Digital Boards

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
djstick

20 Oct 2017

I am looking into a digital board for mixing my music. I came from the old school and I am very visual when it comes to mixing. I like to feel and see the mix.
With Reason it is hard at time.
Any suggestion in finding the right equipment.
Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdX_9JlYcZE

Wickline

20 Oct 2017

Is that vid yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

QVprod

20 Oct 2017

You sure you want a digital mixer and not a control surface? A control surface will give you (bankable) faders to control the Reason mixer as well as other things. Behringer X-touch, Mackie Control Pro, Presonus Faderport 8 or 16...etc

If that's not enough and you really want a digital mixer, then your choice is really up to preference and your budget. Midas M32, Behringer X32, and Presonus Studiolive series III, are about equal in terms of functionality though the Midas has arguably "better" preamps should you be looking to record with it. The downside of using a digital mixer to mix though, if you aren't aware, is have to manage a separate Reason song file and mix save on the mixer.

jlgrimes

20 Oct 2017

djstick wrote:
20 Oct 2017
I am looking into a digital board for mixing my music. I came from the old school and I am very visual when it comes to mixing. I like to feel and see the mix.
With Reason it is hard at time.
Any suggestion in finding the right equipment.
Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdX_9JlYcZE

A digital mixer is a bit different than a mixer controller.

A Mackie HUI is probably your best bet with Reason as I think it is Remote compatible.

A digital mixer is something like a Yamaha O2R. They were popular in the late 90s when Adats were popular but DAWS (and mixer controllers) kind have took over.
Technically I think most digital mixers can function as a controller but it is most likely a manual process. They would have built in EQ and some function as an audio interface (more modern ones).

It depends on what direction you want to go.

djstick

20 Oct 2017

Sorry control surface I guess the wording is different lol

djstick

20 Oct 2017

Wickline wrote:
20 Oct 2017
Is that vid yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes thats my new single and video, we are on youtube and on some charts.
Thanks

brand

22 Oct 2017

I like that song and video!

I was recently trying to decide between the xTouch, Faderport 8, or Mackie MCU Pro. Finally went with the MCU. It is pricey. But very nice gear! No regrets on this. It can follow the master section, and in that mode, can control just about everything in the main mixer console. You can select channels and use the knobs to control settings by channel. Haven't had it long, but have not found anything major to complain about. It's not perfect, but for me, pretty close. The Alps faders are fantastic. Will it get you completely away from the mouse? No. But close.

I have not actually used the xTouch or Faderport. They seem good, and certainly more budget-friendly. Based on my research, the XTouch seemed to have a few issues. The Faderport 8 I liked, but I was concerned that it would turn out to be to much of a "Studio One" thing.

Also found this whole topic to be very helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7343641&hilit=Mackie+mcu

Well, I don't know what I'd do if Allison's Project Tonic becomes reality. Because for sure I'd want one :) :
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7502789

• Information