Should Propellerheads Reason 10 Upgrade be free?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
XysteR

24 Oct 2017

Nar. It makes absolutely sod all sense to make a milestone version free. We should pay for every new version and quit whinging. Tiring seeing people on here and the props facebook page crying like babies because they have to put their scrawny hands in their pockets. Skinflints! :D

Gulale

25 Oct 2017

My answer to this would be yes and no. From what POV that I'm answering depends on which fact I'm putting to the table. They introduce VST on version 9.5 and if they keep sending a patch to fix the performance issue for plugins which they don't work properly for what they started to support on version 9.5, I would say the upgrade shouldn't have to bee free. otherwise it is same all propellerhead trick they use to make people upgrade to 9.5 and ditch that feature introduce another version and you will be forced to upgrade once more for your broken features to be fixed.

I have known from the start the moment UA is not working in Reason as it should be. I took the immediate action which is selling Reason for lucrative amount of money on people who are emotional about VST and make money on their brain. My fear came reality and they have introduced version 10. Now you will not have the right to ask for patch and update t about the VST issue of yours you have to shell out another 120 to have a working VST in your DAW that if they even fix it on version 10 or 11.

So, as long as they send me patch which can fix the VST support they started on 9.5 I say go ahead and charge for the upgrade. If not, I would say make it free. or less amount of money like 75 or something.

I have never contributed in any of Reason 10 release discussion but I guess time to throw mine. This is my point of view. If they stopped supporting what they started on version 9.5, it will look like they are chasing money than making their users happy.
Gulale aka Bereket

syncanonymous

26 Oct 2017

rudiarii wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Fair comment...I do voluntary work and it actually costs me to do it but it has benefits which agree with me.
I hear ya, yes, often it is pay to give :-) Good for the soul
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

AttenuationHz

26 Oct 2017

I'm all for paying for 10 and will be upgrading soon. But here's a hypothetical question:

If in three months time they release Reason 11 how would you feel about paying for that. Obviously this is unrealistic seen as 10.5 is not even a thing but IF you went from 8.3.2 to 9.5 skipping version 9 like I did myself and probably a lot of others did for VST support and 3/4 months later 10 is released can we understand where people are coming from. There just seems to be a little bit of ignorance to that side of it just wanted to put that out there.

Also more realistically: say you skip 10 completely in favour of the point updates which will inevitably bring work flow enhancements bug fixes possible requested features and 3 months after that 11 is released with a shit load of new features equal to what would be added in 10.x would you be willing to pay for that one?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
26 Oct 2017
I'm all for paying for 10 and will be upgrading soon. But here's a hypothetical question:

If in three months time they release Reason 11 how would you feel about paying for that. Obviously this is unrealistic seen as 10.5 is not even a thing but IF you went from 8.3.2 to 9.5 skipping version 9 like I did myself and probably a lot of others did for VST support and 3/4 months later 10 is released can we understand where people are coming from. There just seems to be a little bit of ignorance to that side of it just wanted to put that out there.

Also more realistically: say you skip 10 completely in favour of the point updates which will inevitably bring work flow enhancements bug fixes possible requested features and 3 months after that 11 is released with a shit load of new features equal to what would be added in 10.x would you be willing to pay for that one?
But this is always true for software. There's always going to be someone who upgraded 6 months before the next release. It's up to them whether they want to start using the new features now or wait.

AttenuationHz

26 Oct 2017

avasopht wrote:
26 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
26 Oct 2017

But this is always true for software. There's always going to be someone who upgraded 6 months before the next release. It's up to them whether they want to start using the new features now or wait.
So it wouldn't be a kick in the stones for you to pay again in such a short amount of time. There is no telling when a update will be released. But there is also people probably on here but beyond that were a week even a few days from the grace period of the update! That is where some of the frustration is coming from!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Faastwalker

26 Oct 2017

Not sure if this has already been discussed - But if you don't buy the Reason 10 upgrade, and next year Reason 11 is a free upgrade, do you get it for free if you are a Reason 9.5 user? Or do you have to buy the Reason 10 upgrade to qualify for the free Reason 11 upgrade? (whenever that might come along).

Oquasec

26 Oct 2017

Depends. If it's an update with not many improvements, it should be a decimal update.
But this was toooooo big to be 9.7. These bundled built in instruments and Re with all those patches are 5 times that separate.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

etyrnal

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
23 Oct 2017
I can't get beyond his hipster beard, so I can't watch the video. [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]
Can't find "hipster beard" anywhere…don't recognize it myself. ;)
http://www.themyhairstyles.com/names-of ... -know.html

But seriously, one of his main points seems to be that it hurts the Props to later include an RE that was once for sale - not sure how this affects any users negatively, so not sure what his "problem" (or question) is on that level…
The hipster beard isn't a specific style of beard. A hipster beard is when a person chooses to grow a beard and an attempt to pretend they are stylish or with some fashion trend, as opposed to growing a beard because they are a man. In other words a hipster beard is a beard that are person grows because they're Trying to be hip.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

etyrnal

27 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
23 Oct 2017
I can't get beyond his hipster beard, so I can't watch the video. [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

But seriously, one of his main points seems to be that it hurts the Props to later include an RE that was once for sale - not sure how this affects any users negatively, so not sure what his "problem" (or question) is on that level…
Props gave away for free a bunch of RE that many paid for. Kind of insulting. So, for some, they are paying for them again.

ravisoni

27 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
26 Oct 2017
avasopht wrote:
26 Oct 2017

So it wouldn't be a kick in the stones for you to pay again in such a short amount of time. There is no telling when a update will be released. But there is also people probably on here but beyond that were a week even a few days from the grace period of the update! That is where some of the frustration is coming from!
Some good points made by both.
I just wonder if it would be sub-par in terms of sales if they had a regular update/upgrade cycle. Does the hype and sudden announcement really bring in more sales, or would their cash flow be more certain (and more predictable for them as a company) if everyone knew their cycles? I also don't think the hype is mutually exclusive from a known upgrade cycle. People go crazy over all the android, pixel and iPhone updates all the time despite knowing (even if by a ballpark measure) when their favorite gadget is coming out next.
Curious.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

RustyShakleforde

27 Oct 2017

No, that'd be ridiculous. Regardless of what you think of the offer, staff will have worked hard to produce the new synths, etc etc - they should be paid. You don't like the synths or style of the "content" update, then don't pay them for the stuff you don't want. When they release a point update with more workflow updates etc, pay them then, as they will have produced what you are looking for.

Regardless of whether or not you need the new content, the new synths are impressive and very fun to use, those alone would be worth the £129 asking price. So again, if you don't want them, don't pay. You aren't missing out on anything. Pay them again when the point updates come round, as when you look at it - if you don't update, you have the exact same program you already had, just minus the new synths etc. Just accept this is the update they have gone with for 10 and wait and see what's coming next while continuing to make your music. I have faith the workflow updates will come. You want frustration with updates and features, try Native Instruments and maschine haha! What props have produced the last few years in comparison, relatively speaking, blows some other companies out the water.

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2017

I wonder, would there have been as much fuss raised if Propellerhead had released a free cut down Radical Piano?

Buyer's remorse is basic marketing 101, so the complaints about giving away something people paid for has to be expected.

Gorgon

31 Oct 2017

XysteR wrote:
24 Oct 2017
Nar. It makes absolutely sod all sense to make a milestone version free. We should pay for every new version and quit whinging. Tiring seeing people on here and the props facebook page crying like babies because they have to put their scrawny hands in their pockets. Skinflints! :D
Milestone version? How so? All it has is some more content.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

antic604

31 Oct 2017

Thinking about it now, adding VSTs in 9.5 free for owners of 9 and then 3 months later releasing a 10 was a very smart business move. Probably lots of people upgraded from 8 or (sometimes - much) earlier versions to finally have the VSTs in Reason and then just as they started feeling at home there's 10 announced, with some tempting new synths & samples. It's pretty obvious this was planned, because Props have not created those new synths in last 3 months. They must have been ready long time ago.

If I was one of those persons that upgraded at 9.5 and now is faced with paying for 10, then I'd be pissed.

Luckily, 10 is my first Reason ever so I couldn't be more happy! :P The only thing that bugs me is why all the new stuff is seen as REs and not Reason's native devices, with their own unique file extension, unique icon, etc.

RandyEspoda

31 Oct 2017

THis question makes no sense at all. Off course the upgrades are not supposed to be free.
How the heck would they finance the development ?

The question is quite idiotic, and even considering an answer that doesn't consist of only the letters 'n' and 'o' consecutive in one word,
is an insult to those that provide us with those new 'upgrades'.

If we lived in a world where stuff was automatically free and money wasn't a necessity to develop stuff, then maybe.
But we live on Earth, and although people generally suck, it is the way it is ;)

XysteR

06 Nov 2017

Gorgon wrote:
31 Oct 2017
XysteR wrote:
24 Oct 2017
Milestone version? How so? All it has is some more content.
All it has is the most content in any Reason update that ever came out. The samples alone are worth the upgrade price if you take into consideration what people pay for refills. I payed about the same for Radical piano - Radical piano is included in R10 too. I'm not sore, I've had a few good years of use out of Radical Piano. I also bought Syncronous years ago which is also included. This update is probably giving me less than anyone without these Re's, but I still feel I'm getting great value for money with Europa, Grain and the three handy yet powerful devices and a ton of awesome samples. Plus, I genuinely want to support a developer that provides me with tools I get so much from. I use Reason a hell of a lot - It's just plain awesome! Even more so now with everything in Reason 10.

I mean come on, between upgrades I get months and months of use which enables me to be freely creative is worth more than money to me. Sadly some people feel they're entitled, like the world owes them free/cheap stuff. Well they can go %^&* themselves.

Gorgon

07 Nov 2017

XysteR wrote:
06 Nov 2017
All it has is the most content in any Reason update that ever came out. The samples alone are worth the upgrade price if you take into consideration what people pay for refills.
Oh dear.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

ltbrunt00

08 Nov 2017

Maybe a discount if you have been buying a lot of RE's
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Faastwalker

09 Nov 2017

I bought the upgrade last night. Just shy of $180 here in Aus. But totally worth it. I didn't own Radical Piano but almost bought it on several occasions. A nice bonus to get it with Reason 10, not so good if you already owned it. But it's amazing. I love it. Stars of the show are obviously Grain & Europa. Absolutely loving these as well. I'm less fussed on the other three 'world' instruments but they sound great & may get some use. Then there's all the extra content. This is a big upgrade. Initially I was confused that 10 wasn't about Reason features and all about content & devices. But it makes sense now I've got it. I can't deny that it's great to get 2 major new synths to play with in a Reason upgrade.

XysteR

10 Nov 2017

Gorgon wrote:
07 Nov 2017
XysteR wrote:
06 Nov 2017
All it has is the most content in any Reason update that ever came out. The samples alone are worth the upgrade price if you take into consideration what people pay for refills.
Oh dear.
Oh fact.

XysteR

10 Nov 2017

etyrnal wrote:
27 Oct 2017
selig wrote:

The hipster beard isn't a specific style of beard. A hipster beard is when a person chooses to grow a beard and an attempt to pretend they are stylish or with some fashion trend, as opposed to growing a beard because they are a man. In other words a hipster beard is a beard that are person grows because they're Trying to be hip.

They're just sheep. Same as the 'teeth whitening' clan.

To me, all these beardy weirdies look like they hang around schools too often lol

Gorgon

10 Nov 2017

XysteR wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Oh fact.
No, that's not a fact. Not even close.

joeyluck

10 Nov 2017

Can we please stop with the personal attacks? Calling someone a hipster and trying to make fun of someone's appearance is unacceptable. Making assumptions and conclusions about anyone based on appearance is very wrong. Trying to cut someone down with anything unrelated to the argument is cowardly. Engage them in conversation or don't.

To me, it just sounds like people here are jealous of guys that can grow beards. It's beard envy really. Wish I could grow a full beard. Move on please.

• Information