Can Reason read Keyboard Patch name scripts?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BananaSkins

21 Oct 2017

Can Reason read patch name scripts for keyboards like Korg Triton Extreme and Microkorg, I remember using these scripts within Cubase a few years ago and was just wondering if I could do the same with Reason?

Thanks for any help... :thumbs_up:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2017

Reason does support a number of Keyboards already.

You can write your own remotes however it's not that straight forward.

BananaSkins

22 Oct 2017

Thanks for that...any ideas how you apply Keyboard remote scripts within Reason?

Thanks for any help...👍🏻

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2017

BananaSkins wrote:
22 Oct 2017
Thanks for that...any ideas how you apply Keyboard remote scripts within Reason?

Thanks for any help...👍🏻
What you calling a remote script is that the same as a remote mapping?

You could look here https://www.propellerheads.se/developer/remote.php

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Poly Madness
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BananaSkins

23 Oct 2017

Basically I am after keyboard preset patch scripts (not too sure of the correct wording) a few years ago when using Cubase I remember being able to scroll down a midi channels presets for my Korg Triton Extreme & Microkorg and being able to pick any preset for that particular keyboard, made life a lot easier. Thought it might be a standard procedure for all daws now.

So if any body can point me to these scripts (Korg Triton Extreme / Microkorg) and how to install them within Reason 10 I would appreciate it...👍🏻

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2017

Are you wanting to be able to choice presets from your Midi keyboard via Reason?

If so then have a look at the stock EMI (External Midi Instrument) device, it's under instruments and you can send program changes from it.

BananaSkins

23 Oct 2017

Yes I know I can play sounds from my keyboards via creating a external midi channel; but I'm also looking for the option to instantly choose a preset within this midi channel, i.e. Bypass going through the presets on the keyboard itself...

This is a great option for the Microkorg because it means you don't have to touch any dials or buttons to go from one preset to the other etc. Within Cubase it just means scrolling through a full preset drop down list within the midi channel.

Maybe preset / patch name scripts can not be implemented into Reason yet...

Thanks for any advice...👍🏻

QVprod

23 Oct 2017

Reason isn't capable of doing this. You can send program changes, but there's no way of assigning patch names. I think only Pro Tools, Logic , and Cubase are capable of this.

BananaSkins

23 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Reason isn't capable of doing this. You can send program changes, but there's no way of assigning patch names. I think only Pro Tools, Logic , and Cubase are capable of this.

That's a shame, thanks for your input...👍🏻

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2017

BananaSkins wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Yes I know I can play sounds from my keyboards via creating a external midi channel; but I'm also looking for the option to instantly choose a preset within this midi channel, i.e. Bypass going through the presets on the keyboard itself...
Maybe you missed the last bit of my sentence...

"you can send program changes from it."

QVprod

23 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
23 Oct 2017

That's actually not all that helpful unless you know what specific program changes you want to send. What the OP is referring is being able to see a list of patches for his keyboards like this

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
23 Oct 2017

That's actually not all that helpful unless you know what specific program changes you want to send. What the OP is referring is being able to see a list of patches for his keyboards like this
Surely you know what your presets are on your hardware there is usually only a couple of banks of 128 patches :o
:lol:

JDoyle

23 Oct 2017

I've wondered if it's possible to make a RE device to do this sort of thing, basically a patch librarian for use with external MIDI devices. I used to use Sonar which had this capability, using .INS files, basically just a list of bank and patch names. It'd make using an old rompler with thousands of patches a lot easier.

BananaSkins

23 Oct 2017

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is exactly what I wanted and used in Cubase myself a few years ago, thanks for posting QVprod... :thumbs_up:
JDoyle wrote:
23 Oct 2017
I've wondered if it's possible to make a RE device to do this sort of thing, basically a patch librarian for use with external MIDI devices. I used to use Sonar which had this capability, using .INS files, basically just a list of bank and patch names. It'd make using an old rompler with thousands of patches a lot easier.
Yes, that would be a great RE..certainly make life easier for keeping track of presets and of course any user made presets...cheers JDoyle... :thumbs_up:

QVprod

23 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Surely you know what your presets are on your hardware there is usually only a couple of banks of 128 patches :o
:lol:
Sure you may know how to navigate to the patches you use the most on the keyboard itself. However knowing the program change numbers for those patches off hand? Most people don't. People browse through presets on workstations/synths the same way they browse presets on soft synths. Also, "only a couple banks of 128 patches"? Korg Triton (not sure about the Extreme) as an example has 4 banks of patches.128 X 4 = 512. That's actually quite a lot to remember. Expansions and User banks may add to that number. What you'll most likely remember are the names of patches you use often, but definitely not all of them along with their program change numbers.

Ultimately though, The point here is convenience. To be able to choose a patch on a keyboard the same way you would choose a patch in software. The concept isn't outrageous as it's something many people can do in some other DAWs.

BananaSkins

23 Oct 2017

Anyone Up For The Job? ;)

BananaSkins

07 Mar 2019

Just Bumping this incase any more help might be available on adding keyboard scripts within Reason?

Any help greatfully appreciated...

QVprod

07 Mar 2019

Forgot about this thread. There’s no supported way. You can try to see if saving program changes (via EMI) in a combinator and then loading it automatically loads the patch. I can’t confirm if that would work though. If it does though, you’ll have to manually save a combinator for every patch.

BananaSkins

07 Mar 2019

Ok thanks QVprod, I will try that idea and report back...

• Information