways to edit MIDI. I do this stuff all day long and couldn't care less about muting a MIDI note. But as I've explained, there are 3 perfectly Reasonable ways to do what you need to do.

I feel like sometimes people just spend all their time focusing on the negative and arguing on forums and not getting work done.

AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
You end up with all velocities at the same level!
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Maybe I’m just one of the few who doesn’t have all velocities at the same level on my note tracks?
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
You are the one suggesting all velocities would be the same.

I'M the one saying they're NOT going to be the same. Swipe left to right, adjust the wave, wrist movement makes the magic happen, etc. YOU're the one saying the velocities would be the same. See your previous comments! Seriously I have no idea what you're going on about!

This is basic MIDI editing 101 I'm talking about here. AttenuationHz posted a GIF showing how to do exactly what I'm talking about on the previous page. See the GIF. Thank you.

I've never needed to mute a MIDI note in my life. I never even thought about one of the 3 options I presented to solve this "problem" as a workaround, I merely thought of it as different ways to edit MIDI. I do this stuff all day long and couldn't care less about muting a MIDI note. But as I've explained, there are 3 perfectly Reasonable ways to do what you need to do.

I feel like sometimes people just spend all their time focusing on the negative and arguing on forums and not getting work done.

Just for the record that GIF's intended purpose was to show you that the pencil tool does move in a straight line as you stated:
Don't know if you're intentionally ignoring the fact that the pencil tool doesn't move in a straight line,
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017

From what I've read Selig actually is getting the work done with his own workaround for this as well, which he explained in this thread. He is just saying they're not the same.

It works like this. Years ago I recorded a piano part from a classically trained pianist, and his playing was very expressive. If I started muting notes with this workaround, it's highly unlikely I'll be able to make a good job of restoring them in a way that fits in with the rest of his playing.

It's something that, when you have it, you'll know why you would want a real mute function.

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Just for the record that GIF's intended purpose was to show you that the pencil tool does move in a straight line as you stated:
You guys are all drunk. I NEVER STATED IT MOVES IN A STRAIGHT LINE. Quote me saying it moves in a straight line.

The pencil tool CLEARLY moves in as straight a line as you want it to. What happens when you swipe L to R up and down? You make a velocity WAVE. The velocities on which you swipe take the shape of a wave. Waves are not straight. the GIF CLEARLY shows velocities being adjusted according to your hand movements. The GIF shows exactly what I've been describing. What on earth are you people smoking? The GIF is doing EXACTLY what I have been saying all along happens when you swipe with the pencil tool. Its not a straight line unless you can move your hand in a straight line. When you select only the notes you want, then hold shift and swipe across the velocities, you're only adjusting the velocities you selected and the velocities are being adjusted exactly as your hand moves over them, which is NOT in a straight line.
Last edited by sublunar on 27 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

avasopht wrote:
27 Oct 2017
It's something that, when you have it, you'll know why you would want a real mute function.
Because copying the MIDI notes is too much work? LOL How is copying all the midi notes at once more work than clicking the mute button on each individual MIDI note?

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

Actually you show both ways to do it in the GIF! First you're freehanding. AKA NOT A STRAIGHT LINE. Next, you bust out some straight line voodo shit, the likes of which I've never seen. I don't even know how you got it to edit in a straight line, like when you made the ramp. But your GIF CLEAR AS DAY shows multiple ways, the freehand wave NOT straight line and then the straight line voodoo shit.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017

To be specific, I was reading you say this:

"Or select the specific notes, hit f8 > Note Velocity > and set the velocity to a static value and apply. then they're all the exact static value you want"

And I was asking what you would do if you did NOT want them all to be the same static values as you suggested. I thought you AND I were clear on at least that point, but I understand things can get lost in the back and forth online conversations.

Your following comment probably explains why there's confusion with your suggestion - if you needed this feature, you'd probably understand what I (and others) are talking about here:
sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017

I really don't see anyone here focusing on the negating and arguing, and I'm actually getting work done between posts as I hope you are too! I was simply trying to explain why your suggestion won''t work in all cases, and presented a common case to make my point. I'm still not sure how to explain my situation more clearly, and am willing to put it down to my reply not being clearly written in the first place.

I do appreciate you trying to help, and for keeping things positive even in our confusion!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

Do these velocities look like a straight line? Do these velocities all have the same value?

NO THEY DON'T. WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DRINKING?
Attachments
NOTSTRAIGHTLINE - Copy.JPG
NOTSTRAIGHTLINE - Copy.JPG (75.7 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
Last edited by sublunar on 27 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
avasopht wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Because copying the MIDI notes is too much work? LOL How is copying all the midi notes at once more work than clicking the mute button on each individual MIDI note?
The feature suggestion would allow you to select a range of notes, and mute - just like you can currently select a range of clips and mute them (or copy/paste them as you mention above). I agree, having to mute each note (or clip) individually would make no sense whatsoever!

Muting individual notes also is very handy to some folk's workflow. Even if you don't want this feature, you can still appreciate someone else wanting it, no?
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017

To be specific, I was reading you say this:

"Or select the specific notes, hit f8 > Note Velocity > and set the velocity to a static value and apply. then they're all the exact static value you want"
IF you want the notes to be a specific static value, then you can tell them to be a static value using the F8 option. That's ONE of the 3 methods I suggested employing. I followed this up with using the randomize to make them random values.

My typing may appear to be mad, but I'm chill. Just trying to be VERY CLEAR

:cool:

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Muting individual notes also is very handy to some folk's workflow. Even if you don't want this feature, you can still appreciate someone else wanting it, no?
Yes, but when there are multiple easy, quick, not even remotely tedious ways of doing it, then it just sounds kinda silly. There are real workflow and feature issues in Reason that don't have such "workarounds" so complaining of something this small just seems like they need to spend more time playing around with MIDI editing tricks because it's really not a brick wall issue like some things are in our beloved Reason.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Do these velocities look like a straight line? Do these velocities all have the same value?

Dude, not sure why I'm having to explain this, but here it is.

If you record MIDI from a keyboard, you end up with varying velocities (unless you turn off Velocity on your keyboard). For a piano performance (as we were talking about, if I'm not mistaken), these velocities control the dynamics, and are an important part of the recorded performance. You may as well have said: "Why not just delete the notes, then draw them back in with the mouse when you're done?" Same problem - they weren't drawn with a mouse in the first place!

My point: We do NOT want to throw away these velocities and draw them back in, as it would be IMPOSSIBLE to ever re-create that specific performance with a mouse!

Maybe you don't record with a MIDI controller? I don't know how else to explain it.

I suggest we all take a break from this side-topic for now if there's no more to add, or start a new thread if you want to know why specific velocities recorded from a MIDI controller are important to some producers. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Maybe you don't record with a MIDI controller? I don't know how else to explain it.
I swear you guys added a bit too much of the hard stuff into your coffee this morning.

Yes, I record with a MIDI controller. ALL THE TIME. Yes I adjust velocities with pencil tool ALL THE TIME. Yes it works LIKE A WET DREAM.

If you were recording Frédéric Chopin himself and didn't want to bork the velocities in the slightest, there's a simple tool you can use. It's called CTRL + C. This tool makes it possible to reproduce the EXACT EVERYTHING you EVER WANTED IN LIFE. Try it, you'll like it!

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017

I swear you guys added a bit too much of the hard stuff into your coffee this morning.

Yes, I record with a MIDI controller. ALL THE TIME. Yes I adjust velocities with pencil tool ALL THE TIME. Yes it works LIKE A WET DREAM.

If you were recording Frédéric Chopin himself and didn't want to bork the velocities in the slightest, there's a simple tool you can use. It's called CTRL + C. This tool makes it possible to reproduce the EXACT EVERYTHING you EVER WANTED IN LIFE. Try it, you'll like it!
Was going to say the same thing about you! What are YOU drinking? ;)

Seriously, you can never hand-draw the recorded velocities back in with ANY accuracy, unless you're talking about a handful of notes. If you believe otherwise, you and I will simply have to agree to disagree! Nothing you've said so far proves otherwise, so let's have another cup of whatever we're drinking and move on to another subject!
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

27 Oct 2017

Obligatory...

trainn.jpg
trainn.jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 3311 times

So, Reason 10. Yay!

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
My point: We do NOT want to throw away these velocities and draw them back in, as it would be IMPOSSIBLE to ever re-create that specific performance with a mouse!
CTRL + C

CTRL + DRAG TRACK

CTRL+ LIFE

I'm astounded and impressed at the perceived limitations here.
Last edited by sublunar on 27 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
CTRL + C

CTRL + DRAG TRACK

CTRL+ LIFE
Yes, I do that all the time, and that's a great suggestion (unlike your suggestion to mute notes).
by drawing velocity to zero). ;)

But now you're changing the subject, which is probably a good idea, so…

Reason 10, Yay - I'm off to work on Reason!
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
If you can't draw MIDI notes with reasonable accuracy then I feel sorry for ya son. I got 99 problems but MIDI ain't one.

And let the record show I provided THREE options to get around this "problem".

Seriously though, all due respect, you make great RE's sir.

:P

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
If you can't draw MIDI notes with reasonable accuracy then I feel sorry for ya son. I got 99 problems but MIDI ain't one.

Seriously though, all due respect, you make great RE's sir.

:P

That's NOT WHAT I WAS SAYING - and I HOPE you knew that and were just being cheeky.
Cause otherwise you're not even trying to understand my point.

Please, let's move on - Reason 10, yay… ;(

If you still don't understand why what you said won't work for me, here's a piano I recorded recently. I'll delete the velocities, you draw them back in as they were - GO! (how long will it take you, and how accurate will they be when you're done?)
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.17.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.17.59 AM.png (472.63 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information