Propellerhead Balance & OS HighSierra

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stevan

15 Oct 2017

Is Balance generally compatible with OS HighSierra ? I noticed unfortunately massive performance problems since I updated to the newest Apple OS . Very early audio crackling, even with high buffer/latency settings (512 and more) :roll:

jengstrom
Reason Studios

16 Oct 2017

I suppose when Apple make changes to their USB 2.0 Audio Device class driver, they sometimes cause some regression issues for some devices. I guess you have to ask Apple at this point whether they support the device or not.

stevan

16 Oct 2017

jengstrom wrote:
16 Oct 2017
I suppose when Apple make changes to their USB 2.0 Audio Device class driver, they sometimes cause some regression issues for some devices. I guess you have to ask Apple at this point whether they support the device or not.
... yepp, nice - they don't care about Propellerheads and Balance and I guess "Balance is not longer supported" is the answer from the PHS . "Purchase a new one !" I hate all that ... :evil:

jengstrom
Reason Studios

16 Oct 2017

That's not what I meant.
I work for PH, and I know we can't actively work on Balance. It has been out of production for a long time.

However, it is basically a future-proof USB 2.0 Audio Device, and Apple supports those.
They have also solved bugs in the past which had affected Balance, among other USB audio interfaces.
Now it's a matter of what Apple are willing to continue testing and fixing possible regression bugs for, as they probably continuously try to keep support best for the current crop of USB 2.0 audio devices, that all use the same driver shipped with Mac OS X.
So if you ask Apple, you might get a response.

sinusfiction

16 Oct 2017

I have no problems using Balance and High Sierra on a 2012 Mac Mini...
New album Who Needs Privacy on Spotify or Soundcloud

stevan

16 Oct 2017

Thanx guys

stevan

16 Oct 2017

I noticed a very strange behaviour now, I simply plugged the usb cable (from Balance) in a different usb port on my iMac and after that the problem seems gone ...
Then I started the iMac new, the problem is back. Now I changed the usb port again, problem is gone ... wtf

jengstrom
Reason Studios

17 Oct 2017

@stevan: That could be that it wants a little more power than the iMac is feeding to the USB port. In that case it can be solved using a powered hub, but there is usually some port that always works.

stevan

17 Oct 2017

jengstrom wrote:
17 Oct 2017
@stevan: That could be that it wants a little more power than the iMac is feeding to the USB port. In that case it can be solved using a powered hub, but there is usually some port that always works.
that sounds logical ... I'll try a powered hub soon, but it is still strange that I haven't any Problems before the HighSierra update
thanx

madmacman

17 Oct 2017

Sometimes (especially after system upgrades) a SMC reset could be a good idea:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/08/09/mac-usb- ... rking-fix/

And you can check the current draw of Balance in the system info:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... onsumption

stevan

17 Oct 2017

madmacman wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Sometimes (especially after system upgrades) a SMC reset could be a good idea:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/08/09/mac-usb- ... rking-fix/

And you can check the current draw of Balance in the system info:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... onsumption
Good advices ! Thanx ... I'll try it now :thumbs_up:

stevan

17 Oct 2017

I've done all that ... no change , after ca. 30 sec. playing the crackling comes slowly in and getting louder and louder .
Whatever, I ordered a new Audiointerface(not usb powered) and hope it solve my problems . I have not the time and the nerves
trying day for day to find the failure ... I wanna make music and I really regret it that I updated to 9.5.2 , because that was the
point where my trouble starts ... now I have to purchase a new interface and dump my beloved Balance, what comes next ?
New Mac ? :thumbs_down:

joeyluck

17 Oct 2017

Sorry to hear that. That's frustrating.

Sounds like it might have lasted longer than my Focusrite VRM Box.

So Focusrite made the VRM Software and had no plans of updating it. They sold a piece of proprietary hardware required to run the VRM software—the VRM Box. It hasn't worked for a while, at least since El Capitan when it stopped working... And Focusrite is a Hardware company, and a piece of their hardware I have is a paperweight now without an update. I won't be buying anything else from Focusrite.

madmacman

17 Oct 2017

stevan wrote:
17 Oct 2017
I've done all that ... no change , after ca. 30 sec. playing the crackling comes slowly in and getting louder and louder .
Pity :(

I must confess: I tried my Balance so far only as "playback" device since my upgrade to HighSierra. But I had a long session over 2-3 hours last Sunday without any noise issues.

Have fun with your new interface! :thumbs_up:

stevan

17 Oct 2017

Many thanx guys :thumbs_up: nothing last forever ... ;)

normen

17 Oct 2017

stevan wrote:
17 Oct 2017
nothing last forever ... ;)
...but the certainty of change ^^

stevan

18 Oct 2017

"I guess
everything flows
it comes as it goes" :puf_bigsmile:

WillyOD

18 Oct 2017

Balance is cool but it's a bit crashy. BSOD-y on the Windows platforms. Especially when plugging and unplugging Balance, it's a crapshoot whether your system crashes or not. So not really using the damn thing at all, which is kind of a shame.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

WillyOD

18 Oct 2017

I just love buying products and supporting companies (I know it's money making thing), and then they just abandon all.

I mean if you have a piece of hardware that constantly causes system halting crashes.... why not do something about it. You've had years.

I seriously hope Props keep out of the hardware business since they're support side is shite.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

• Information