Propellerhead Releases Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

31 Oct 2017

dezma wrote:
31 Oct 2017
I logged this issue again with the beta test, they just deleted the ticket.
D'oh! That sucks!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

scratchnsnifff

31 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
31 Oct 2017
dezma wrote:
30 Oct 2017

Yeah tried it a dozen of times. Only things that seem automatable are osc1 to osc3 params then it stops. Did not manage to automate cutoff for example. Click automate then cutoff nothing happens
Which version of Avenger are you on? I'm on 1.2.5, and can automate most of the features on a few oscillators (as many as 1-3 Osc), but yeah - looks like I run out after that point. No effects parameters. No filter parameters. :( Instead of clicking the automate button on the VST window, I'm just tweaking knobs with my mouse in record mode. Looks like there's a bit of work that Vengeance/Props need to work out.
I put avenger in a combinator and am able to map the parameters and automate :) you may not like looking through the long list of “groups” but for avengers macro knobs if I’m remembering correctly it’s in group 40-45 and the filter I believe was somewhere in group 1-10
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

EnochLight

31 Oct 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
31 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
31 Oct 2017

Which version of Avenger are you on? I'm on 1.2.5, and can automate most of the features on a few oscillators (as many as 1-3 Osc), but yeah - looks like I run out after that point. No effects parameters. No filter parameters. :( Instead of clicking the automate button on the VST window, I'm just tweaking knobs with my mouse in record mode. Looks like there's a bit of work that Vengeance/Props need to work out.
I put avenger in a combinator and am able to map the parameters and automate :) you may not like looking through the long list of “groups” but for avengers macro knobs if I’m remembering correctly it’s in group 40-45 and the filter I believe was somewhere in group 1-10
Confirmed. It's a clunky workaround, but at least we can automate it all. Thanks!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

JdA57

31 Oct 2017

dezma wrote:
31 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
31 Oct 2017

It's for props, as avenger automation works perfectly for all parameters in Ableton. Seems they have 9 groups (you can check this in piano roll, if you go to automation). Once that runs out, all other parameters are not automatable. I'd guess this would be a general issue/limitation with all synths with a lot of parameters. The thing that worries me is that props don't seem to care. I get the feeling customer support doesn't seem to be very high on the priority list. I logged this issue again with the beta test, they just deleted the ticket.
Yes, Reason has only this 9 groups. So this affected too some AAS and Arturia-Plugs (and some more). I report this with the first Beta 9.5 too, but props told me 'it's by design' :D - Same now with BETA 10 (they deleted my report too) .

But seems, that they will change this later, because there are as so many VST's that needs some more automation-parameters (I sent them a really long list ;) ) . So we'll see.

EnochLight

31 Oct 2017

dezma wrote:
31 Oct 2017
It's for props, as avenger automation works perfectly for all parameters in Ableton. Seems they have 9 groups (you can check this in piano roll, if you go to automation). Once that runs out, all other parameters are not automatable. I'd guess this would be a general issue/limitation with all synths with a lot of parameters. The thing that worries me is that props don't seem to care. I get the feeling customer support doesn't seem to be very high on the priority list. I logged this issue again with the beta test, they just deleted the ticket.
JdA57 wrote:
31 Oct 2017
Yes, Reason has only this 9 groups. So this affected too some AAS and Arturia-Plugs (and some more). I report this with the first Beta 9.5 too, but props told me 'it's by design' :D - Same now with BETA 10 (they deleted my report too) .

But seems, that they will change this later, because there are as so many VST's that needs some more automation-parameters (I sent them a really long list ;) ) . So we'll see.
Well, as Scratchnsniff pointed out, in the meantime there's always the Combinator route - which exposes every parameter to automation that's available in other DAW.

dezma

31 Oct 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
31 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
31 Oct 2017

Thx for the tip, still a workaround but will work for now

botnotbot

03 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
26 Oct 2017
botnotbot wrote:
26 Oct 2017
So personally I'm primed for a similar three-punch knockout with regards to graphics, but I certainly wouldn't be mad if they addressed the long-term user's workflow grievances first.
That's pretty cool insight - thanks for posting this. That said, about working on your 5K iMac... have you tried the built-in OSX zoom? It works just as awesome as Windows zoom does, or at least very similar to this:

Hey EnochLight, thanks for responding with that tip! Yeah, in fact I've started to use the zoom feature a bit. In fact the tiny graphics issue has not been a huge problem, I was more pointing towards the fact that Props seem to have stomped out the first barrier to entry ("just" having the native devices that were available in R9).

So I'm "primed" for them to do the same to the graphics. I also have a sense that there are probably a lot of workflow things that will get solved at the same time as the graphics.

For instance MIDI routing in the rack -- adding this would revolutionise some aspects of workflow but it would also involve some hefty graphical changes and updates. It doesn't make much sense to make those graphical changes until the new graphics engine (whatever that looks like) is released/in use. So therefore MIDI routing in the rack is (from my armchair analysis) partially blocked by unrelated-at-first-glance changes to rack graphics.

I imagine that the same might be affecting sequencer changes. Maybe we will get a new kind of routable piano roll at the same time as we get MIDI routing, or maybe multi-clip editing is blocking on a new vectorised sequencer or...

Anyway, I'm excited to see what happens next.

botnotbot

03 Nov 2017

RoryM0 wrote:
27 Oct 2017

Yes I'd also like to thank you for posting this insight. I too am a fairly new user, I was shopping round for music software earlier in the year, tried Bitwig, looked at Maschine, Renoise, dabbled with a few other things, then was demoing Reason 9.2 around the time 9.5 was announced. Loved it, bought 9.5 and started a collection of RE's! Am now using Reason and RE's with a few VST's here and there as my main creative music software, with a bit of Reaper too when detailed audio work is required.

Reason really feels like an instrument to me, a studio, with some DAW functionality built in. I use it for what it is, not what I think it should be. Adding VST's was a great move I think, and Reason 10 has got loads of great stuff in it (not upgraded yet, will do before end of the year) for new users and existing ones, and the RE subscription seems like a positive idea to get people flexible access to tonnes of quality DSP for not much money at all.

I found this community after becoming interested in Reason, I joined in June and visit regularly but have posted only on a couple of occasions, but I feel like there is a lot of negativity on here whenever I visit, and am teaching myself to visit less often (atm it's like a habit, open browser, go to Reasontalk first, then email, hardcore, etc.) because I'm a bit bored of the gigantic moan-gasm that this forum sometimes appears to be.

I've invested in Reason so I'd of course like to see it flourish further and gain new users and improve, but if you can't make your music with what you've got here you've gone wrong in the mind more than anyone has gone wrong in the mind ever previously. Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop made the original Doctor Who theme with just a some test tone oscillators, a white noise source, a single string attached to a bit of wood, a tape recorder and a razor blade. We have all of this functionality and moar.
Hey RoryM0, yeah I can totally understand what you are saying. Part of what has convinced me to jump on board with Reason is the community, everyone who uses it seems to be pretty passionate about this software. Passionate users can also be very harsh when they feel their passion has been crossed.

I think this kind of negativity is more likely to happen around releases but FWIW my impression of ReasonTalk so far is that it is much friendlier than KVR or Gearslutz -- especially when it comes to Reason ;)

Also on YouTube I've found more in-depth and interesting Reason tutorials than I can possibly digest. ReasonExpert for instance will keep giving me knowledge for a long time!

And your last point is crucial: Reason 10 provides more than what is necessary to make some really interesting stuff. Add in the gotta-have-em-all RE landscape and the possibilities are truly stunning.

Bottom line: This is awesomely powerful software that is truly unique in the DAW world, even if there is plenty of room to grow in many areas. I am confident that these will be addressed sooner rather than later. Only time will tell.

Voyager

03 Nov 2017

the new samples that comes with reason 10 are 16 or 24 bit resolution ? or a mix of both ?

WongoTheSane

03 Nov 2017

Voyager wrote:
03 Nov 2017
the new samples that comes with reason 10 are 16 or 24 bit resolution ? or a mix of both ?
24 bits.

Voyager

03 Nov 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
03 Nov 2017
Voyager wrote:
03 Nov 2017
24 bits.
:P :thumbs_up:

svenh

04 Nov 2017

The new instruments in Reason 10 seem nice and I like what I have heard so far. And the Props always make sleek and tasty GUIs. I probably don't need new instruments now, but I know I will have a hard time resisting the temptation to tryi out version 10...

We are all happy to be spoiled with high quality creative music making tools these days.. :D

Voyager

04 Nov 2017

I upgraded from 7.1 to 10 and with the same project file i went from 2.5gb memory usage for 7.1 to 4.5gb for 10 :o

moneykube

05 Nov 2017

Voyager wrote:
04 Nov 2017
I upgraded from 7.1 to 10 and with the same project file i went from 2.5gb memory usage for 7.1 to 4.5gb for 10 :o
:o :o :!: :roll: not great news... hope that gets fixed soon
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Voyager

05 Nov 2017

i was quit surprised, seems reason 10 is a ram sucker.. i have 8gb memory so i'm half way of memoru usage, i'm thinking to upgrde to 16gb but not sure it's worth it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2017

Not a lot of people talk about the new feature to add your own favorite lists. Just upgraded to R10 yesterday and it's a great feature.
Now I have lists that makes sense to me with my go to stuff only and everything feels a lot more organized. And no more scrolling.

Synths
Mono Stereo
Effects
Delay Reverb
Comp Limiter
EQ Filter

Wickline

05 Nov 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:Not a lot of people talk about the new feature to add your own favorite lists. Just upgraded to R10 yesterday and it's a great feature.
Now I have lists that makes sense to me with my go to stuff only and everything feels a lot more organized. And no more scrolling.

Synths
Mono Stereo
Effects
Delay Reverb
Comp Limiter
EQ Filter
Yeah I am sooo enjoying having that. Got way too much shit that I barely use meanwhile Serum is at the bottom of a long list of instruments cause xfer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

Neo

27 Nov 2017

99.00 USD = 129.83 AUD
🎧
You new users should be over the moon. Though for some old timers like myself I have enough content and then some. I was seriously looking forward to VST/UI and workflow updates. Ill probably just get this for the favourites list! lol.
Dont translate passion for hate, would love to see Props on top of the DAW list one day.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

pquenin

06 Dec 2017

Voyager wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Maybe you have installed R 7.1 32 bit ?

Voyager

07 Dec 2017

pquenin wrote:
06 Dec 2017
Voyager wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Maybe you have installed R 7.1 32 bit ?
No it still was 64 bit

• Information