Reason's poor cpu performance

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Nov 2017

botnotbot - I have the same issues here - late 2015 Imac 27 inch 4.O Retina 24 gigs of ram, latest of high sierra. Gotta run her in low resolution mode to not get the glitches. It's not the iMac, it's Reason...Period!!! I've emailed support as well on this issue before. I'll probably not be on for a few days, just learned last night at 3am that an old friend died of an Opiate related Overdose. Shitty Day to say the least!

FlowerSoldier

04 Nov 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Nov 2017
botnotbot - I have the same issues here - late 2015 Imac 27 inch 4.O Retina 24 gigs of ram, latest of high sierra. Gotta run her in low resolution mode to not get the glitches. It's not the iMac, it's Reason...Period!!! I've emailed support as well on this issue before. I'll probably not be on for a few days, just learned last night at 3am that an old friend died of an Opiate related Overdose. Shitty Day to say the least!
Sorry to hear about your friend Bio. That's hella sad.

Aiser

04 Nov 2017

Never had a mac so this comes as a surprise to read
Reason, Reaper & Ableton user. :cool:

Galaxy

05 Nov 2017

tumar wrote:
03 Nov 2017
Galaxy wrote:
03 Nov 2017
Is this a Reason setting or an OS setting? Curious, does this apply only to iMacs?
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/06/24 ... play-macs/

I tried it on MB Pro, without any effect on CPU.
Thanks

jappe

05 Nov 2017

A tip to get some clues is to check with performance monitoring software what's happening on the per-core utilization level if you have hyperthreading enabled:

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

I e do you see brief peaks - or brief dips - in utilisation level for any or all cores when the sound crackles

jlgrimes

05 Nov 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Nov 2017
I have the same machine. Reason does seem to be pretty bad in CPU use.

In Ableton, I get more CPU use + Ableton and about every other DAW has Freeze. Reason definitely needs Freeze if it don’t expect to increase their CPU efficiency. I don’t think many people would mind the high CPU use with Freeze.

I used to be on Windows about 5 years ago and Reason still seemed sluggish to me. Record 1.5 was about the last CPU efficient product I remember. I think Rack Extensions is where I saw the CPU use start becoming an issue with Reason. That said it didn’t seem as bad as it is now on a Mac.

Marco Raaphorst

05 Nov 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
05 Nov 2017
In Ableton, I get more CPU use + Ableton and about every other DAW has Freeze. Reason definitely needs Freeze if it don’t expect to increase their CPU efficiency. I don’t think many people would mind the high CPU use with Freeze.
Bounce in Place = Freeze

jlgrimes

05 Nov 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
05 Nov 2017
jlgrimes wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Bounce in Place = Freeze
Actually, no.

(Bounce in Place + deleting original synths and effects) = (Freeze + Flatten).

I can explain if needed.

Marco Raaphorst

05 Nov 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
05 Nov 2017

Bounce in Place = Freeze
Actually, no.

I can explain if needed.
Please explain. Bounce in Place should disable all devices in the chain and use a wav-track instead.

selig
RE Developer

05 Nov 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
05 Nov 2017
jlgrimes wrote:
05 Nov 2017

Actually, no.

I can explain if needed.
Please explain. Bounce in Place should disable all devices in the chain and use a wav-track instead.
I can point out one difference - if you use a sampler, and use bounce in place, the samples are still in RAM in this case. But if you use Freeze, the RAM should be freed up (if it's done correctly).

Additionally, we know that devices in Reason, even when disabled, still use SOME DSP and still appear in the mixer/rack. A "full" freeze function should appear the same (visually, and to the CPU/RAM hardware) as if you bounced the instrument to audio, and totally removed the original devices in Reason. And, a press of a button should RESTORE things back to where they were "pre-freeze" - non of which Reason is doing currently!
Selig Audio, LLC

chimp_spanner

05 Nov 2017

Am I right in thinking these CPU issues are mostly occurring on Mac? Or is it a bit of a mixed bag? I've screenshotted the project I'm working on atm and while it's by no means huge, all of those Kontakts are either Albion One or Strings/Brass Essentials, Decimator Drums, massive instruments with a lot of legato and scripting stuff going on. Plus a few Europas. I've not hit a CPU warning yet. It's an old i7 4700MQ - still an okay CPU like, but I think the clock speed is something like 2.4, oc'd to around 3. So it's not the best. RAM, is another issue (although I only just realised most of my Albion's were also loading in other articulations that I had no intention of keyswitching to so I just bought myself some more headroom). But in any case, freezing would be SUPER useful in this project.

On the plus side it's sounding insane. I thought I'd still need Cubase to do orchestral work. Turns out, I don't!
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-11-05 14.38.41.jpg
Screenshot 2017-11-05 14.38.41.jpg (752.6 KiB) Viewed 2620 times

Fusion

05 Nov 2017

I am also having the same problems with a top spec MacBook Pro 2015 15" i7 16gb ram. Switching to low resolution mode helps reduce the load , but I can not work with it like this as everything is blurry, so propellerheads cannot really call this a fix.

I reported this problem to Propellerhead last year and the solution was to stop using softube rack extension and switch to low resolution mode. I am very disappointed that Reason 10 has not had a GUI upgrade to bring it up to date.

Although some of the new rack extensions are great , they could have been released after sorting fundamental issues like this one. I am having to keep my projects very small at the moment until this is sorted.

Does this issue not happen with 4k monitors on Windows?

seqoi

05 Nov 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Am I right in thinking these CPU issues are mostly occurring on Mac? Or is it a bit of a mixed bag?
No definitely not only on Macs.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=7502998

Mind you with RE's it appear Reason behave nicely and natural. Only when it comes to VST. At least on my side and on 3 different computers i tested with dozen of other DAW i tested with.

botnotbot

06 Nov 2017

I think there is some confusion here.

I don't think you should classify audio dropouts that occur without any DSP / CPU meter spiking as CPU issues.

It's one thing if the performance of the application has degraded and this bar is maxing out. These would be clearcut "CPU issues".

It's a totally different story when you have dropouts even while your CPU is barely working. If the meter is to be trusted I have tons of CPU headroom.

Since these "my computer is barely working but audio is dropping out" seem to be primarily impacting HiDiPi mode, I think this is more likely related to issues with their graphical presentation code and how it interacts with their audio code.

normen

06 Nov 2017

botnotbot wrote:
06 Nov 2017
I think there is some confusion here.

I don't think you should classify audio dropouts that occur without any DSP / CPU meter spiking as CPU issues.

It's one thing if the performance of the application has degraded and this bar is maxing out. These would be clearcut "CPU issues".

It's a totally different story when you have dropouts even while your CPU is barely working. If the meter is to be trusted I have tons of CPU headroom.

Since these "my computer is barely working but audio is dropping out" seem to be primarily impacting HiDiPi mode, I think this is more likely related to issues with their graphical presentation code and how it interacts with their audio code.
this

Marco Raaphorst

06 Nov 2017

In some other thread I also added that when I have glitches happening in Reason, when I record the audio stream in Audio Hijack the signal is often clean. Meaning it's USB/soundcard related.

flexluthor

06 Nov 2017

One easy way to check its OS X is to
Install boot camp on your Mac and see if windows performs better.

jbailey

08 Nov 2017

Just wanted to chime in as well: 2014 5K Retina iMac with 32GB Ram, 4Ghz i7, 4GB graphics card - I get audio dropouts with no warnings, in fact my DSP bar doesn't even go above 2 when they happen. 5 VSTs as inserts on audio tracks, 2 instances of Europa and 3 of Grain. Opened in low resolution mode and no dropouts whatsoever. DSP still doesn't go over 2. Can't exactly compare because of the new synths, but I've had no issues with unexpected dropouts in 9.5. Guess Mac users just have to deal with low resolution graphics until Props overhauls/optimizes the GUI?

Daniel36

08 Nov 2017

Is it me, or is Reason 10 better than 9 in terms of performance?

I am on Reason Essentials 8, and when I downloaded the Reason 9 demo, many of my tracks became "Computer Too Slow". Now, I downloaded Reason 10 demo, and those same tracks are no longer "Computer Too Slow".

In fact, the difference in performance is hardly noticeable. Some moment I even think it does a better job than Essentials 8. There is currently only one project file that seems to pretty much freeze up R10 for me, but that track also takes about 5 minutes to completely load up in Essentials 8, because of very heavy NN-XT samples.

I actually got super excited and now want to save up for Reason 10. Never expected that to happen, as Reason 9 just didn't want to play nice with my laptop. It might be an audio driver update though... Who knows... No matter, saved me some money on skipping 9.

Marco Raaphorst

08 Nov 2017

Daniel36 wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Is it me, or is Reason 10 better than 9 in terms of performance?

I am on Reason Essentials 8, and when I downloaded the Reason 9 demo, many of my tracks became "Computer Too Slow". Now, I downloaded Reason 10 demo, and those same tracks are no longer "Computer Too Slow".

In fact, the difference in performance is hardly noticeable. Some moment I even think it does a better job than Essentials 8. There is currently only one project file that seems to pretty much freeze up R10 for me, but that track also takes about 5 minutes to completely load up in Essentials 8, because of very heavy NN-XT samples.

I actually got super excited and now want to save up for Reason 10. Never expected that to happen, as Reason 9 just didn't want to play nice with my laptop. It might be an audio driver update though... Who knows... No matter, saved me some money on skipping 9.
Reason 10 is a content update, nothing in the core has been changed. So the difference you notice should be caused by something else. Maybe latency value change?

Daniel36

08 Nov 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Reason 10 is a content update, nothing in the core has been changed. So the difference you notice should be caused by something else. Maybe latency value change?
Quite possibly.

I can't quite remember, but I think I updated my audio driver after my Reason 9 trial, which could have also caused more problems than I knew. I may also have used a different ASIO after, so maybe that also helped.

If anything, it seems Reason 10 works well enough on my crummy laptop, I still need to bounce stuff, but I can work with it, which is way more than I could say when I tried Reason 9. And the amount of extra content alone is worth the price for me, as I will also have access to QUITE a few combinators from various Rack Extensions that were previously unaccessible. Yes, life of an Essentials user is hard. :P

moneykube

08 Nov 2017

put my report in today... I can't even use one instance of expanse without too slow message(making that purchase unfortunate)... reason 10 can only handle a few less cpu intensive racks as opposed to many instances before... then too slow message and glitches... also reason 10 takes a long time to boot compared to all other versions from 2.5 and up... frustrating :thumbs_down:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

SA Studio

09 Nov 2017

4 VST's and Reason pops, glitches, and needs buffer adjustment, etc for me. The time it takes to render out a mix is also more than doubled if a couple VST's are in the project.

This is on a 6 core AMD 3.5 8gb RAM 1TBhd machine. My other studio comp is a i7 4.0 32RAM 2tb but from knowing other DAWs as well as I do, I know that just upgrading the CPU for Reason is not the only problem under the hood by a very long shot. I'm really looking forward to a performance upgrade.

I'm hoping it's one that truly puts Propellerhead at the top of software programming excellence once again.

thehipcola

09 Nov 2017

Can confirm that there's something poorer going on with CPU performance since VST's were added. It's 100% certain that it's choking with a few vst effects in use, and my gut tells me even without vst use, it's not as efficient - thought that's more of a feeling. Compared to Reaper, Live and Maschine - Reason is lagging far behind in CPU efficiency with VST's. I'm hoping for sure for a performance update sometime soon. That said - I'm so used to using Reason as a writing tool and bouncing out for mixing and using better instruments in other DAWs it's not a deal breaker - still find Reason to be a really creative space to work in. Sure would be nice to see become a one-stop place for creation to completion though, with stable, efficient use of VST support.

botnotbot

10 Nov 2017

Hey no offence but that's super off topic.

• Information