Should Propellerheads Reason 10 Upgrade be free?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aosta

23 Oct 2017

Any thoughts?

Tend the flame

normen

23 Oct 2017

xD What a question. According to the system we live in it "should" cost the exact price that yields the most revenue for PH, that logically can't be zero. In a communist system it obviously "shouldn't" cost anything, PH would do it for the comrades! In a post-capitalist society the AI that wrote the software "shouldn't" want more than electrical power for it. In a post-human society the AI "should" give us Reason for free so we can play in our human-pens - if it let us live ^^ - Which it "should" ;)

groggy1

23 Oct 2017

I think it makes sense that Reason 10 is a PAID upgrade, it has value.

But I will say that for *me*, it doesn't seem too exciting given the main draw is two synths (cool as they may be).

However, I'm OK with paying for the upgrade since Props have shown that they added value after the ship-date for Reason9. (So hopefully there will be some surprises on Reason10 ship-date or half a year later). As long as they keep it up, I like this model.

esselfortium

23 Oct 2017

If you don't want it, you don't have to buy it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2017

No. If you want something you should pay for it. It just seems so obvious to me. Propellerhead is a company, not a charity organisation.
Anytime anything is offered for free, be greatful. But expecting to get stuff for free reeks of self-entitlement to me.
I personally can't stand the whole "I've been a loyal customer for x years and bla bla bla" argument.

If the upgrade isn't worth the price for you, then don't upgrade.

Resonator

23 Oct 2017

Pay for the upgrade you cheap bastard!

Gorgon

23 Oct 2017

Everything should be free! Especially all the stuff produced by the OP! Oh wait. That's nothing.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Loque

23 Oct 2017

Paying for a upgrade is ok. But in the future i realy, really would think of buying a PH RE again. I payed for Pulsar, and they threw it in - money wasted. I payed for Radical Piano and Synchronious, and they threw it in - money wasted.

I think kind of discount for owners of those RE would be fair - otherwise i would only buy the upgrades in future and no RE or refills from PH. I expect they put Parsec and this new IDT thing into 11.
Reason12, Win10

Aosta

23 Oct 2017

Resonator wrote:
23 Oct 2017
:lol:
It's not my video. I don't really have a specific opinion one way or the other. Just wondering what people thought of this guy's arguments for it.

I'm upgrading on the day of release by the way.

Ed:
Gorgon wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Everything should be free! Especially all the stuff produced by the OP! Oh wait. That's nothing.
Wow! Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? :shock:
Last edited by Aosta on 23 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Tend the flame

EnochLight

23 Oct 2017

I can't get beyond his hipster beard, so I can't watch the video. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

nooomy

23 Oct 2017

None is forcing you to own Reason 10. I wont upgrade because i don't it worth the money.. I will wait util they release enough stuff that is worth a upgrade

selig
RE Developer

23 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
23 Oct 2017
I can't get beyond his hipster beard, so I can't watch the video. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can't find "hipster beard" anywhere…don't recognize it myself. ;)
http://www.themyhairstyles.com/names-of ... -know.html

But seriously, one of his main points seems to be that it hurts the Props to later include an RE that was once for sale - not sure how this affects any users negatively, so not sure what his "problem" (or question) is on that level…
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

23 Oct 2017

Resonator wrote:
23 Oct 2017
LMAO!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

teddymcw

23 Oct 2017

No, writing software obv costs money in some form. I find many people that have let their minds think software should be free aren't immediately grasping all the conditioning major platforms have done to encourage exchanging their free software for valuable personal data. Just one pitfall of modern day thinking. I don't even like the question of 'should it be free?'

Like most here, I hope a substantial amount of the upgrade money will be reinvested back into the platform, and right now I don't have a good reason to not believe they will do so before long. The dev team is obv getting more robust and their side initiatives seemingly less.

Creativemind

23 Oct 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Paying for a upgrade is ok. But in the future i realy, really would think of buying a PH RE again. I payed for Pulsar, and they threw it in - money wasted. I payed for Radical Piano and Synchronious, and they threw it in - money wasted.

I think kind of discount for owners of those RE would be fair - otherwise i would only buy the upgrades in future and no RE or refills from PH. I expect they put Parsec and this new IDT thing into 11.
That's a fair comment really. I think the Props should have given everyone who had Pulsar when purchasing 9 or a 9 upgrade 10% off. Then with this 10 update, 10% off for people who already have Synchronous and 10% off for those who already have Radical Piano. So if you've already purchased both get 20% off. So that would be €114 to upgrade instead of €129. So that's £17 something in English money. Still nowhere near what you'd have paid for the Re's. Maybe 15% for each?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EnochLight

23 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
23 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Can't find "hipster beard" anywhere…don't recognize it myself. ;)

http://www.themyhairstyles.com/names-of ... -know.html
hispter_bears_chart.jpg
hispter_bears_chart.jpg (193.57 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
But seriously, one of his main points seems to be that it hurts the Props to later include an RE that was once for sale - not sure how this affects any users negatively, so not sure what his "problem" (or question) is on that level…
Fixed that chart for you. :D :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, yeah - I'm not sure what people expect. Including old plugins as stock devices that once were sold is not a "new" approach in this industry. :shrugs:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

rudiarii

23 Oct 2017

Seriously..is he being serious? I suppose he must be if he went to all the time and effort of making the video...
"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

stratatonic

23 Oct 2017

rudiarii wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Seriously..is he being serious? I suppose he must be if he went to all the time and effort of making the video...
I know, right...but his subscribers are waiting to hear his every utterance...
EnochLight wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Fixed that chart for you. :D :lol: :lol:
Zappa was a hipster?

seqoi

23 Oct 2017

dude is disrespecting person. Yea if he think 10 need to be free then he should send all of his monthly earnings to 3rd world countries and people there.

Kenni
Site Admin

23 Oct 2017

Why should it be free? There's new content in it.

Edit: Why do this question even keep coming up for every update? Actual people do actual work to produce actual content for actual consumers. Nothing is free. You pay for the water you drink as well, which is even more stupid if you think about it. You have to pay for a resource you need to survive. It makes more sense that you have to pay for a luxury that is a DAW.

Ok, so they threw in Radical Piano and a few other RE's (I paid for Radical Piano). But I don't believe the point some people are strongly trying to make. Yes, if you had waited until Reason 10, you would have gotten the RE's they threw in "for free" - You also wouldn't get to add the effects and the piano sound from those RE's if you didn't buy it back then. It's not money wasted, you've already gotten something out of those devices.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Resonator

23 Oct 2017

Aosta wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Resonator wrote:
23 Oct 2017
:lol:
It's not my video. I don't really have a specific opinion one way or the other. Just wondering what people thought of this guy's arguments for it.

I'm upgrading on the day of release by the way
Yeah, I was referring to the guy in the video. I can't stand all these self-entitled douchebags that feel the need to campaign with a video or the ones who constantly batch and complain about it here on the forum. These people either need to get a job or do more chores around the house so mommy can give them an increase in their allowance. Back when ReBirth was the new thing, I had to work my ass off and save all my money to be able to buy parts to build a PC and buy the software... and if I couldn't afford to go out on the weekends, that's the sacrifice I made to get what I wanted. No handouts, no batch and moaning about it, and we didn't have YouTube back then to make some bullshit video about wanting free stuff. But anyway, I'm glad to see you're willing to pay for the upgrade and I feel that it's money well-spent. :thumbs_up:

QVprod

23 Oct 2017

I think there are valid points for maybe slight annoyance in the video for people who already have Radical Piano. But Synchronous was something many of us got for free with Reason 7 anyway. However, the inclusion of Grain and Europa make up for that as both are synths Props could have easily charged the upgrade price for as individual REs. Now whether or not those synths interest you is another story, but lack of interest doesn't mean it should be free.

LiberalTugboat

23 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Loque wrote:
23 Oct 2017

That's a fair comment really. I think the Props should have given everyone who had Pulsar when purchasing 9 or a 9 upgrade 10% off. Then with this 10 update, 10% off for people who already have Synchronous and 10% off for those who already have Radical Piano. So if you've already purchased both get 20% off. So that would be €114 to upgrade instead of €129. So that's £17 something in English money. Still nowhere near what you'd have paid for the Re's. Maybe 15% for each?
You have had the opportunity to use these REs for the amount of time since you bought them, while those who did not buy them are only getting them now. It is only "money wasted" if you do not feel they were worth the price you paid for the time you have used them.

Resonator

23 Oct 2017

I got Synchronus free when I upgraded to R7. Now that it's being offered again for free in R10, should I send hate mail to Propellerheads and demand that they offer me another RE that I don't own? Should I make a YouTube video complaining about it? Should I send a letter to my local congressman? Or should I start a protest in front of the Propellerhead Software Headquarters? ;)
Last edited by Resonator on 23 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

• Information