Propellerhead Releases Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sublunar

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
how long will it take you, and how accurate will they be when you're done?
Look how close the velocities are in relation to each other. It barely matters in this case. You should have used a file with wildly different velocities to make it harder and to help prove the point. In this case, it would take about 10 seconds tops with the pencil tool and since the velocities are so close together, it would not be a perceived difference in sound. Because the sound is all that matters.

Want them exact? CTRL + C. Want them all in the same ballpark with varying degrees of velocity? F8 > Note Velocity will get you there. 3 different ways to do it off the top of my head.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
how long will it take you, and how accurate will they be when you're done?
Look how close the velocities are in relation to each other. It barely matters in this case. You should have used a file with wildly different velocities to make it harder and to help prove the point. In this case, it would take about 10 seconds tops and since the velocities are so close together, it would not be a perceived difference in sound. Because the sound is all that matters.

Want them exact? CTRL + C. Want them all in the same ballpark with varying degrees of velocity? F8 > Note Velocity will get you there.
Really? You've got balls the size of church bells, I'll give you that. ;)
(that's a compliment, not a slam, btw)
Moving on…
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

Seriously man. You just have to look at their current position and how you know the song feels. Select the notes you want to change, click the pencil tool, hold shift and swipe from left to right, going up and down as needed. Listen and adjust if necessary. Not a problem.

But again, if I was recording a paying client, like Chopin himself, I would probably not use the pencil tool. I would use CTRL + C to make sure it was precisely how they remembered it. If it was me playing, then everything is fair game. The velocity is a tool I can adjust ex post facto to achieve whatever sound I want, thanks to the magic of computers. And I adjust my playing with the pencil tool all the effing time. All the time.
Last edited by sublunar on 27 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Seriously man. You just have to look at their current position and how you know the song feels. Select the notes you want to change, click the pencil tool, hold shift and swipe from left to right, going up and down as needed. Listen and adjust if necessary. Not a problem.
You realize the suggested feature would take mere seconds to achieve - what you're describing above should take how long?

OK I'll bite, here's the track: Let's hear the magic!
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.29.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.29.08 AM.png (436.04 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
SeligPiano.mid.zip
(2.97 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
[The game is afoot - the file has been downloaded!]
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

I'm amazed you have such a hard time believing this is possible. I'm not a wizard. This isn't magic. It's basic MIDI editing 101. Anyone can do this. It's easy. Don't you people ever edit your own MIDI notes with the pencil? What's so difficult for you guys to understand?

Only thing is I probably won't be able to get it back to you right away. I'm currently at work typing from the middle of a row of cubicles in an IT job. I get on here between calls and stuff. But I ain't scared.

But it's kinda unfair off the bat. Provide the source for me to inspect and you're on. Or at the very least, the audio exported so I can HEAR it. See, if this was you or I editing our own track, we'd have all the source material to base our pencil strokes upon. You're challenging me to replicate EVERYTHING based on a jpg. FUTHERMORE, the conversation was muting certain notes like the bass keys, for example. Not the WHOLE THING. But I realize you're trying to throw the gauntlet to prove a point. I don't get to click on certain notes to see their original velocity, etc. It's rigged but still VERY POSSIBLE.

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

Here's a 5 second job. f8 > velocity 100 > Random 20%. Just going off the jpg you provided. 5 seconds, without the pencil or even listening to it.

Obviously this won't sound right, but it gets everything in the ballpark. No pencil tool used to fine tune.

Use the pencil tool, compare to the source, listen and it's not difficult. VERY POSSIBLE to get it to sound the same with minimal effort.
Attachments
f8100random20 - Copy.JPG
f8100random20 - Copy.JPG (165.11 KiB) Viewed 2425 times

AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
26 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017

Don’t know if you’re intentionally ignoring my point - you can’t restore all the various velocities with your technique. You end up with all velocities at the same level! That’s not how “I” play piano…I’m not THAT good!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Don't know if you're intentionally ignoring the fact that the pencil tool doesn't move in a straight line, it goes where you draw it. You certainly don't end up with all velocities at the same level unless your mouse hand is as steady and straight as a ruler. That's not how I mouse, I'm not THAT good!

:P
sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Just for the record that GIF's intended purpose was to show you that the pencil tool does move in a straight line as you stated:
You guys are all drunk. I NEVER STATED IT MOVES IN A STRAIGHT LINE. Quote me saying it moves in a straight line.
Okay sure.... You said it doesn't I provided you with the info saying it does and that was all I didn't say you didn't say it does move in a straight line.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 27 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Here's a 5 second job. f8 > velocity 100 > Random 20%. Just going off the jpg you provided. 5 seconds, without the pencil or even listening to it.

Obviously this won't sound right, but it gets everything in the ballpark. No pencil tool used to fine tune.

Use the pencil tool, compare to the source, listen and it's not difficult. VERY POSSIBLE to get it to sound the same with minimal effort.
I rest my case.

To paraphrase a famous quote: if it sounds wrong, it IS wrong.
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Okay sure....
You didn't quote me saying the pencil tool moves in a straight line so I'm confused what you're getting at. I never said it moves in a straight line. Quote me saying that.

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017

I rest my case.

You proved nothing. I explained that was 5 seconds WITHOUT THE SOURCE. WITHOUT HEARING IT. LOL. Nice try though.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017

I rest my case.

You proved nothing. I explained that was 5 seconds WITHOUT THE SOURCE. WITHOUT HEARING IT. LOL. Nice try though.
Nice try, indeed. Why did you even post that then?

OK, I've made my point, you've made yours, let's go enjoy a nice cuppa and some Reason 10.

Reason 10. yay. :(
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017

I rest my case.

I'm amazed you think it's so difficult to use the pencil tool to make MIDI sound right. It's truly impressive the lengths you will go to try to stick to that perceived limitation. I do not perceive this limitation in my life.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
27 Oct 2017

I rest my case.

I'm amazed you think it's so difficult to use the pencil tool to make MIDI sound right. It's truly impressive the lengths you will go to try to stick to that perceived limitation. I do not perceive this limitation in my life.
Dude, really? Lets agree to disagree and move on, OK?
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

You challenged me. I'm willing to drop it but you want to try proving a point, then give me the source. Give me a range of notes to restore like the original topic referencing just the bass notes, for example. I never said the WHOLE THING BASED ON A JPG but if you want to play that way give me the source. Let me hear and see the original, LIKE A REAL CASE scenario. Or just move on with your perceived MIDI limitations.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Give me the source. Give me a range of notes to restore like the original topic referencing just the bass notes, for example. I never said the WHOLE THING but if you want to play that way give me the source. Let me hear and see the original, LIKE A REAL CASE scenario. Or just move along with your perceived MIDI limitations.
DUDE, SERIOUSLY. Move on.

Provide your own example if you want to prove your MIDI-fu here.
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

LOL. Sorry I showed you how easy it is.

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

My own source would be meaningless to you wouldn't it? I DO IT ALL DAY LONG. I'm sorry you aren't willing to go through with your own challenge. I'm here at work but I told you I was willing.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
LOL. Sorry I showed you how easy it is.
Please, no need to apologize. Just move on!

This time, as a mod, I insist - move on. You can start your own thread and do whatever you like.
See you there!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Okay sure.... You said it doesn't I provided you with the info saying it does and that was all I didn't say you didn't say it does move in a straight line.
FFS DUDE.

I wasn't saying IT CANNOT. I was saying it doesn't BY DEFAULT. You knew a keyboard trick to get it to move in a striaght line. I NEVER DENIED the existence of such a thing, I MERELY pointed out that by default the pencil MOVES WITH YOUR HAND. YOU CAN MAKE WAVES. It's NOT A STRAIGHT LINE BY DEFAULT.

Seriously can I get some of what you guys are on?

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

Reason 10, YAY!!!!!!
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

RE: No MIDI note mute in Reason 10?

Not a limitation. Plenty of quick and easy ways to achieve the result. End of story.

selig
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
RE: No MIDI note mute in Reason 10?

Not a limitation. Plenty of quick and easy ways to achieve the result. End of story.
NOW will you move on?
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

Yes, I'm moving on now.

PS I went back to the MIDI and adjusted all A2 notes using f8, to Velocity 100 and random 4% and honestly it sounds good as is. Never heard the original, but I humbly ask you to try it. 5 (more) seconds of work was involved. There might be a couple more notes to tweak but very minimal. :thumbs_up: :mrgreen: :P

AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Okay sure....
You didn't quote me saying the pencil tool moves in a straight line so I'm confused what you're getting at. I never said it moves in a straight line. Quote me saying that.
Is your brain broken?? I quoted you saying it 'doesn't' I proved it does. You never said it moves in a straight line you said It doesn't. You're making a mountain out of a molehill!
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 27 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

sublunar

27 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Is your brain broken?? I quoted you saying it 'doesn't' I proved it does. You never said it moves in a straight line you said It doesn't. You're making a mountain out of a molehill!
I never said IT DOESN'T as if IT CAN'T like you have interpreted. You have strange reading comprehension going on.

• Information