Noise Removal Questions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

17 Oct 2017

Hi All!

I was just thinking earlier, to anyone who has removed a sound from an audio clip using noise removal like you have on Audacity.

2 questions:-

1 - Don't you have to find a spot in the audio where the noise you want to remove from the audio is singled out, so it can analyse it?
2 - If there isn't a part where this happens, couldn't you add a section to the end of the audio clip and purposely record that noise (say it was a clock ticking, a foot tapping or someone coughing) and then join that section onto the clip so the precious clip and the new clip were now as one and then you will have that noise singled out within the same clip, then it could remove it?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Loque

17 Oct 2017

In theory you can use the noise to remove, flip the phase and mix it back at the same position and you are done. Check out this for a few more detailed tips: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7503197&hilit=noise+remove
Reason12, Win10

syncanonymous

17 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
17 Oct 2017
1 - Don't you have to find a spot in the audio where the noise you want to remove from the audio is singled out, so it can analyse it?
Create a Noise Profile or Noise Print is what you are talking about. NP is highly effective on broadband noise. You don't "have to" use a NP, you can use "adaptive" mode verses a "freeze" mode. Different NR softwares use different terminology. Currently, I only use Acon Digital Restoration Suite and Sonnox DeNoiser; I have used Adobe Soundbooth, Soundforge and trialed Sony Spectral Layers. Sonnox and Acon work a bit differently. Acon does adaptive or freeze or both; for Freeze, Acon wants a NP. Sonnox can freeze while playing back program material and it is highly effective at it, IMO. Adaptive is always reacting to the program material fed into it, and often will remove more wanted sound and create more artefacts. In use, Acon and Sonnox almost feel like they function in reverse of each other. I just did NR on three 20 minute "lectures" (groan) and there was radio cross talk that was impossible to remove. For the worst of the three talks, my best scenario was to mix a heavy NR adaptive with a medium freeze so the speaker didn't sound like he was under a blanket in a car wash for the entire 20 minutes.
Creativemind wrote:
17 Oct 2017
2 - If there isn't a part where this happens, couldn't you add a section to the end of the audio clip and purposely record that noise (say it was a clock ticking, a foot tapping or someone coughing) and then join that section onto the clip so the precious clip and the new clip were now as one and then you will have that noise singled out within the same clip, then it could remove it?
A clock ticking or a person coughing? Now you are talking about unwanted sounds, similar to the radio cross talk I was talking about above. Spectral Layers is the only NR software I know of that will deal unwanted sounds like that, maybe RX can handle some of that. You can try with NP, but you may only see a 25%-30% reduction, hence not really worth the effort. I was watching CNN last week and they REMOVE all the inhales. Sorry, CNN, but that is ludicrous and sounds unnaturally awful. For streaming purposes, tho, it could be a wise idea to remove all of that high freq info from the internet stream for more efficient transmission over slower connections. If you want to reduce things like buzz, hum, HVAC, traffic and audience noise, you can start with a DNz software and a NP will greatly help, yet you may need to use several different softwares to get the result somewhere near what you are after. Also, from my experience, I find the NR algorithms are far more effective on 24 bit material than 16 bit material.

Um, reading your question again, the issue here is one of the fundamental problems in Reason: extremely limited waveform height zoom. Logic is just as bad. Reaper sequencer waveform height zoom is pretty good; and SAW Studio is what I use, I don't know a DAW with better waveform height zoom than SAW.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Creativemind

18 Oct 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Um, reading your question again, the issue here is one of the fundamental problems in Reason: extremely limited waveform height zoom. Logic is just as bad. Reaper sequencer waveform height zoom is pretty good; and SAW Studio is what I use, I don't know a DAW with better waveform height zoom than SAW.
What is waveform height needed for then?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

syncanonymous

19 Oct 2017

to see the noise floor in quiet sections. It is also helpful when making a music cut so you can more easily see lower level info. You can line up waveforms across tracks a few tracks with great accuracy. You surely use it already in Reason, but there are only three zoom levels, which is not going to reveal a click ticking unless you have recorded it at unity; it barely reveals a typical inhale or lip smack. SAW has 16 waveform zoom height levels; which is too many and obviously no one wants to spend $1200-$2500 on a DAW nowadays (me included).

I posted some screen shots in another thread about Recycle which explains similar waveform zoom height issues in Reason.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7502704&start=25
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

• Information