Subtractor velocity response

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marketblandings

18 Oct 2017

Hi folks,

Back working on a tune that uses the "Tonewheels - Jazz Perc" combi that makes it's fabulous Hammond B-3 sound out of 4 Subtractors (and FX).
Right now, I really, really need that combi to respond to velocity info (even though a real Hammond wouldn't, I realize)
It doesn't seem like it can.
The velocities are all getting recorded in the Sequencer. And the Subtractors have a velocity section on them - but I just don't understand the knobs. :oops:
Is there something I can adjust to get the Combi to respond to velocity?

Thanks again

Loque

18 Oct 2017

You need to set each velocity setting for every Subtractor. You should have said, what you want the velocity to react on? But i guess you just want some volume change, their is a Amp setting available. Just turn up the knob to 3 o click or so
Reason12, Win10

Marketblandings

18 Oct 2017

Loque wrote:
18 Oct 2017
You need to set each velocity setting for every Subtractor. You should have said, what you want the velocity to react on? But i guess you just want some volume change, their is a Amp setting available. Just turn up the knob to 3 o click or so
Yes, volume. I have 3 harmonizing lines of single notes on 3 note lanes of the Tonewheels track. 2 of them are like 127 velocity in volume. One isn't. I just want to even them up in volume.
I twirled the Amp knobs earlier, guessing that's what I want. Not sure I got anything.

I should note: the one note lane that isn't freakishly loud was played long ago on a Casio Privia piano I have at home. This keyboard has all the expected levels of velocity response and always works well with Reason.
The 2 new ones were played on a portable (and generally unsatisfactory) Behringer keyboard that only has 3 levels of velocity. I expected to play lightly enough for the lowest velocity - and then adjust manually in the sequencer. Those notes are now down to 1 on the velocity scale and still screeching like I pounded on the keyboard.

swamptooth

18 Oct 2017

Expand each of the subtractors in the combi.
In the bottom right you will see a velocity section.
Turn the amp knob all the way to the highest setting.

Is this what you mean?
Attachments
subtractor.jpg
subtractor.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

Marketblandings

19 Oct 2017

swamptooth wrote:
18 Oct 2017
Expand each of the subtractors in the combi.
In the bottom right you will see a velocity section.
Turn the amp knob all the way to the highest setting.

Is this what you mean?
Something like it anyway. All the way to the right was way too much. just +15 to the right had a nice taming effect.
Not excatly what I expected but I can use it!

Thanks, Swampy!

Marketblandings

24 Oct 2017

Turns out just the Subtractor providing the famous Hammond percussive effect was all that needed turning down. I automated the knob for the right amounts at the right time. Thanks again for the help.

swamptooth

24 Oct 2017

Marketblandings wrote:
24 Oct 2017
Turns out just the Subtractor providing the famous Hammond percussive effect was all that needed turning down. I automated the knob for the right amounts at the right time. Thanks again for the help.
great observation! i'm sure other users will find that handy. thanks for the props! :mrgreen:

• Information